Unused Vehicle: Start Annually or Do Nothing?

What business is it of others to tell someone what to do with their personal property. I assume the OP doesn't NEED to sell it for the money or storage reasons so why the push to make him sell it? Maybe he got it cheap and didn't need it yet but will in the future. Maybe its a car he plans on restoring when he retires. Maybe it belonged to a family member and has sentimental value.
What business is it for you to question the reasonable responses to a post? Don't like it, then read on.

See, I don’t find this 2 year oil rings are short idea. I bought a 20+ JDM engine and installed it. It started up just fine and had excellent compression. That was 4 years ago and it’s running great. I don’t think jdm storage yards are museum quality either.
You bought an engine from JDM that sat for 20 years, or was 20 years old? If it sat for 20 years, how did you know it sat that long?

Turning engine by hand is a good suggestion. In general, what is the best location to attach a wrench to turn an engine by hand? Someone mentioned harmonic balancer. I assume that's the biggest, thickest disc attached to the engine, directly in line with the crankshaft. What's the standard direction of rotation?

He ask for advice on 2 options.

Not if he should sell it or not.
But maybe they are not thinking of other options.
Knowing what the situation is would also help even if picking one of the 2 options.

If I ask should I stab a knife in my left leg or shoot my right foot while giving minimal info, would you not want more info or give me a different option?

Turning engine by hand is a good suggestion. In general, what is the best location to attach a wrench to turn an engine by hand? Someone mentioned harmonic balancer. I assume that's the biggest, thickest disc attached to the engine, directly in line with the crankshaft. What's the standard direction of rotation?
You're getting in over your head.

You bought an engine from JDM that sat for 20 years, or was 20 years old? If it sat for 20 years, how did you know it sat that long?
It was a model year 90-95 engine. So latest it could have been was 95. Jdm engines are usually removed from vehicles at 60k miles after 4 years, so it should have been removed by the early 2000s. It would have sat in a vendor warehouse until I bought it in 2015.

I will say this though. I think climate is a huge impact on an engine corroding from disuse. The engine was from California which is the ideal place for an engine to sit for decades. There’s very little humidity out there. In my opinion, and engine can sit out in California for decades upon decades without rusting substantially. Much different story if it were in humid houston.

usually removed from vehicles at 60k miles after 4 years
So your assuming 4 years. There is no law that Japanese engines must be replaced at 4 years, they just must be inspected every 6 months. Its possible your JDM engine sat 10 years. Also possible it didn't sit at all?

Given the 2 choices I'd go start it annually.

Imo a vehicle should be driven vs only started. I would want all "lubricated parts" (transmission, differential, oil pump, fuel pump, and and all greased bearings, etc) to have a regular flow of lubricating oil to keep any and all surfaced protected and oiled.

Automechanic's post is the best in this thread.

So your assuming 4 years. There is no law that Japanese engines must be replaced at 4 years, they just must be inspected every 6 months. Its possible your JDM engine sat 10 years. Also possible it didn't sit at all?
The information is out there on JDM engines. I don’t want to repeat it all.

If you don’t want to accept my theory, just say you disagree. Do I have recorded, documented evidence of my engine was sitting? No, but come on, the overwhelming reasonable odds are it was in a warehouse waiting for a buyer.

JDM engine imports are a big market.

Needs to be run and allowed to get hot. To me that means time on the highway at load. It’s good for the AC and cooling system too, so be sure to run the AC and heat! Also be sure to charge the battery before starting. This can take a while to do it right.

I’d want to do it more than once a year, but I have had them sit that long or longer without issue. You do want to consume the fuel reasonably often too.

I have a whole fleet of crown vics that i aquired cheap and keep them mint. Secret is to drive them once a week, and store them for only the winter months so the salt does not get crept into ever seam of the body / chassis.

Pay the tags, ins, and insp and just drive it.

I've had many cars in storage, often for more than 5 years. If they are in running condition, I try to start them every 3 to 6 months and let them run 30 to 60 seconds. You want the oil to circulate long enough to pump up the lifters and keep the seals from drying out as well as to prevent the fuel pump motor from seizing up.
I store my 1999 S-10 from about October 25th to April 15th, and start it at least once a month. I run it 15 minutes on the average.

I fill it with a 0W30 for the winter.

If you don’t want to accept my theory, just say you disagree.

You started this replying to me - that you didn't believe me, and peaked my interest with your engine that sat 20 years?

See, I don’t find this 2 year oil rings are short idea. I bought a 20+ JDM engine and installed it.

The Japanese Domestic Market - aka - JDM engines theory is a bit unbelievable given the average age of a car on the road in Japan is about the same as here - 13.87 years. If the car is fairly new and too expensive to pass their safety standards its usually shipped off to nearby left hand drive countries like Shri Lanka, or some middle eastern places because there demand for used cars is high. https://www.statista.com/statistics/679614/japan-passenger-car-average-lifespan/#:~:text=As of March 31, 2021,years in the previous year.

So maybe yours sat 20 years, or maybe not? All I am saying.

You started this replying to me - that you didn't believe me, and peaked my interest with your engine that sat 20 years?

The Japanese Domestic Market - aka - JDM engines theory is a bit unbelievable given the average age of a car on the road in Japan is about the same as here - 13.87 years. If the car is fairly new and too expensive to pass their safety standards its usually shipped off to nearby left hand drive countries like Shri Lanka, or some middle eastern places because there demand for used cars is high. https://www.statista.com/statistics/679614/japan-passenger-car-average-lifespan/#:~:text=As of March 31, 2021,years in the previous year.

So maybe yours sat 20 years, or maybe not? All I am saying.
I don’t think you’re reading that statistic correctly. It said 13.87 years until it’s registration cancellation. That’s saying the cars life ends at 13 years on average, not that the average age of cars on the road is 13 years old.

the average age of cars in Japan is 8.74 years per that website. Not as low as I thought. But still look it up, Shaken law is what it’s called in Japan.

Back