UOA: 350 Drage Race engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was Valvoline Racing 20W/50. Fuel was Sunoco Leaded 110 Oct. Blackstone said the fuel and lead are normal. There were approx. (25-35) 1/4 mile passes on this oil. This enine makes around 425 HP and has been rebuilt numerous times. You input is appreciated.

aluminum...2
chromium...1
iron.......20
copper.....2
lead.......278
tin........2
moly.......0
nickel.....0
manganese..0
silver.....0
titanium...0
potassium..0
boron......0
silicon....9
sodium.....1
calcium....2165
magnesium..7
phosphorus.1070
zinc.......1246
barium.....1

sus vis @ 210f.....83.6
flashpoint.........325
fuel...............2.3%
antifreeze.........0
water..............0
insolubles......... TBN.............n/a

Since you're running leaded fuel, I imagine it would be next to near impossible to get a true reading on your bearing wear.

Maybe you might want to try running some unleaded 110 octane fuel on your next interval to see what the lead content in your oil would actually be.

I have some reflections, and some questions. Was the engine freshly rebuilt then run on the oil that you ultimately sampled? Do you happen to know the details of the build, namely the materials used, type of cam and lifters, any special coatings? Also, what sort of transmission is used?
Overall, it seems like a very good report for a racing engine. Since we can't interpret lead, every other wear metal is absolutely perfect, lightly used street cars would do well to have numbers that low. Silicon is nice and low, but I'd still be interested to know what kind of air filter, if any, you run. Fuel content is kind of a negative, and appears to be negatively impacting flashpoint.

The engine was rebuilt last winter '02. It is nothing special really. It is has 12:1 TRW forged pistons.GM "pink" rods. GM steel crank. Block is .060 over. Nothing is coated. I run a comp cams solid cam with 630/660 lift and the duration is 276/284 @50. The Rockers are 1.6 Comp cams aluminum rockers and lifters are Comp cams. The intake is a edelbrock Victor JR. with a 750 demon carb.

The heads do not have hardened seats, therefore I do not run unleaded fuel. I don't think 110 octane unleaded is availble here in Denver.

This oil was only in for approx. 30 runs or so. That is the longest I usually go between oil changes. I use a delco PF-25 filter.

forgot:

There is no air filter ran. I have a 4" cowl hood to which the base of a open element filter seals to.

The transmission is a powerglide with a 1.82 first gear. I'm going to a 350 this season.

offtopic.gif
Either you have a real crappy set of heads, or you are making a whole lot more than 425HP. I am going to assume you have crappy heads, since they are probably a stock type casting that doesn't have hardened valve seats. You really might want to up the ante with a good set of heads.
smile.gif

This is my left over engine in my buddies 63 Nova. The good engine has 227 AFRs. The heads in question are double humps with 2.05/1.60 valves.

They they are probably in need of seats, and guides.

The engine bearings are fine in this thing .

The time took it's toll as the Magnesium is gone , gone , gone
smile.gif

Suggest not leaving it in as long this time around though ... good oil there huh ? I've always liked it
cheers.gif

And the insolubles are over the limit to support Motorbike's info.
wink.gif
Maybe scale it back to 20 passes on the oil.

11.85 @ 116 in a 3000 lbs car with driver. Keep in mind this is at Bandimere Speedway @6000 feet. So sea-level sould be around 10.90 @ 122 or so.

I know I am knew to this site, however from what I have been reading on various VOA's & UOA's, I believe there are oils out there that are alot better for your appplication. Might want to give an HDEO a try, maybe Delo 15w-40 or LongLife 15w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back