Unplug electrical connector: oil pressure sender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Please forgive the lengthy post for a simple problem!

I need to unplug the electrical connector for my 1999 4.0l Jeep Cherokee's oil pressure sending unit. The unit and plug are in plain sight, but the two wire connector has a red plastic (locking???) blade that runs perpendicular to the unit's terminals. One end of the red blade has a tiny hole.

The connector fits over the sending unit for I suppose is a watertight seal. I am afraid of breaking the connector that is part of the wiring harness. The sending unit runs the oil pressure gauge in my dash.

I have fiddled with the red plastic blade (3/4" wide by 1" long) but it won't budge. This appears to be of a family of connectors that just begs to be broken and replaced at great expense!
shocked.gif

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. My gauge reads locked at 80 lbs with the ignition on, but motor off. I'm going to try to clean it first before replacing it with a MOPAR part from the dealer. I will use non-hardening gasket compound on the threads. I will use dielectric grease on the unit's connecting terminals.

Here's a picture of a replacement unit.
17219.12-350x250.jpg

Note the plastic forks for the locking connector.

Thanks again! I have done many futile Google searches looking for instructions as how to work these locking connectors. Must be a trade secret!
thumbs_up.gif

Last edited:
I'm not real sure what you mean as I'm not real familar with this applications connector but usually the blade can be carefully pried up some with a small screwdriver to clear the sensor's lock tabs while you pull the connect off. If you mean there's a plastic strap that runs perpendicular to the connector, like a connector assurance strap, then it can be pull out perpendiculaly to the connector.

If you could get a pic of the actual connector that would help.

I had that exact model year cherokee and remember a similar connector on the electric radiator fan. If I remember correctly a little "tent peg" has to come out to unlock the regular connector, a belt and suspenders operation. Agree on the need for a picture.

Also generally speaking some connectors are "see-saw" where you squeeze the rear of the plug to loosen the grip down near the sensor.

There is a locking security/safety clip/tab that has to be removed.
You can leave it off as it will probably break.
The connector will then readily compress and disengage.

Dear mechanix and eljefino and mechtech2,

I put your posts together and I quickly removed the connector and did NOT break anything!
smile.gif

The little red tab (tent peg) unlocked from the sender's forks and I easily squeezed the rear of the connector and it easily slipped off.
lightbulb.gif

I measured the brass hex driver on the sender and I can now go out and buy a deep (greater than 2 3/4") 1 1/16" socket and get to work.

Thanks again for your patient explanations!
thumbs_up.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back