UOA - PU 5w30 / 5,601 miles / 2011 G37x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a problem generic to this engine family, or could this just be a badly built example?
Would this engine show less wear metal in a UOA were a thicker oil used?
OTOH, is this wear really abnormal for this engine family?
As you have noted elsewhere, we are talking about parts per million and this engine design may just tend to shed more metal than most of those we see.
If PU really is all that, this engine may need something more than a thirty grade, or can you think of a scenario where another API SN thirty grade would likely give better results?
If I were the OP, I wouldn't be turning cartwheels over the wear numbers my newly broken in engine is showing.
I'd be a little concerned, although if current wear metal numbers remain consistent over the miles, I'd feel a little better.

Agree with Mr. Newton. I couldn't begin to draw a conclusion here.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
This is not break in issues by now; the Al and Cr are settled.

The Cu, Pb and Tn all indiate a wear issue. I've not got a lot of data on this particular engine yet, so I cannot give direct sigma numbers to help, but generally we should expect these number are probably at least "normal" in total deviation. I suspect there is some abnormalities to be excluded from the data, but with numbers like some of these, he might actually be providing data that is actualy doing the skewing of data ... Please understand that we really don't have enough macro data yet on this to find real statistical numbers. So some of this is presumptive at this point.

But what is concerning is that the Cu has stabilized, but at a number much higher than average. The Pb is up, and the Tn has come out of no where.

Something is afoot. I would stick with the current course and let the data develop.

I would also point out that, for such an expensive oil, would we not expect "better" performance? Yes - I'm poking at the PU topic here. But fair is fair; how many times do we hear about how superior PU is? Well - where's the proof in this UOA? How great is this lube doing? I will fully admit we don't have enough data to really make a determination here, but so very often we see folks jump on one UOA and praise a synthetic. The shoe is not on the other foot; this one PU UOA really isn't impressive now, is it? (I am being purposely provacative here to get people to see the folly of praising or punishing a singular UOA). I really don't believe the PU to be at fault, but I'm enjoying the ability to poke at the PU here. Too many people look at one UOA and just fall in love with a synthetic. How lovely is this looking now? If you can love a fluid from one UOA, then in fairness you'd have to swallow this spoonful of disappointment, too.

I'll offer this realistic question as an observation:
is there a reason to believe that the PU is failing here, or it there a mechanical problem that no oil will be able to overcome?

Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: jddssc121
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Your VQ needs a 40 weight oil.

my warranty begs to differ
smile.gif

These Nissan VQs seem to be similar to Subaru turbos in that they require 30wt in the manual but seem to prefer 40wt in the engine. Does Nissan require GF-5?

The best reasonably available oil for a Subaru turbo under warranty is Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w30. Like GC, it's an ACEA A3 thick 30wt, but it's also API SN and has some nice language on the PDS about meeting the emissions system protection requirements of GF-5 and not voiding new car warranties. It's of course not officially GF-5 or Resource Conserving, but it seems a good compromise between warranty preservation and bearing protection.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
These Nissan VQs seem to be similar to Subaru turbos in that they require 30wt in the manual but seem to prefer 40wt in the engine. Does Nissan require GF-5?

Yes, or GF-4 or better, depending when the manual was printed. The MaxLife suggestion (even the blend) isn't a bad idea at all, given that Ashland assures us it's acceptable for new car warranties.

post warranty my inner oil geek wants to throw Rotella T6 into it
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you can (and would) extend your OCI out to meet the ROI.

If you are itching for 5w40 , here is something you can try. It will cost you higher initially , but over the period of 5 oci it should equate roughly to the same cost for PU.

You vehicle should take 5.15 qts or so approximately. I would purchase a gallon jug of T6 from wally world. Use the mixture :

1QT Rotella T6 + Rest with PP 5w30 SN.

This should give you the following viscosity approximately :

@40C : 61.3 ( Still in the 5w30 spectrum weight )
@100C : 11.1 ( Higher end of the 5w30 range for protection at operating temps. )
VI : 176

They are both SOPUS products, so they should work well with each other. More importantly , this mixture will raise your HT/HS over regular 5w30 weight oil giving you more protection at operating temp. Hopefully it should help you lower your wear down.

If the Blackstone averages column reflects the VQ37, then I see nothing wrong. Only lead is double at 10ppm vs 5ppm. Will a higher viscosity help there? Would it matter for the life of the engine?

The oil itself appears to be in great condition. Go 7,500 miles next time.
wink.gif

Disclaimer: I am a casual observer, not a professional in this field.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you can (and would) extend your OCI out to meet the ROI.

I actually snagged quite a few of the gallon bottles when they were on sale at O'Reilys for $16/each. (used them for WRX). I've got a stockpile of T6 in my garage
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Your VQ needs a 40 weight oil.

my warranty begs to differ
smile.gif

Then pour the 30 weight on your warranty and try 40 weight in your engine.
grin.gif

LMAO

+2

I have been using Redline 5W-30 in my 09 370Z with the VQ37 engine with good results. Do a search in this section for posts under my user name to see 3 Blackstone Reports taken at 10K, 15K and 25K miles. The car now has about 28K miles on it and oil consumption seems to have dropped too which I am happy about. I was using 1.5 qts. between 5K OCI's and I have only added 1/2 qt. in 3000 miles since the last change.

smile.gif

That's what I'm currently running in my VQ35. I posted up some good results from an 8k mile UOA here and someone said it was " a disservice to my engine" lol

Originally Posted By: FCobra94
smile.gif

That's what I'm currently running in my VQ35. I posted up some good results from an 8k mile UOA here and someone said it was " a disservice to my engine" lol

I used M1 TDT in my FX45 with great results (you can search the UOAs) but DI with API SM is not advisable, and I doubt you will see an API SN HDEO.

If you stay with a 30 weight then use Mobil 1 HM 5W30... An excellent oil for your application. I have used Mobil 1 HM in new motors for years.

Your other option could be Mobil 1 0W40....

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
If you stay with a 30 weight then use Mobil 1 HM 5W30... An excellent oil for your application. I have used Mobil 1 HM in new motors for years.

my other other option is to accelerate my F10 335 purchase
smile.gif

smile.gif

What you gonna run in that? lol 14k OCIs

Originally Posted By: FCobra94

smile.gif

What you gonna run in that? lol 14k OCIs

Whatever Castrol they put in w/ the free maint
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back