Update on engine oil temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usual 1 hour mowing.

It was hot today. 90*F Very humid.

Temp immediately after shutdown 12" down the oil tube was 204*F..

I need to mow my Dad's yard on Wednesday, he has a Cub Cadet Tractor with a 20 HP Kohler Engine, the block is aluminum, I have an infrared gun so when I am done mowing I will take the oil cap off and shoot it down near the oil inside the engine.

Pete591, I am going to mow my Dad's lawn on Wednesday, but today I went around with my 6 HP Briggs push mower and did some trimming where I cannot get the Cub Cadet in certain areas, I mowed for about half an hour.

This mower is 12 years old and I have Amsoil 4-Cycle 30 weight synthetic oil with 3 ounces of MMO, I took a temp reading when I was done by aiming the infrared gun down the oil tube, so hopefully I hit the oil.

The temp I got was 180 degrees, I am not sure if your way of doing it with a thermometer or probe that is stuck in the oil is more accurate. The temperature outside was about 90 degrees.

I will report back with the reading on the Cub Cadet tommorow, this Cub Cadet has some sort of cold air scoop on it that goes over the engine and it has a cold air scoop on both sides, so basically you are not sucking in hot engine air, so I do not know if this will affect the temperatures.

This mower has about 80 hours on it, and my Dad is running about 3 ounces of MMO in the oil.

I took a few temps after using the mower for 2 hours in 90 degree weather. The oil filter had a temp of 175 degrees and this is the strange part, the oil temp was 180 degrees, but when I did it a second time it was 195 degrees, I think I am leaning towards the 195 degree mark.

This is the Cub cadet Tractor with the 20 HP Kohler Engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c3po
I took a few temps after using the mower for 2 hours in 90 degree weather. The oil filter had a temp of 175 degrees and this is the strange part, the oil temp was 180 degrees, but when I did it a second time it was 195 degrees, I think I am leaning towards the 195 degree mark.

Probably due to the fan not running/cooling any more,automobiles do the same thing after shut down.They actually get a little hotter at first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: c3po

Probably due to the fan not running/cooling any more,automobiles do the same thing after shut down.They actually get a little hotter at first.

What you said makes perfect sense, I just wanted too post my readings, I will say that a probe touching the oil for a temperature may be more accurate than an infrared gun, by how much I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back