Update me please on the battery market/what's reliable, etc.

Anything from East Penn, Napa Legend, Deka and a few others. These were the original makers for the DieHard, all are great batteries.
I buy a lot of batteries the worst have been Walmart, AA, anything Johnson controls. The best by far were the EP made DieHards, Napa Legend and Deka.
When I need a battery and can wait I wait till Napa has a sale or if I need it today I just go to the local Napa store and buy it.
The batteries at my local Walmart are all East Penns.

Anything from East Penn, Napa Legend, Deka and a few others. These were the original makers for the DieHard, all are great batteries.

East Penn isn't the original maker for Diehard batteries. I've never seen a Diehard battery made by East Penn, all the ones I've ever seen were obviously Johnson Controls batteries. EDIT: The original maker for Diehard batteries was Globe-Union, a company later purchased by Johnson Controls.

"In Cook County Circuit Court, Sears sued former employee Gary Marks of Lake Zurich, charging that he had accepted bribes to steer the DieHard contract to Exide from Johnson Controls Inc., the original manufacturer of DieHard, a brand created by Sears 35 years ago."

Last edited:
I buy a lot of batteries the worst have been Walmart, AA, anything Johnson controls. The best by far were the EP made DieHards, Napa Legend and Deka.
When I need a battery and can wait I wait till Napa has a sale or if I need it today I just go to the local Napa store and buy it.
Trav, what's your opinion on AC Delco batteries. Thanks.

At some point Enersys made them, as I owned a few of them.

AGMs or standard batteries? Far as I can determine Enersys only makes AGM car batteries. They may have made standard (wet cell) car batteries at one time, but that must have been quite a long time ago.

AGMs or standard batteries? Far as I can determine Enersys only makes AGM car batteries. They may have made standard (wet cell) car batteries at one time, but that must have been quite a long time ago.
Was the Platinum. Here the ones in my Fj62 and Yaris.

Fj62 DieHard-1.jpg

Yaris DieHard-1.jpg

I know, if they do I wont be buying them again especially if they go to Johnson controls, I never had a single good one.
Just about everyone of the JC flooded cell batteries I’ve seen over the last 3 years have leaked. That’s quite a few leaking Motorcraft batteries when you work at a Ford dealership.

Trav, what's your opinion on AC Delco batteries. Thanks.

GM sold their battery division to Johnson Controls (now Clarios). There's really no telling who makes their batteries, and they could be sourced from any number of different companies.

The carmakers are fairly brand agnostic. To them, these are commodity parts that meet a minimum standard that they're fine with. I remember looking under the hood of a Honda in a showroom back in the 1990s, and it had a Delco Freedom battery back when GM made it.

I'll just say I had a decent experience with an ACDelco battery back around 2003. I found a specialty parts store that mostly carried ACDelco parts, and they even had a Group 51R that I needed for my 1995 Integra GS-R.

East Penn isn't the original maker for Diehard batteries. I've never seen a Diehard battery made by East Penn, all the ones I've ever seen were obviously Johnson Controls batteries. EDIT: The original maker for Diehard batteries was Globe-Union, a company later purchased by Johnson Controls.

"In Cook County Circuit Court, Sears sued former employee Gary Marks of Lake Zurich, charging that he had accepted bribes to steer the DieHard contract to Exide from Johnson Controls Inc., the original manufacturer of DieHard, a brand created by Sears 35 years ago."

The East Penn ( Deka) plant is local to me. I never worked there, but have known many that did. They definitely did manufacture the Sears Diehard battery for many years. I'm fairly sure that they held the original contract for Sears. Not sure when the contract went to Johnson Controls, perhaps late 90's, early 2000's.

The Deka employees had a bennie ( maybe they still do?) of two free batteries a year. Employees were always getting hounded by family and friends for a free Diehard.

Exactly right ^^^^^^^^^^^

Hell.... The darn Diehard batteries at K Mart near me were all East Penn made batteries....that was in 2014- 2017 until that store was closed down.

The DieHards sold in the last 15 years by Sears were either EP or JC, the product number had the EP or JC at the beginning, the EP usually costed a bit more for the same size battery. There was also a regional thing going on like with Walmart, here there are no EP they are all JC and not very good.

They definitely did manufacture the Sears Diehard battery for many years. I'm fairly sure that they held the original contract for Sears. Not sure when the contract went to Johnson Controls, perhaps late 90's, early 2000's.

EDIT: Are you sure it wasn't the Exide plant that your buddies worked at? It's only 30 minutes from the East Penn plant...

From the Jun 8, 1997 Milwaukee Business Journal I linked previously:

"Three years after losing a $170 million contract to make Sears DieHard car batteries, Johnson Controls Inc. is in the running to win some of that business back.

In April 1994, Sears Roebuck & Co. severed its ties with the Glendale manufacturer which made the DieHard for 27 years. Sears awarded contracts to Reading, Pa.-based Exide Corp. and the A-C Delco unit of General Motors Corp."

1994 - 27 = 1967

1967 is when the DieHard was introduced. As I stated previously, Globe-Union was the original company that Sears contracted with to make their batteries in 1967. Globe-Union was purchased by Johnson Controls in 1979.

Last edited:
Back