Ultra-low Temperature Windshield Cleaning Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could probably add a pint or two of rubbing alcholol to the reservoir to prevent freezing in just about any temp you are likely to see south of the artic circle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
In my experience, at speed, they all freeze on the windshield during cold weather. Below 0 degrees F.

I have the same problem too. I use the -49 stuff and even when it's not super cold (say -10C) I find that when I spray my windshield first thing in the morning while the car is still cold, that it'll freeze up on the window. Very annoying.

Thanks guys. I have placed it in the freezer, as previously mentioned, but to be honest I wasn't really sure how cold normal freezers got?
If it is indeed -10 then so far so good as the fluid is still liquid but I think I will wait until we get some real cold overnight lows and then set it outside.
I have some of the stuff I normally use (Costco) so I will also set that outside with it for comparison.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
In my experience, at speed, they all freeze on the windshield during cold weather. Below 0 degrees F.

I have the same problem too. I use the -49 stuff and even when it's not super cold (say -10C) I find that when I spray my windshield first thing in the morning while the car is still cold, that it'll freeze up on the window. Very annoying.

Ditto. It may melt whatever water is on the windshield, but the airflow will wick away the alcohol faster than the water. In winter I usually avoid using the washer as much as possible--usually, if it's warm enough to need it, it's warm enough that it's not an issue. Usually.

The ultra cold stuff can still be handy for other reasons. It's obviously not really any better on a cold windshield. However, we've had temperatures here where the blue stuff is frozen solid in the reservoir.

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: Garak
That's actually why I use the premium, -45 C stuff up here year round. Some are advertised as having extra detergents for the bugs, and we get enough of those in summer. When I do use a dedicated summer fluid, I never go through enough and wind up having to dispose of what's left in the reservoir when the weather gets cold.

I syphoned the fluid out of my wife's new car (2017 Impala) that we purchased used from a Ford dealer as I didn't know if it was a summer or winter concoction? It is pink(ish) but I don't know if that is GM's or Ford's?
Either way, unless I can find out what it is, it won't be going back in as I just run winter stuff year round anyways. Personally, I find once summer comes, it is a very rare occurrence that the wiper/bug juice is used anyways.

Is there any way of finding out if the pink stuff I have is winter or summer? I put some in an empty water bottle and placed it in my freezer but I don't know if that is cold enough to actually freeze it?

I set the 2 bottles outside last night as it was suppose get to "0" degrees "F", which it did, (-18c) and the pinkish/purplish bottle did not freeze.
I also took the lids off the water bottles, if that mattered, so I think I am good to go, hopefully?

I don't see why ICE/CBP will throw up a fuss if you have a bottle of Canadian washer fluid in the trunk or cab - they're more worried about drugs, weapons and excessive quantities of booze/cigs.

If you live in an area that has air quality regulations, they'll bat a eye lash or two if you're selling the stuff. Case in point, the methylated stuff can't be sold in the proper Bay Area. I was at Wal-Mart one time in the summer and I saw a jug of the "winter" non-BAAQMD approved stuff on the shelf - one jug but enough to get WM in trouble if someone from BAAQMD or CARB was to walk by. I bought the stuff and gave it to a friend who I ski with.

The "good" stuff can help avert a disaster in the mountains with frozen fluid, but I think having heated washer fluid and/or a heated windshield(even just heating the wiper zones like Subaru does) with winter-rated fluid works the best. In all seasons, using a boosted washer fluid - either the Prestone stuff, 303 washer tabs or Einzett Krystal Klar/Mercedes Summer Fit does a world of good.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I don't see why ICE/CBP will throw up a fuss if you have a bottle of Canadian washer fluid in the trunk or cab - they're more worried about drugs, weapons and excessive quantities of booze/cigs.

If you live in an area that has air quality regulations, they'll bat a eye lash or two if you're selling the stuff. Case in point, the methylated stuff can't be sold in the proper Bay Area. I was at Wal-Mart one time in the summer and I saw a jug of the "winter" non-BAAQMD approved stuff on the shelf - one jug but enough to get WM in trouble if someone from BAAQMD or CARB was to walk by. I bought the stuff and gave it to a friend who I ski with.

The "good" stuff can help avert a disaster in the mountains with frozen fluid, but I think having heated washer fluid and/or a heated windshield(even just heating the wiper zones like Subaru does) with winter-rated fluid works the best. In all seasons, using a boosted washer fluid - either the Prestone stuff, 303 washer tabs or Einzett Krystal Klar/Mercedes Summer Fit does a world of good.

My 09 Sierra had a heated windshield washer fluid option but some truck burnt to the ground state side so there was a recall on it.
mad.gif

It worked great and I wasn't going to take it in but the recall clearly stated, I had x amount of time to bring it in and if I didn't comply, my warranty would be null and void.

I think I got just over $100 back from GM for the cost of it?

