UOA Penn ULTRA 5w20 08 Ford F150 5.4 3v FX4 91,530

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: USAFACE
dnewton3, I read your article and try to comprehend as much as I could on everything. I understand one of your test subjects was a 4.6 Ford but this engine is still alot different than my 5.4 if I recall correctly the 4.6 does not have cam phasers, and since it does not it would mot have variable cam timing, and the heads are only 2v on the 4.6. I understand what your point is on universal averages even with adding in the differences between using conventional and synthetic, short ot long OCI ect. But this is also the first UOA I have ever done on this truck. So giving my usage and different variables my iron count does not necessarily mean my engine is hurt somewhere. Please don't find offense to what I am saying. I am kinda new to this stuff even though I have been reading here for awhile. Im just thinking out loud. -Cody

You need to go back and read my article again. And then again. And again.

The 5.4L engine is an outgrowth of the 4.6L, as is the 6.8L (being a 5.4L with two additional cylinders). No, they are not "the same" (as in identical). But they are VERY similar.

In my article, I CLEARLY speak to the topics of viscosity, various mod-motors, varying environments, different uses, etc. The fact that yours is a 3-v versus a 2v head, does not make any difference. Nor does the vis. The variance of mass-market inputs is already accounted for in macro-data analysis. The mass-market macro data average for Fe is 3.2 ppm per 1k miles. You are essentially 3x that high. In particular, read the last paragraph in the 4.6L section of my article. I clearly establish the wide variance of motors, use, environments, lube brands and grades, etc as inputs. And yet the outputs are extremely consistent.

I have successfully run dino oils for 10k miles in nearly a year. I am currently running a dino oil for up to 15k miles. Not for one second do I think your engine is going to suffer if you use a dino for a year. I run multiple-year OCIs in many pieces of my equipment, including my Kubota, my Dmax, my Mustang. All on dino oils.

Go back and read my article. It is not the super-duper synthetic molecule that reduces wear in short-to-moderate OCIs; it is the tribo-chemical barrier established by the desirable oxidation of the lube that lays down a protective boundary between parts. This is proven in the Ford/Conoco SAE study, and it's echoed in my thousands of UOAs.

You have a choice; you can listen to a bunch of hyped up syn-loving rhetoric and mythology, or you can learn from facts and data. I was a syn-loving junkie myself many, many years ago. But then I started to really analyze the inputs and outputs, and ignored the hype. I am not saying synthetic fluids are not viable, or that they are a bad product. In fact, I do use synthetic fluids in some of my applications. But they are NOT a one-size-fits-all answer for every OCI.

You can listen to the rhetoric, and succumb to the marketing hype, or ...
You can reread my article with a clear and open mind, purchase and read the SAE study (2007-01-4133), and review 2010_FX4's clear testing of PU versus MS5K.

Here's what I suggest you do:
1) continue on your current path, and keep taking UOAs. Establish your "baseline". Do this for a few years.
2) step out of your comfort zone and then run a dino under the same conditions, without all the extra "help" of fuel cleaners, etc.

It's your choice, do as you see fit. If facts and data will not convince you, then nothing will.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
dnewton3, I read our article and try to comprehend as much as I could on everything. I understand one of your test subjects was a 4.6 Ford but this engine is still alot different than my 5.4 if I recall correctly the 4.6 does not have cam phasers, and since it does not it would mot have variable cam timing, and the heads are only 2v on the 4.6. understand what your point is on universal averages even with adding in the differences between using conventional and synthetic, short ot long OCI ect. But this is also the first UOA I have ever done on this truck. So giving my usage and different variables my iron count does not necessarily mean my engine is hurt somewhere. Please don't find offense to what I am saying. I am kinda new to this stuff even though I have been reading here for awhile. Im just thinking out loud. -Cody

You need to go back and read my article again. And then again. And again.

The 5.4L engine is an outgrowth of the 4.6L, as is the 6.8L (being a 5.4L with two additional cylinders). No, they are not "the same" (as in identical). But they are VERY similar.

In my article, I CLEARLY speak to the topics of viscosity, various mod-motors, varying environments, different uses, etc. The fact that yours is a 3-v versus a 2v head, does not make any difference. Nor does the vis. The variance of mass-market inputs is already accounted for in macro-data analysis. The mass-market macro data average for Fe is 3.2 ppm per 1k miles. You are essentially 3x that high. In particular, read the last paragraph in the 4.6L section of my article. I clearly establish the wide variance of motors, use, environments, lube brands and grades, etc as inputs. And yet the outputs are extremely consistent.

I have successfully run dino oils for 10k miles in nearly a year. I am currently running a dino oil for up to 15k miles. Not for one second do I think your engine is going to suffer if you use a dino for a year. I run multiple-year OCIs in many pieces of my equipment, including my Kubota, my Dmax, my Mustang. All on dino oils.

Go back and read my article. It is not the super-duper synthetic molecule that reduces wear in short-to-moderate OCIs; it is the tribo-chemical barrier established by the desirable oxidation of the lube that lays down a protective boundary between parts. This is proven in the Ford/Conoco SAE study, and it's echoed in my thousands of UOAs.

You have a choice; you can listen to a bunch of hyped up syn-loving rhetoric and mythology, or you can learn from facts and data. I was a syn-loving junkie myself many, many years ago. But then I started to really analyze the inputs and outputs, and ignored the hype. I am not saying synthetic fluids are not viable, or that they are a bad product. In fact, I do use synthetic fluids in some of my applications. But they are NOT a one-size-fits-all answer for every OCI.

You can listen to the rhetoric, and succumb to the marketing hype, or ...
You can reread my article with a clear and open mind, purchase and read the SAE study (2007-01-4133), and review 2010_FX4's clear testing of PU versus MS5K.

