UOA from Russia: Honda CRV 2.4L - Liqui Moly 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
avss1 said:
OVERK1LL said:
I used both Mobil 1 5w20 and Delvac 1 5w40 and the difference between the two in terms of UOA results were negligible.

understand. but i think Silicon is the reason, not viscosity of oil.

Originally Posted By: avss1
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
avss1 said:
OVERK1LL said:
I used both Mobil 1 5w20 and Delvac 1 5w40 and the difference between the two in terms of UOA results were negligible.

understand. but i think Silicon is the reason, not viscosity of oil.

That could very well be the case. My reply was more meant in reference to those saying that the oil is too thick.

There is 0w-20 is manual
smile.gif
Pretty much you can run 20,30 and 40 in this car judging by manual. In horrible Moscow traffic I would follow severe OCI.

5w-20 does not exist in Honda manual for Russia.

Weird how that works. Zero emission laws and the result is... No 0w10 oil viscosity recommendation in the manual. Interesting.
grin.gif

avss1,
I am 99% sure that this is because of cold starts during our national winter. I know that almost all oils are xW40. How hard is to find 0W30 or 5W30 synthetic oil? Try to use them on winter, it will definitely help.

Udachi!

Originally Posted By: timeau
avss1,
I am 99% sure that this is because of cold starts during our national winter. I know that almost all oils are xW40. How hard is to find 0W30 or 5W30 synthetic oil? Try to use them on winter, it will definitely help.

yes, winter adds some wear. I'm testing 5w-40 oil in my Hyundai Tucson 2,7 L since Jan 2011. 5300 miles OCI from Jan to Apr - 30 ppm of Iron. 6120 miles from May to August - 18 ppm. I'll show full test results next week.
No problem to find synthetic 0w-30/5w-30 in Russia. The real problem is to find xW-20 and 10W-30. xW-20 we can buy as Genuine oil for japaneese car, but 10W-30 - nobody knows why this grade does exist?
grin.gif

No problem to find synthetic 0w-30/5w-30 in Russia. The real problem is to find xW-20 and 10W-30. xW-20 we can buy as Genuine oil for japaneese car,

At least in my city (about 700 km to the East from Moscow) this was a real problem ;-) Almost all oils were xW40 or xW50.

but 10W-30 - nobody knows why this grade does exist?
grin.gif

I like it. It has much less viscosity improver and more shear stable. In Maryland (where I am now) typical winter temperature is -5-7 C in morning, so 10W30 works fine.

avss1, привет от Javen'a
I would like to add that in addition to large amounts of dust, acid number is too high, oil is over, need to reduce the change interval. Oxidation , nitration numbers high too

avss1, hello from Poland..
I'd use good injection system cleaner first - there is quite much fuel in your UOAs so maybe the reason is quality of fuel (please don't take it personally - I see the same in Poland)? I'd recommend BG44K once a year.
0W-30 for Honda is OK for your (our) climate ;-) if for 1 year OCI or 0W-20 for winter + 5W-30 for summer.
5W-40 for Honda is too thick IMO as well.

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
avss1, hello from Poland..
I'd use good injection system cleaner first - there is quite much fuel in your UOAs so maybe the reason is quality of fuel (please don't take it personally - I see the same in Poland)? I'd recommend BG44K once a year.
0W-30 for Honda is OK for your (our) climate ;-) if for 1 year OCI or 0W-20 for winter + 5W-30 for summer.
5W-40 for Honda is too thick IMO as well.

wlyszkow, thanks , i think 5w-30 will be a good choice. 5w is enough for Moscow winter

p.s. I visited Krakow last month. very, very beautiful town.

Last edited:
It's close to impossible to find a 5W-20 oil in Russia. Even 5W-30 ACEA A1 oils are generally regarded as dangerously thin. Not sure why even the car manufacturers tend to shy away from such oils. I guess the main reason the Fe numbers are so high is that in Russia they still illegally use ferrocene octane boosters. Most used spark plugs I have seen on Russian forums have red residue on the insulators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back