Unswelling a gasket - any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engine cover on my car has gaskets on each side that help to keep dust out. I just fixed a leak that was soaking the one that rests on the top of the right side valve cover. Because of its constant oil bath it was swelled so much that it doesn't fit into the groove in the underside of the engine cover while the other side fits just fine. I've wiped it down with a rag but haven't done anything else. I'm going to hit it with some Greased Lighting to remove as much oil as I can but I don't think that's going to do much.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get this rubber gasket to shrink back to the size it should be?

No way that I know of, the very best, and cheapest by far in the long run is to replace the gaskets.. It would also be very easy to do since you already have the valve cover off. What kind of car/engine, and are the gaskets very expensive or any other eason you are reluctant to just go ahead and replace them while they are off ?

Fel-pro makes outstanding replacement gaskets many are OEM comparison, some are even better, and also fix problems that the OEM should have fixed/made correct when making the gasket in the first place.. I have been using Fel-pro for several years now without any problems with their gaskets, If I were in your shoes I would go to the local advanced auto/autozone and purchase teh gaskets needed, and just replace them.

Originally Posted By: rclint
No way that I know of, the very best, and cheapest by far in the long run is to replace the gaskets.. It would also be very easy to do since you already have the valve cover off. What kind of car/engine, and are the gaskets very expensive or any other eason you are reluctant to just go ahead and replace them while they are off ?

Fel-pro makes outstanding replacement gaskets many are OEM comparison, some are even better, and also fix problems that the OEM should have fixed/made correct when making the gasket in the first place.. I have been using Fel-pro for several years now without any problems with their gaskets, If I were in your shoes I would go to the local advanced auto/autozone and purchase teh gaskets needed, and just replace them.
It's not the valve cover gasket but the gasket around the edge of the plastic dust cover that goes over the top of that. This is for a '94 BMW 530i and I can't find anyone that has this piece. The cover is not strictly necessary but it does help keep dust out of the V8 valley and also cuts down on noise emissions somewhat.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
Originally Posted By: rclint

It's not the valve cover gasket but the gasket around the edge of the plastic dust cover that goes over the top of that. This is for a '94 BMW 530i and I can't find anyone that has this piece. The cover is not strictly necessary but it does help keep dust out of the V8 valley and also cuts down on noise emissions somewhat.

Would that oil absorbent stuff you put on oil spills draw the oil out and make it shrink?

John

They have some kind of chemical that is used in aviation that has an ability to revitalize old rubber type seals.. This is a nasty chemical is I remember correctly, I can't remember the name (maybe you can google it) People use it to try and bring dried out seals back to original condition... kind of the opposite of what your doing.

That's the best I have for you, surely someone has that seal.. I would not be above checking used parts yards etc..

If replacing it is not an option and as long is is not foam;
Some motorcycle rubber bowl gaskets swell from exposure to gasoline and will not fit back in the groove in the bowl. If you let them lay out over night, enough of the gasoline will evaporate and allow it to shrink a little and fit back in the groove. You could try soaking it in gasoline for a short time, dry it off, lay it out flat over night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back