I meant to ask. What are these? Prestone stuff, 303 washer tabs or Einzett Krystal Klar/Mercedes

Last edited:

I meant to ask. What are these? Prestone stuff, 303 washer tabs or Einzett Krystal Klar/Mercedes

Prestone BugWash, available at your friendly big-box, some better parts stores carry 303 washer tablets. This is the Einzett I've been happy with, it cleans like no other. One dose treats the whole washer tank. The Prestone stuff is expensive for what it is, the latter two can be used on their own with water or mixed with blue washer fluid to boost its cleaning power.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-92100815-Kristall-Washer-Concentrate/dp/B001NZFCRW
https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-instant-windshield-washer-tablets/

Prestone BugWash, available at your friendly big-box, some better parts stores carry 303 washer tablets. This is the Einzett I've been happy with, it cleans like no other. One dose treats the whole washer tank. The Prestone stuff is expensive for what it is, the latter two can be used on their own with water or mixed with blue washer fluid to boost its cleaning power.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-92100815-Kristall-Washer-Concentrate/dp/B001NZFCRW

Thank you.
cheers3.gif

I assume those products would be paint safe but I am wondering if they would strip wax? I like the idea of the tablets as I am sure they wouldn't change the make up/minus temp rating of the fluid, unless that Kristall is good for in the minus's as well?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
This is the Einzett I've been happy with, it cleans like no other. One dose treats the whole washer tank.

Their Gummi Pflege stick for rubber door seals is excellent as well.

Gummi Pflege

I forgot about that stuff. Years ago I purchased a small bottle/vial that had a dobber in it that I used. I am curious now where it is in my plethora of cleaners/waxes? Likely gone dry by now anyways?

Thanks for the reminder, SS.
smile.gif

I set the 2 bottles outside last night as it was suppose get to "0" degrees "F", which it did, (-18c) and the pinkish/purplish bottle did not freeze.
I also took the lids off the water bottles, if that mattered, so I think I am good to go, hopefully?

It does sound promising. I can't see bug wash going down to -18 C. I could see -5 or something, but not much more than that. Take a quick trip here, we've been going below -30 the last few nights (and the next few nights), so we can do a real test.
wink.gif

The washer tabs aren't bad. I've tried them. You can get them from eShine here in Canada, along with the Krystal Klar stuff, too; you might even be close enough to visit them rather than order online from them. They help the detergency, but won't lower your freeze point. I found I have had the best results with simply a premium washer fluid, that purple all season high detergent stuff I've mentioned. If you fill at Esso or Petro-Canada (or even Husky, I'm sure) you can collect enough loyalty points to keep yourself sufficiently supplied with the product.

Originally Posted By: Garak

It does sound promising. I can't see bug wash going down to -18 C. I could see -5 or something, but not much more than that. Take a quick trip here, we've been going below -30 the last few nights (and the next few nights), so we can do a real test.
wink.gif

The washer tabs aren't bad. I've tried them. You can get them from eShine here in Canada, along with the Krystal Klar stuff, too; you might even be close enough to visit them rather than order online from them. They help the detergency, but won't lower your freeze point. I found I have had the best results with simply a premium washer fluid, that purple all season high detergent stuff I've mentioned. If you fill at Esso or Petro-Canada (or even Husky, I'm sure) you can collect enough loyalty points to keep yourself sufficiently supplied with the product.

I heard it was cold out there. My Aunt and her husband plus my cousin and hers live in Regina as well. (Barb, Gary, Heather, in case you know them?
grin.gif
)

Thanks for the info on the windshield washer additives. I was hoping some place like E-shine carried them? I use to use E-Shine but found another one I have used instead. olde town auto, https://www.oldetownautospa.ca/ I just found them to have better prices and found their shipping was also cheaper. Not sure if you would find that as well out in Regina or not but it might be worth looking into?

I use mainly Shell or Costco when I get fuel as those 2 places just work for me, but it is interesting hearing your loyalty points get you enough fluid that you get it for free.
I don't have a Shell card so maybe they offer the same/similar thing? I'll have to look into that.

Like you mentioned, if the fluid didn't freeze at -18c, it is highly unlikely it will? What I think I am going to do is just mix it with my known -45 Costco stuff to be on the safe side anyways.

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
eShine was just handy for some other stuff, and I tossed in the tablets just to give them a shot. I'll check that other site, too, since there are always other things I'm on the lookout for.

Shell has a cashback card, so it's not quite the same; they also do Air Miles, which I don't have. I almost always fill at Shell, but with Esso Extra, I found out that about two fills of premium are enough for a jug of premium washer fluid. Petro-Canada is probably roughly the same, but I haven't filled there for ages, and definitely not after they revamped the program. I'm not totally familiar with Husky's program, either. The only problem with Esso is that not all Essos carry the proper fluid. If you have trouble, Esso corporate will help you locate it. Imperial Oil distributors also will sell it by a case of 4 jugs.

As for the fluid in your car, you should be fine, but one still needs to be careful. I've had the blue stuff freeze solid at -40. So, if you get a really bad or deep cold snap, you could be in for a surprise. Tossing in something a little better can never hurt.

With the taxis, the blue stuff was never a problem, because the engines were almost always running, especially in -40. Ambient engine heat took care of any concerns.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
This is the Einzett I've been happy with, it cleans like no other. One dose treats the whole washer tank.

Their Gummi Pflege stick for rubber door seals is excellent as well.

Gummi Pflege

Einzett, now Nextzett makes very good automotive products. I use their windshield fluid myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back