Ultimate Oil filter

Was thinking on what you would like to see in an oil filter?

Cost?
Media?
Bypass?
ADBV?

Would like to see this for my new Miata...

PurFlux filter media, no ADBV, base end bypass valve, OEM psi Bypass setting, OEM size can but heavier gauge. Spring at dome end.

A cheap one with a Xanax pill because of the anxiety I'd have installing it. Because what oil filter we use doesn't make a difference in the real world.

"Because what oil filter we use doesn't make a difference in the real world."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Some" do hold oil better than others keeping engine quietier at start up. Just don't run them 50K miles.

Originally Posted by oldhp

"Some" do hold oil better than others keeping engine quietier at start up. Just don't run them 50K miles.

What proof is there of that besides "Engines making it to 250K miles and still 'run good' " ... ??

I'm still waiting for someone to post any kind of official testing report that show there is no change in engine wear associated with keeping oil cleaner with better filtration.

I agree Zee.... ISO particulate counts would show that cleaner over time truly adds up to a substantial amount. Also... If people feel that way how about pulling out their frame air filter... Yeeha... Who cares
lol.gif

Or you could so the same thing... Get a stp air filter that's only 90 percent
lol.gif

That horrible efficiency for a air filter.

Just don't run them 50K miles.

I've got 37,000 miles on a Fram Tough Guard.

Should be C&P in another couple months when I hit 50,000 miles

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Bill W quote:
Was thinking on what you would like to see in an oil filter?

-----------------------------------

I would like to have Alexa inside my oil filter, so I could talk to her.

lol.gif
lol.gif
Alexa would never stop talking

Originally Posted by Linctex

It should do 75k easily …

What will a C & P show???

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

What proof is there of that besides "Engines making it to 250K miles and still 'run good' " ... ??

I'm still waiting for someone to post any kind of official testing report that show there is no change in engine wear associated with keeping oil cleaner with better filtration.

"Engines making it to 250K miles and still run good." Heeeeeeere's your proof, by you.
banana2.gif

A mess in there.
Stu/Adam showed us a 20K run and it showed Mr. Ugly in there, but held up well, despite more waves than the highest surfs in Southern California.

Not sure why anyone wants to subject their vehicles to abuse and yes, abuse is the right word.
Alexa and Mr. Ugly do not belong inside our oil filters.

Last edited:

I would say he makes his living keeping $50,000.00 engines alive.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
oldhp said:

A mess in there.
Stu/Adam showed us a 20K run and it showed Mr. Ugly in there, but held up well, despite more waves than the highest surfs in Southern California.

Not sure why anyone wants to subject their vehicles to abuse and yes, abuse is the right word.
Alexa and Mr. Ugly do not belong inside our oil filters.[/quo

How long has it been going into bypass because it loaded up? Simple eyeball looking doesn't tell you how loaded it was. Abuse is correct. Being retired now......time will be the factor not mileage for my OCI's. No matter what anybody says.
34.gif

Quote...
How long has it been going into bypass because it loaded up? Simple eyeball looking doesn't tell you how loaded it was. Abuse is correct. Being retired now......time will be the factor not mileage for my OCI's. No matter what anybody says.

That bypass valve is not carrying the load of flow. Just a cracked door to let a little through. UOA particle count rules.

Oil filters are the last ditch defence. Some oil filters proudly claim 20,000 mile before needing changing.

Originally Posted by CT8

I would say he makes his living keeping $50,000.00 engines alive.

"Keeping an engine alive" doesn't mean much of anything relating to any wear going on inside. Engines can be pretty worn and still be "alive" and still seem to "run good". If my engine was worth $50K it would certainly have high efficiency air and oil filters on it, and good full synthetic oil in the sump. My whole vehicles aren't worth $50K and they still get that treatment.

Back