Undummy, Volvo drain/fill help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Undummy,
I read your posts regularly. You write very knowledgably about transmissions. I assume you work in this field. So, my spouse has a 2000 Volvo S70, AT, 83,000 miles (ATF is JWS 3309 spec) I never did any transmission maintenance (following the owner's manual guidance) before I learned about the negative consequences of lifetime fluids and longevity of a part. I started feeling that the shifts were a bit more noticeable (never bad) last year and requested a flush from the Volvo dealership. They decided to do a drain/clean pan/fill and drain a couple of times since the Volvo ATF (JWS 3309) is $$$. That was fine with me. Shifting was back to its usual almost imperceptible feel. So, I want to start doing an annual drain and fill. I read this is just under 3.7 qts (or liters, I'll look again). After finally finding the very stubby dipstick, the opening looks very small. My questions:
1. I like the idea of using the same fluid presently in the transmission since I will not be changing all of it (it will be about half from what I read). I don't like the Volvo ATF expense, but I'm willing to use. I know that Mobil has a JWS 3309 spec, but I cannot find on the internet who makes the Volvo stuff. Do you think looking for the Mobil 3309 is fine for this purpose?
2. From what I read on some Volvo forums, I replace the fluid thru the dipstick.
3. I don't know if you are familiar with the 850/S70 series, but I noticed a large bolt head staring right at me when I look at the transmission from above. I have one socket that's big (25 mm) and this bolt is not quite that large, but almost. I wonder if that's a fill plug. That would make life easier.
4. My plan is to simply measure what comes out and put that amount back in. I am not a mechanic; I have just learned to do a few simple things over the years.
Please make comments/recommendations. Thank you.

1. Yep, the Mobil 3309, Toyota T-IV, Mazda, Ford, GM versions of the fluid is perfectly acceptable for yearly or ~10k maintenance intervals. Multivehicle/universal ATFs are also an option. Castrol Import, Amsoil,....... are options.
2. Any automatic with a dipstick can be refilled through the dipstick. Use the dipstick.
3. Without referencing the FSM, do not ever touch ANY bolts on a transmission. You'd be surprised how many 'release' something critical in the unit. Post a picture. But the drain is easy to find.
4. Yep, drain/measure/refill, and then drive and recheck the level. Trust the disptick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back