Unhappy with my viewing window..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So im prepping the R1 for its flogging this week and i change the oil today.. its got 4T in the sump, 4T going back in the sump.. its pretty dark at 1,5xx on the trip. (this is around my usual OCI). so i drain it, pull the filter, disenguage the spark and turn over the engine (hit the starter for a few seconds) and pump out remaining oil through the now open filter hole. fill filter, screw it on, top off oil, -->love that fresh golden oil
anyways, just venting

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Just a heads up, if you get a blood transfusion, the blood was already in someone else's body....

Id probably grumble with the needle in my arm
smile.gif

Some engines hold quite a bit of "old oil" in various passages when you do an oil change.

You could do a "flush" with 3 quarts of Super Tech 10W-40...run the engine for a few miles and then drain and fill with your nice GOLDEN oil. Might get you a few days of pretty oil window viewing.

But would you worry about that residual "House Brand" oil now left behind? IS THERE NO OIL PEACE OF MIND ANYMORE???

Yeah no such thing as a totally dry and 100 new fill except for the first one.

My triumph motor holds .2 quarts of old stuff in it. Oh well, its 98 percent new. It will be just fine.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Some engines hold quite a bit of "old oil" in various passages when you do an oil change.

You could do a "flush" with 3 quarts of Super Tech 10W-40...run the engine for a few miles and then drain and fill with your nice GOLDEN oil. Might get you a few days of pretty oil window viewing.

But would you worry about that residual "House Brand" oil now left behind? IS THERE NO OIL PEACE OF MIND ANYMORE???

by gosh, now theres a idea..
smile.gif

By the way, 4T is the basic JASO spec for 4-stroke motorcycle engine oil. There are right and wrong 4T oils for each bike--do any Japanese bikes require synthetic 4T? Various viscosity 4T oils are available. JASO-MA is a different spec dealing with wet clutches.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
By the way, 4T is the basic JASO spec for 4-stroke motorcycle engine oil. There are right and wrong 4T oils for each bike--do any Japanese bikes require synthetic 4T? Various viscosity 4T oils are available. JASO-MA is a different spec dealing with wet clutches.

Valvoline or Mobil 1 10-40 4T syn, motorcycle specific.. as of lately anyways. Ive had all kinds through the R1 (always bike specific)

dunno, but im assuming its safe considering it says "Motorcycle oil" on the bottle and its comming from the motorcycle department. also has the pretty picture of the motorcycle on the bottle.. both these oils have taken turns over the past 24 months.. no issues.

not to mention the same product is sold in our local motorcycle superstore.. of course for $4.00 more per bottle

at the moment "Valvoline 4T Racing" 10-40 motorcycle specific oil is in there. $8.00 a qrt a wal-mart

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back