Unidentified oil filter object??

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another site, they were having this big discussion about how the Toyota filter 90915-YZZB5 was the same as the Toyota 90915-20004. Since the 20004 costs $3.00 more, they were saying to buy the cheaper YZZB5. I went out and bought them both, hack-sawed them open and immediately discovered they are not the same. The 20004 had more filter material, a little "paper?" cog-like wheel down near the opening that was the same diameter as the filter and then there was this contraption on the end of the filter. Some sort of bent metal thingy shaped like an "H". Under this "H" in the end of the filter in the top was this circular shaped thing that was sort of stuck in the top of the filter material. THe metal pieces inside this quarter sized circular thingy reminded me of those mazes you would trace through doing puzzles as a kid. Is this the bypass valve?

[ December 28, 2002, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Gebo ]

Gebo,
I was interested in the 20004 and made an inquiry to an intenet Toyota sales site:www.1sttoyotaparts.com and they said the # is now the YZZB9. Look at the link to see the part in question. toyota filters
Which part is it?

Well, that answers that question. It is the bypass valve. It's like the 5th, 7th, 9th, and 15th(the best shot) picture from the top.

BE careful, the filters are not the same. I just cut them open last week. Both are made in Japan and the 20004 is 1/4" longer to make room for the bypass valve. YZZB5 doesn't have one. Some of those internet sites like "substituting."
wink.gif

I've cut open and photographed the -YZZB5 filter, and looked inside the -20004 filter. The difference that I can see is that the -20004 has more filter area and the bypass valve. The -YZZB5 has no internal bypass valve. The dealer's parts book lists the -YZZB5 as the correct filter for may Toyota and Lexus engines (4.7 liter V8 among others), although they came from the factory with the -20004 filter. I've also heard that after an engine rebuild, the -20004 filter will be installed.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back