UOA Mower w/Kohler 15HP Engine, Amsoil MCT

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

Below is a UOA on my Toro 36 inch walk-behind mower with Kohler 15HP engine. The previous UOA, from late September 2008, was using Mobil 1 EP 10W-30. The current UOA with with Amsoil MCT 10W-30. Note the Zinc and Phosphorus - a really stout additive pack in this oil. Note that this engine has a pressurized lubrication system, on which I used a Mobil 1 M1-102 filter. Although I may have overestimated the hours this oil was in use (I do not have an hours meter), I am very impressed with the performance of this oil. This mower cuts about 10 small lawns (about .25 of an acre) each week. Oil has been in use since early Spring this year. Comments? I intend to stay with this oil.

Toro_Mower.jpg

Originally Posted By: btanchors
The Mobil 1 filter is available at Advance Auto Parts, a chain auto parts store, for $9.99.

Let me ask you 2 questions, did you have the Mobil 1 oil filter on there with the other oil and do you think your fantastic UOA has more to do with the oil meaning the Amsoil or the oil filter. If you used the Mobil 1 oil filter before then I would say it is the oil.

I may get this Mobil 1 oil filter for my Dad's Cub Cadet that has a Kohler Engine because the Super Tech oil filter was a pain to get off, I think it is because the oil filter gasket is cheap, I know the Mobil 1 oil filter has a better gasket so I will probably give this filter a try.

I used the same filter (as in a Mobil 1 M1-102, but the filter was changed when the Amsoil oil was installed) with the previous oil as well.

I would stick with this oil and take it out to 150 hrs then pull another sample, heck you could probably do 200 hrs.

NICE add. pack with the Amsoil!

HIGH TBN on both.

I may run it in my mowers also.

Hey, it may be good to run it in my Saturn!

btanchors,

Thanks for sharing. To the rest of us with small engines, this is interesting to know. If you were taking "requests" for your next oil to run, as a comparison, I'd like to see you run any of the following:

1) Amsoil ACD 10W30/SAE 30 diesel engine oil.

2) Amsoil ASE 10W30/SAE 30 4 stroke small engine oil

3) Amsoil WCT 10W30 marine oil

4) Redline 5W30

Are Kohler engines easy on oils (like Honda engines) or generally hard on oils?

Quote:

Based on UOA's and rsults posted on this board, very easy!!
thumbsup2.gif

Amsoil MCT 10W-30 is motorcycle oil, any reason this oil was used when Amsoil has a 4- Cycle 10W-30 motor oil for small engines.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

Kohler Commands are known to run scorching hot in some conditions/applications. Usually in very hot climates and being run for long/hard hours. Pretty much the case w/ any small air cooled engine. Other than that, I've never heard of an oil (or oiling) related issue with them. FWIW, I run Rotella-T 5w40 and oversized off the shelf filters on mine. This oil drains out almost looking new enough to put into something else. I change it every ~30-50hrs which is a year to 1.5yrs for me. I totally don't see the value in keeping the same oil in a Kohler Command for ~250hrs unless you run the thing 50hrs/week. You're talking 1-2qts of oil here in a $1000 engine.

Joel

Last edited:
Best F100,

Thank you for your comments - I agree it would be an interesting test to compare the running of all those oils - but consider this - For the two samples I performed UOAs, it took all season to get enough usage on the engine to make testing worthwhile. Since the mower/engine isn't used in the winter, it would take me a year to test each sample - so I don't think I'm going to be able to accomodate your request (Although admittedly, I would love to do it). Plus, I am already pretty broke running the oil filter comparisons between the Mobil 1 and Amsoil EaO filters.

benjamming - sump capacity is just under 2 quarts.

Steve S - The air filter is the standard air filter (Kohler brand).

c3po - I chose this oil after consulting with Amsoil comparing MCT with ASE. I was seeking an oil that had similar characteristics as ASE but could last for an entire season of commercial grass cutting. Amsoil indicated that MCT was a better oil than ASE and that its TBN retention might be stronger than ASE. That's why I chose MCT...

I see your reasoning for using the MCT, thanks for pointing out the TBN retention, that makes sense.

I have a 54 inch 27HP Cub Cadet GT1554. I switched it to Amsoil 5w30 and so far I haven't had to top of the oil in maybe 10 mowings I probably mow 6 acres. I wait till to grass just gets noticably taller than I usually cut it. I don't know how many hours. Does anyone have any advice about synthetics in those engines aside from the fact that they should last longer? I know I should probably use the 10w30 for small engines also made by Amsoil. I use the 5w30 in a Dodge Neon and just buy extra, I use it in my push mower also and it seems to help a bit in thicker grass. I like full synthetics, I think it is a waste to buy semi synthetic when for the same price you can have full. The only reason my second car didn't get it was I wasn't into synthetics as much and I had 80k on my LeBarons 3.0 and I was afraid there might be a leak to unclog. I know synthetics don't cause leaks but clean the junk out of a potential leak so I know that there a lot of myths about synthetics. They might be from people who unkowingly opened a leak and gave synthetics a bad rap. I don't sell Amsoil, I just like to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back