Under valve cover pics - 2004 BMW 330xi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to replace the valve cover gasket due to a leak on my neighbor's 2004 BMW 330xi with the 3.0L M54 straight 6. This car has 76k miles on it, and has been doing the recommended 15k mile oil changes before I took over last year doing 6k changes with Castrol 0w40.

I also replaced the valve cover with one off ebay since these plastic ones are known to warp/crack.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

New cover installed, mostly back together:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by loneryder
Varnish from long ici's??

"Castrol Red"

Remember the vehicle has been driven on average 4,750 miles / year for 16 yrs. Oil changed every 3 yrs maybe? Meh nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Why have a car if you don't drive it? That car is nothing special so drive it! [censored], even it were, say a rare M5, drive it!

Nah......Just Castrol marking it's territory!

Originally Posted by gman2304

Nah......Just Castrol marking it's territory!

lol.gif

Very normal looking m54. PCV should probably just be replaced if its history is unknown. It's cheap and not as hard as people make out.

I miss my 220k e39 530 with that engine. Just smooth and trouble free.

That is one heck of a lot cleaner than the M54 that belongs to my buddy - his m54 is a basket case!

Tell your neighbour to research the conversion to an M50B25 inlet manifold - it has bigger runners so makes more top end power, and simplifies the plumbing tenfold.

Originally Posted by JohnG
If they make plastic valve covers, WHY DON'T they make them CLEAR?

Now THAT would be cool!

They (meaning BMW) don't, but they (meaning the aftermarket) do make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back