Un-Gel ; Chemical Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would the opinion or known fact be to cause or the way to make a diesel fuel UN-Jell (gel)?

I'm saying When it has totally Gelled say to -54
or whatever extreme....

What is the chemical process necessary to reverse the Gelled fuel and then to keep it stabil and useable?

I don't think it's a question of chemically treating it. The gel point is a function of the materials physical properties. If you want to change it you need to somehow change the material. Generally 'Summer' diesel is blended to have a higher gel point than 'winter' diesel. Winter diesel gives up Lower Heating Value (ie BTU/lbs) by including lighter hydrocarbons in the final blended product. This is done because the lighter stuff gels at a lower temperature. But the trade-off is less Miles to the gallon.

Once a tank has gelled you have to heat it up. Most diesel vehicles will recirculate the fuel pump bypass to the main fuel tank to keep it warm when running.

Houston will prolly get down to 55 or 60 F this winter, right? (He prolly travels).

I thought that was a good question. I remember back in the old days sitting on the side of the road waiting for a mechanic to come and get us "ungelled", like Ill. or Indiana. Didn't have fuel heaters on the old rigs. Didn't have dryers on airbrake system either so we'd pour in alcohol when we'd start out to counter act the water we knew would be there after running a few minutes.

Those were the good ole days!

quote:

Originally posted by kondor:
Houston will prolly get down to 55 or 60 F this winter, right? (He prolly travels).

I thought that was a good question. *-*-*-

Wife has Uncle in Fla. heading (18 wheeler) someplace way up north and didn't treat his fuel.
I donno if this is right, but he has either 2 200 gallon tanks or 2 100 gallon tanks, he's in a 2000 Freightliner with 700,000 miles (he likes to drive)... and he says these tanks are as big as they get for his truck and can take him ACROSS the Country without re-fueling

Still do think it's a good question that has not been answered.
What process would it take chemically to un-gel the fuel? Or better What /Chemical make-up even in theory would be necessary to ungel in ARTIC conditions?

Hey Robbie, I'm fairly sure that in Alaska or very far North, kerosene or jetfuel is used, which is far less viscous. In fact, special injector pumps are available from Navistar that have special hardened parts to withstand the increased abrasion of the thinner fuels.

400 gls of fuel will get an 18 whlr upwards of 2800 to 3200 miles assuming fantastic mileage, light load, no headwinds or pavement covered in water or snow, etc. The uncle doesn' add anything probably cause he has fuel heaters.

However, even with heaters, figure he fills up in Fla. in January and goes to Bangor or or Duluth with a temp difference of maybe 100 degrees, might have a problem with that warm weather no. 2 from Fla.

My company operates 50 states. In the 48, we use fuel locally delivered and the units are fueled everytime they arrive at a fueling terminal when the trip is concluded. So, the fuel is "changed" frequently a is pretty much local stuff. In other words, a unit that moves from NY to Portland will stay in the Northern zone and be fueled with "treated" or cold formula fuel the entire trip in winter.

Ken2 and sub zero both answered the question. The fuel is not changed "chemically" except the viscosity is thinned much the same way engine oil for colder climes is made less viscous.

That is why jets don't use No.2. It would get them off the ground more efficently but it would be a problem at angels 38. Heavy jet a/c years ago used a water injection system for takeoffs to boost thrust from the jp4. I don't know which has been improved, the fuel or the engines or both.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

I thought that was a good question. *-*-*-

Wife has Uncle in Fla. heading (18 wheeler) someplace way up north and didn't treat his fuel.
I donno if this is right, but he has either 2 200 gallon tanks or 2 100 gallon tanks, he's in a 2000 Freightliner with 700,000 miles (he likes to drive)... and he says these tanks are as big as they get for his truck and can take him ACROSS the Country without re-fueling

Still do think it's a good question that has not been answered.
What process would it take chemically to un-gel the fuel? Or better What /Chemical make-up even in theory would be necessary to ungel in ARTIC conditions?

Heat un-gels. Adding a gel prevention fuel additive before he gets into freezing weather is what he needs to do. Even one of these antigel products is good for only 15-25°F degrees below the fuel's own gel point. Also keep in mind that the fuel sold in Florida might have a higher wax content than fuels sold in other parts of the country...nothing wrong with some wax in the fuel if it's not really cold.

He needs to buy local fuel blended for local weather.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/300ND.html
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/137AND.html

I worked on a ship one time that sailed from the West Coast, to Dutch Harbor, Alaska, then to Far Eastern ports including tropical Singapore (3°N latitude). When we got into Seattle one winter day the office staff wanted to put a tanker load of #1-D into our diesel fuel storage tank that we used for a couple of diesel generators. We weren't having a problem, but a sister ship had bought #2-D in Singapore. It was good fuel, but had a high wax content and gelled on them when they sailed home near Alaska.

Ken

[ October 06, 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

The gel preventing chemicals I've used only work in un-gelled fuel...they don't work if the fuel has already gelled. Just warm it. The gel preventing chemicals allow the use of less #1-D or kerosene and the fuel retains a higher energy content for the same gel point.

Expecting a cold winter in Texas this year?

Ken

quote:

*-*-*-*- The uncle doesn' add anything probably cause he has fuel heaters.
*-*-*-*-*-

He does add stuff from time to time.

He does have almost every option on the truck.
He told me that about the only options he didn't have was a sink, toilet and shower, and he said maybe one or two other things but he couldn't recall, that his truck was the top of the line because after he tears this one up he's retired, and he wants to go out in style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back