Ultra Grey RTV instead of transmission pan gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Servicing a 92 Oldsmobile 88. Don't want to reuse the reusable 25 year old gasket, it has a few cracks after I removed it. Would rather use RTV which is superior in sealing plus only $5 vs. $30 for the gasket. Any issue doing that? Only concern is the gasket is maybe 1/8 inch thick while the RTV will essentially have no thickness.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Just let it set up for a bit first. As long as the mating surfaces are reasonably flat and true...

And clean, very clean.

Either way, use a torque wrench and tighten the pan bolts to the specified torque in incremental steps, from the center of the pan outward (visualize a figure-8, starting at the bolts in the middle of the pan sides and looping outward in both directions).

I've always applied sealant between the gasket and pan, allowed it to set according to the sealant instructions, and then bolted it to the pan dry & clean.

Filter didn't come with a gasket? Many of them come with a rubber gasket where I never had any issues with them. Avoid cork gaskets.

Those "reuseable" stamped steel/rubber gaskets are total junk even from the factory.

Originally Posted By: crainholio
I've always applied sealant between the gasket and pan, allowed it to set according to the sealant instructions, and then bolted it to the pan dry & clean.

thumbsup2.gif
This is what I use. High Tack

Within the past year I did two transmission pan gaskets and three differential cover gaskets with it. No problems whatsoever. It's a great product.

I dunno how you ever get the transmission side gasket surface 100% clean, but I know a transmission shop I've used over the years for pan drops has been using the grey stuff for years. Didn't leak for as long as I owned the vehicles.

I have used cork gaskets (came w Fram filter) on a trans pan, w the correct torque it did NOT leak at all. I have used a little bit of rtv on a cork gasket for a chrome trans pan (chrome pans and diff covers have a reputation of leaking) and it did NOT leak. W that, ur okay to use rtv in conjunction w a gasket

Checked this morning and the dripping had slowed enough that fluid wasn't running onto the pan mating surface for a couple of minutes. Cleaned it up good, squeezed the RTV on the pan and slapped it home. Waiting a full 24 hours to cure before adding fluid.

Did you tighten the bolts immediately and squeeze the rtv out or install the bolts finger tight and let it set up?

Quote:
Apply a continuous, even bead of silicone to one surface, surrounding all bolt holes. Assemble parts immediately while silicone is still wet. Finger tighten until material begins to squeeze out around flange. Allow to dry for one hour then retighten 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

OK just curious which route you went. I was thinking that those reusable gaskets are normally pretty thick. I have never used rtv on a pan that didn't originally come that way. We have a specific Mopar rtv for transmissions and I use it like you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back