Here's what I suggest you do:
1) continue on your current path, and keep taking UOAs. Establish your "baseline". Do this for a few years.
2) step out of your comfort zone and then run a dino under the same conditions, without all the extra "help" of fuel cleaners, etc.

It's your choice, do as you see fit. If facts and data will not convince you, then nothing will.

I willl go read it again. I understand what you are getting at and I am not in anyway scared to run the dino in my truck nor am I scared about running 5w20. But are there any oils that "cling" to the metals better for more start up protection since I do that quite frequently and then on the other extreme not for days, trying to help reduce that famous 5.4 start up clatter?

I also hate the fact terribly bad that your data is pointing out something is wrong with my engine. Based on the iron numbers.

I will continue to run my current fill the same interval, drop it and do a UOA try to see what is "normal" for my truck. Then make a decision to continue my use of a synthetic( I do have a few more bottles of PU and PP in my stash) or switch to a quality dino.

So what dino are you going to run up to 15k and in what equipment?

On another note I understand that there could also be some chemistry working between the previous oil fill and the last one that the UOA was done on, along with oxidation. These things could make it seem worse than it really is.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I fully understand that no two drivers/trucks are the same, however, there are more than enough UOAs and anecdotal experience available for Ford Modulars to indicate that his UOA is not what I would consider optimum. Certainly not speaking against the OP or anyone in particular, but there are plenty of posts here on BITOG where vehicle owners think they know more than the engineers that designed a particular vehicle. In the case of Ford Modular engines (specifically trucks that tow) there are folks who think that 5W-20 is not good enough and switch to an xW-30 (or 40) from the stance it will protect the engine "better". xW-30 (or 40) can only protect the engine "better" if 5W-20 were not doing so in the first place. I have 100K worth of UOAs that have seen varying operating conditions (including towing in Nevada and Montana at 110F+ heat) and 5W-20 (both in synthetic and conventional) has not shown that "more" protection is needed and my engine is not the only example of this, either.
Look at the uoa,again. As I pointed out his 5w-20 thickend out of grade.

So how will running a 5W-30 help with that? His insolubles were 0.1 (nearly zero oxidation) and there does not appear to be any other cause for it thickening. In fact, 11.5 is right in the middle of the range of a 5W-30 (any chance the lab made a mistake on the sample?) As someone else already pointed out the calcium is not correct for Pennzoil Ultra in either SM or SN.

On another note I understand that there could also be some chemistry working between the previous oil fill and the last one that the UOA was done on, along with oxidation. These things could make it seem worse than it really is.

Your insolubles were 0.1; unless the lab is using a different scale that the one that I use this is almost zero oxidation. Did they have any notes regarding high oxidation?

Your insolubles were 0.1; unless the lab is using a different scale that the one that I use this is almost zero oxidation. Did they have any notes regarding high oxidation?

No they actually didn't, I am begining to wonder if they gave me results from a different sample and not my actual one by mistake.

Last edited:

No they actually didn't, I am begining to wonder if they gave me results from a different sample and not my actual one by mistake.

Me too! Three things (maybe 4) come to mind--Calcium and boron levels seem to be too low for PU (even for SN), viscosity right in the middle of a 5W-30, the iron PPM level for such low miles, and the sodium level seems to be a little high for a "residual" reading (nearly 25% of the levels of MS5K--not saying this was the oil, just comparing). You can always UOA the next OC and see where you stand--you need some trending information to form a basis.
wink.gif

I fully understand that no two drivers/trucks are the same, however, there are more than enough UOAs and anecdotal experience available for Ford Modulars to indicate that his UOA is not what I would consider optimum. Certainly not speaking against the OP or anyone in particular, but there are plenty of posts here on BITOG where vehicle owners think they know more than the engineers that designed a particular vehicle. In the case of Ford Modular engines (specifically trucks that tow) there are folks who think that 5W-20 is not good enough and switch to an xW-30 (or 40) from the stance it will protect the engine "better". xW-30 (or 40) can only protect the engine "better" if 5W-20 were not doing so in the first place. I have 100K worth of UOAs that have seen varying operating conditions (including towing in Nevada and Montana at 110F+ heat) and 5W-20 (both in synthetic and conventional) has not shown that "more" protection is needed and my engine is not the only example of this, either.
Look at the uoa,again. As I pointed out his 5w-20 thickend out of grade.

So how will running a 5W-30 help with that? His insolubles were 0.1 (nearly zero oxidation) and there does not appear to be any other cause for it thickening. In fact, 11.5 is right in the middle of the range of a 5W-30 (any chance the lab made a mistake on the sample?) As someone else already pointed out the calcium is not correct for Pennzoil Ultra in either SM or SN.
You don't get it. He ran a 5w-20 and it thickend out of the 5w-20 grade. He needs an oil with higher hths and the 5w-30 provides that.

You don't get it. He ran a 5w-20 and it thickend out of the 5w-20 grade. He needs an oil with higher hths and the 5w-30 provides that.

What caused it to thicken out of grade?

Quote:
So why would my iron level be high? Just because of the short trip and quick turn on the off run times when I am shuffling cars? Sometimes the truck does not ge started for days.

Another theory as to high iron:

If it does not get started for days, then it could be that the cylinders are seeing a slight bit of rusting, due to a slight bit of moisture accumulation because you're not burning off enough moisture due to low oil temps.

And as others have suggested, reduce the effect of additional variables by NOT adding additional chemicals.

Last edited:

Interesting point. It happens too, which could render the UOA totally worthless for you. I'd get that cleared up first before worrying about the results of the report and how good or bad it was.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back