Unemployment up

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy
Quote:
The reports come a day before the department is scheduled to release its unemployment report for May. Economists expect that report will show employers cut a net total of 520,000 jobs last month.

That's on top of 5.7 million jobs that have been lost since the recession began in December 2007.

The unemployment rate, meanwhile, will rise to 9.2 percent from 8.9 percent in April, analysts forecast.

There is some good news:
Quote:
Productivity, the amount of output per hour worked, rose at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.6 percent in the January-March period, the department said, double the government's estimate last month.

The increase came despite a steep drop in output, because companies laid off employees and cut hours worked at an even faster pace.

Higher productivity can raise living standards because workers that produce more can earn higher wages without forcing companies to raise prices.

Quote:
Higher productivity can raise living standards because workers that produce more can earn higher wages without forcing companies to raise prices.

Or work harder so the bosses get a bigger bonus.

John

Originally Posted By: John_K
Quote:

John

+1
thumbsup2.gif
mad.gif

Funny how employers keep calling for wage "restraint",and reduced staffing... even with rising productivity.

I wonder how many companies are using the Auto-Industry as an excuse to lean out their payroll in an event to save money and make others more productive through fear!
wink.gif

It's a greedy corporate world...
mad.gif

I work for my uncle’s State Farm insurance agency and I put out an ad for a Customer Service Rep on CareerBuilder.com with a brief description of the job duties / office responsibilities.

I never would of expected over 220 faxes for a temp (possible full time) job that pays $12.50 an hour. There have been some people with a Master’s degree apply for this clerical position. When I call them and ask if they understand that it only pays $500 a week, they are practically begging, some on the verge of almost crying for me to call them in for an interview. Its really getting bad for some people desperate to find any kind of employment.

Our shareholders have been holding back our award negotiations for nearly 4 months, citing Global Economic Crisis.

Now they are offering no pay rise this year, but double pay rise next...wonder where they got the idea of putting off costs into the future.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wonder how many companies are using the Auto-Industry as an excuse to lean out their payroll in an event to save money and make others more productive through fear!
wink.gif

It's a greedy corporate world...
mad.gif

Yeah, and all of those greedy individuals that are cutting back on their spending to keep some extra money in the bank. How dare them!

(imagined dialog at Tempest's meeting of "the militia")

Well, I'm here to give you some good news

Productivity rose for the last month

..and more good news.

Unemployment is up too. We've managed to kick about 520,000 more useless eaters to the curb. Dead weight all.

applause.gif

(Visions of a warped Promise Keepers convention adapted from a Playboy parody for "the militia")

I promise to tell them they have pension benefits ..and I promise to never deliver them

applause.gif

lol, I don't recall Tempest ever advocating violence as a solution to our problems.

You on the other hand have advocated violence several times.

He's not once advocated throwing people onto the street (kicking them to the curb).

Look, if you're concerned about unemployment then hire someone. Having the money isn't an excuse for not starting a business, no matter how the market sees it, and hire people.

If there is a slowdown, assemble a team of them to dig some holes and another team to fill them up.

And make sure you pay their health insurance.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Quote:

John

That's right and I'd like to thank you.

Quote:
lol, I don't recall Tempest ever advocating violence as a solution to our problems.

...and I don't see where anything I just said implies that he does
54.gif

Quote:

I've expressed profound outrage at crimes committed against the people of the USA ..by people of power and influence. I don't really believe in violence, but for these people who have willfully destroyed lives in the seeking of gain for themselves or whomever they truly serve, there is no punishment suitable, imo. Hanging would be too kind. They have obvious contempt for the citizenry of this great nation and use it for nothing more than a field to harvest from. They belie all sense of humanity and humility and are nothing more than polished trash.

I read today that a trucker and his accomplice got arrested for stealing $195k worth of tubing from a plant near by. Wall St. & Co. stole over $500k from everyone ..according to Tempest. None of them will go to jail. The trucker ..will probably serve 5-10 in the state penitentiary.

Quote:
He's not once advocated throwing people onto the street (kicking them to the curb).

I beg your pardon??
54.gif
He's all about kicking people to the curb. It is BY FAR the most coveted aspect to seeing his agenda realized.

Well technically he hasn't advocated throwing them to the curb, just letting the market (through improved productivity) leave them displaced with no safety net...makes the keener to be more productive you know.

Well, I think a few from Wall Street will go to jail.

Perhaps not enough as it's clear they did not perform their fiduciary duties and instead enriched themselves at least in part at the expense of their investors.

The should at least get the pants sued off them.

Unfortunately, their compatriots in the US Congress to include Barney Franks, Christopher Dodd, Maxine Watters and I'm sure there are many more, were re-elected by a band of fools.

Some ex-government officials to be included would be Robert Rubin and Phil Graham although (IMO) I expect these two were boldly naive in assuming the US Congress, Fannie Mae et al, and Wall Street would act responsibly.

They couldn't have been more wrong.

Oh, and I assumed Militia was the kind that carries guns. Is there another kind?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I work for my uncle’s State Farm insurance agency and I put out an ad for a Customer Service Rep on CareerBuilder.com with a brief description of the job duties / office responsibilities.

I never would of expected over 220 faxes for a temp (possible full time) job that pays $12.50 an hour. There have been some people with a Master’s degree apply for this clerical position. When I call them and ask if they understand that it only pays $500 a week, they are practically begging, some on the verge of almost crying for me to call them in for an interview. Its really getting bad for some people desperate to find any kind of employment.

if all the resumes are equal, find the hottest babe you can find
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

A job like that would get 4 TIMES the faxes here.

Our local Taco Bell has a 20 person waiting list to get hired...

I lose my job next month, with nothing coming. I Applied for 500 (no joke) in two days, and not even a interview call.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1

Look, if you're concerned about unemployment then hire someone. Having the money isn't an excuse for not starting a business, no matter how the market sees it, and hire people.

If there is a slowdown, assemble a team of them to dig some holes and another team to fill them up.

And make sure you pay their health insurance.

Why? It's going to get even worse. I sure wouldn't hire anyone now. We haven't even got through half the mortgage crisis yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back