Understanding PAG- and PAO-Based Lubricants

So inspired I shall immediately check what ExxonMobil can offer ;-)

For a competing racing oil Exxon would have the Mobil1 Racing 0W-50 it seems. No approvals but at least basic data. SDS shows boring PAO only but in addition lists ORGANO MOLY-SULFUR COMPLEX with no CAS# – same line as with a Delvac of theirs I recently saw. A question if this could be replacing Olefin Sulphides or so of course would be another unwanted Pandora Matrjoshka on this oil board, I'm sure...

Fortunately I wouldn't be shopping for racing oils anyway and their tool of choices is easily reachable from above, so I select my vehicle and in parallel the once competing Honda just for fun: The Honda let's them list a bunch of 0W-30 and 10W-30 oils of all sorts as expected, mine let's them list only Mobil Super 5W-20 and Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-20. As if they didn't trust any of their others for some reason. Or didn't want to explain a thing about their whole contemporary bunch of Mobil1 offerings sporting a wealth of modern approvals of all kinds – in case of my application.

Because of a word or two from Mazda once. Just words, no transfiguring approvals they'd not get with their other oils :) Just words more or less about base oil... Aspects and facets in mind and no foreign fixations hampering you may have choices. And brochures et al. can be great, no doubt about that.

Last edited:
So inspired I shall immediately check what ExxonMobil can offer ;-)

For a competing racing oil Exxon would have the Mobil1 Racing 0W-50 it seems. No approvals but at least basic data. SDS shows boring PAO only but in addition lists ORGANO MOLY-SULFUR COMPLEX with no CAS# – same line as with a Delvac of theirs I recently saw. A question if this could be replacing Olefin Sulphides or so of course would be another unwanted Pandora Matrjoshka on this oil board, I'm sure...
An organo moly sulfur is simply a Molybdenum Dithiocarbamate or MoDTC.

If you had read other threads instead of focusing solely on sulfurized olefins, a dithiocarbamate is a functional group in organic chemistry. It is the analog of a carbamate in which both oxygen atoms are replaced by sulfur atoms (when only 1 oxygen is replaced the result is thiocarbamate).

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dithiocarbamate
for a quick reference of it's molecular structure

Well, Molakule, I've been primarily interested in the unexpected Olefin Sulphides. Didn't fully expect the Moly... wording in later safety sheets to imply a 1:1 replacement while the Olefin Sulphides wandered to the Dexos oils anyway.
It's true, I didn't get anywhere with the Complexes as for those I hadn't found additional SDS telling me #s and in this case I never tried to find them onboard. To me as not at all a chemist seemingly an umbrella term that wouldn't get me anywhere. Good to learn now that this can only mean MoDTC, great unexpected lesson for me in a pure play base oils thread, much appreciated.

Back to PAO-OSP or AN, no problemo – vite, vite ;-)

Back