Update on Kumho Solus KR-21's

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was in the market for tires, the Solus KR-21's were amongst the top of my list especially for the price. Due to having popular sizes of tires on all of our cars, each time I was ready to buy, the KR-21's were out of stock so, I chose another very good tire from my personal list of tire to buy.

I have introduced many family/friends to the KR-21's and all were happy with their purchaces. While visiting during these past holidays and getting together with family/friends, good food/drink and conversation, many of us were able to discuss the KR-21's in detail and that happiness has diminished somewhat mainly due to the lack of longivity of the tires themselves and not so much the quality, but one issue in paricular(a radial pull).

2 folks/vehicles in particular. '04 Chevy Venture FWD Mini-Van and '07 Honda Pilot AWD/SUV, both weighing in at over 4000lbs.

Family members '04 Venture with 215-70-15:
After about 30K miles the tires are at or below 4/32nds of treadlife remaining. Although the tread on all 4 tires is even all across the tread pattern, they have worn quickly to that point even with proper maintenance(balance/rotation).

The tires still track well on the highway and hydroplaning resistance is only [OK] but have gotten squirmy in the handling dept. Not that these tire were know for their handling prowess but, did quite well up until recently. Prior winter travel was confident but is quite questionable now and the tires will be replaced soon.

Friends '07 Pilot with 235-70-16:
Quite the same story here as well. With about 30K-35K miles, the tires are wearing quickly with one tire wearing more so than the other 3.

Tires have be maintained as well and one tire has developed a very noticable radial pull which is gone with a tire rotation(moved to the rear). As with the Chevy Venture, this Pilot's Kumho tires are all wearing evenly across the tread pattern with no noticable scalping/cupping.

These tires track straight on the highway but have lost some of their confident feeling at speeds over 65-70 mph(vehicle seems to sway) and now make the Pilot feel a bit sloppy. Around town driving is OK as well, smooth and quiet.

Neither group of tires has developed any loud noises that some others(reviews) have complained about but, both owners are now in the market for new tires again after only about 2+ years of ownership and >30K miles. Sure both familys can travel further on their tires(~10K miles) but as the winter is approaching(very little snow thus far), they'er both becoming concerned with so few 32nds remaining on all the tires.

When the KR-21's do go out of balance, a rebalance seems to cure that just fine which has been one of their good points(ease of balance) as was their foul weather capabilities for an A/S tire.

For a tire that I have recomended to other in my circle of family/friends and here at BITOG and also was strongly considering these tires myself, I wanted to share the experience of those in my circle and their feeling with the KR-21's

Last edited:
I've heard quite a bit about how fast they wear...seems to be common all the way down to the compact class.

If you can get these tires at a good price, and know you will only get about 60-65% tire life, then you'd be fine...

I posted about this about 18 months ago. You feel you're getting a good deal until you realize it is only a 40,000 mile tire. The set I had were done at 38,000 miles. All 4 on the wear bars.

The tire has an 85,000 mile warranty. If they are worn down to 2/32ths by 40,000 miles then you can get a new set for 47% of new cost. Of course, that's providing you used the vehicle manufacturer's recommended size.

Well, these folks that I refreing to don't want to take the tires down to 2/32nds in order to use the Pro-Rated Warranty as they both bought them online and it's a bit of a hastle. It's the price that you have to pay! But, not only that, I beleive they both want to try other tires.

Can someone point out another way that one can use the Pro Rating with still about 4/32nds of tread remaining?

Last edited:
Forgive me for being blunt. I wouldn't buy another Kumho tire if it left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. They are complete junk. My daughter's KR21s were all out of round with less than 12,000 miles on them. Thank goodness for Ken at Fairhope Tire, who replaced them without any questions. He has sent every Kumho tire he had in inventory back to the distributor. They come nowhere near to the advertised mileage and are often out of round. My mother's Highlander has one out of round that we're trying to deal with. The place she bought the set from went out of business. Again, I'll never use or recommend Kumho. Rant over.

kumhos seem to be hit and miss, even with the same model some will have great luck others will have problems with all 4, i have had 2 sets of kumhos and won't buy another, both sets constantly left me with flats and the last set flat spotted after sitting more then 5 hrs.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
The tire has an 85,000 mile warranty. If they are worn down to 2/32ths by 40,000 miles then you can get a new set for 47% of new cost. Of course, that's providing you used the vehicle manufacturer's recommended size.

Discount Tire honored the warranty. I has a second set put on the car. I sold it a few months later.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Well, these folks that I refreing to don't want to take the tires down to 2/32nds in order to use the Pro-Rated Warranty as they both bought them online and it's a bit of a hastle. It's the price that you have to pay! But, not only that, I beleive they both want to try other tires.

Can someone point out another way that one can use the Pro Rating with still about 4/32nds of tread remaining?

generally speaking you have to take them to 2/32 for the warranty.. anyone who sells kumho can treadlife warranty them.

You might get lucky and have them do it at 4/32 with a reduced pro rating.

One of the reasons I'm not real fond of treadlife warranty..

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Forgive me for being blunt. I wouldn't buy another Kumho tire if it left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. They are complete junk. My daughter's KR21s were all out of round with less than 12,000 miles on them. Thank goodness for Ken at Fairhope Tire, who replaced them without any questions. He has sent every Kumho tire he had in inventory back to the distributor. They come nowhere near to the advertised mileage and are often out of round. My mother's Highlander has one out of round that we're trying to deal with. The place she bought the set from went out of business. Again, I'll never use or recommend Kumho. Rant over.

No forgiveness needed! This is the type of review that Kumho needs to hear in order to improve their product and consumers need to read in order to make informed choices.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

generally speaking you have to take them to 2/32 for the warranty.. anyone who sells kumho can treadlife warranty them.

You might get lucky and have them do it at 4/32 with a reduced pro rating.

One of the reasons I'm not real fond of treadlife warranty..

Yeah, I've never been fond of treadlife warrantys either. IMHO, 1/2 tread(4-5 32nds) is about the lowest that I want to be at any point in time and that's only in good weather. When it comes to foul weather/winter, most of us want new(er).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back