Understanding Syn-Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use dino with 4k OCI but have gone up to 5k a couple times.
If going to a full synthetic, I see some do a 10k OCI.
So would it be reasonable if using a Syn-Blend to do a 7.5k OCI?

Does the Syn-Blend lean more towards a dino or towards a synthetic - or are they generally about/close to 50/50?

Been using Castrol GTX dino for my RAV-4 4-cylinder and getting ready to hit 165k soon on the clock. I put a minimum of about 600 miles a normal week, more running out and about on days off. Thinking of maybe extend OCI's by going to the blend or full synthetic. I use the EOM Toyota filters. No leaks and I never add oil. Oil fill is clean (no sludge that I can see) with the exception of maybe some varnish color on the metal.

Runs good and smooth and since I had her re-painted recently, guessing I'll keep taking her to/from work for a few more years. She has been dependable, and saves gas compared to the other 2 vehicles. No issues before or now.

Maybe hitting 165 I shouldn't worry but thought I'd seek opinions.
thanks for any replies.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Why? You can get a full syn right now for a syn blend price....

I don't know why, I guess that's why I'm asking.

Since most miles are out on the highways, been thinking of synthetic too, but haven't done any cost checks... yet.

And when I buy, I buy enough oil and filters for 6 changes.

I don't think you even need syn blend for 7500, depending on how your engine and app treats oil you could do it on a quality dino.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Errtt
I use dino with 4k OCI but have gone up to 5k a couple times.
If going to a full synthetic, I see some do a 10k OCI.
So would it be reasonable if using a Syn-Blend to do a 7.5k OCI?

Absolutely. Valvoline Maxlife and Motorcraft Premium both are synthetic blends, and there are several UOA reports here with 7K or higher OCI. Having said that, conventional motor oils have gotten much better too. Ford now recommends 7500 mile OCI for normal driving in most cars, or 5000 miles under severe duty, without requiring the oil to be synthetic or synthetic blend. The oil has to meet Fords spec, and most motor oils meet it.

Quote:

Does the Syn-Blend lean more towards a dino or towards a synthetic - or are they generally about/close to 50/50?

I heard the rumor that the ratio is close to 50/50 in Valvoline Maxlife (not advertized as syn blend) and Motorcraft. However, in general the "synthetic blend" label doesn't mean much, because the amount of synthetic base is allowed to be pretty low.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
You can get Napa synthetic for $3.49/qt

+1

It's cheap, and it works well.

Most blends don't approach the 50/50 mark. usually around 20%. Even Peak lists their 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30 dinos as semi-synthetic on their PDS. MSDS puts them at 10-20% synthetic.

I had no idea that the blends are not generally a 50/50.
Without checking, I thought my recommended OCI was something like 5k. I figured if I wanted to extend it, is my reason for considering the blend or synthetic.
It just seem to me that 5k for dino, 7.5k for blend then 10k for synthetic would be a reasonable program.
I like to OC on time or a little before (generally before) and not try to stretch it.

Thanks for the replies - I'll consider the synthetic come next OC.

you have 165000 doing what you do-why would consider a change now?Its not broke so there is no need to fix it-kept doing what you do its good.

Originally Posted By: salv
Most blends don't approach the 50/50 mark. usually around 20%. Even Peak lists their 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30 dinos as semi-synthetic on their PDS. MSDS puts them at 10-20% synthetic.

Here's PEAK's site that states this:

http://www.peakauto.com/pdf/specs-PEAK_MultiGrade_Motor_Oil.pdf

I knew that there's a reason that I am so fond of this oil! And not only for the price that I was paying.

Last edited:
Basically, "synthetic blend" is now meaningless. According to Valvoline Q&A Valvoline conventional contains some synthetic base oil. We just don't know what kind and how much. The same is true for other motor oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back