Ultimate Cheapie Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool.gif
When I was in college I rented a garage. The guy in the other half lived in the apartment upstairs, he kept his nice RX-7 in the garage. He'd change oil in that and his beater '71 Bel Air at the same time, with the used RX-7 oil going into the Chevy.
grin.gif

Head to Canada, obtain Canadian Tire's economically minded brand, NUGOLD in the SAE weight of your desire. Overhaul the old filter with varsol. Always remember to install a new gasket on the drain plug!
lol.gif
wink.gif
cheers.gif

I can't imagine putting used oil of an unknown origin in a running vehicle. First, think of all the crud from drain pans, etc. that is mixed with the oil. Second, the oil may be polluted with anti-freeze, gasoline, etc. from a damaged engine. Seriously, even the worst of beaters, if they run at all, surely deserve at least new store brand oil and filters!

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
even the worst of beaters, if they run at all, surely deserve at least new store brand oil and filters!

cool.gif
There's too much empathy going on here.
lol.gif
Putting used Mobil 1 from my (new) Ford truck into my (beater) Chevy van could only help.
lol.gif
(J/K, the Chevy got a fresh dose of Havoline and its first NAPA Gold (instead of AC) last weekend.) Magnetic drain plug from the van after being in for 700 miles:
 -

The shavings aren't showing up real good here, it looks worse in person. The end is really smooth though when nothing is on it. The oil had about 2k on it, I drained it and put it back in when I installed the Superplug. Sorry to run on.
spaz.gif

[ December 31, 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
cool.gif
When I was in college I rented a garage. The guy in the other half lived in the apartment upstairs, he kept his nice RX-7 in the garage. He'd change oil in that and his beater '71 Bel Air at the same time, with the used RX-7 oil going into the Chevy.
grin.gif

Excellent idea! You can baby your prized car without guilt. I actually did that, but the used oil was 2 quarts that had only 150 miles on it and I stuck it in my wife's van--not a beater. I had removed the 2 quarts so I could put some thicker oil in my truck.

okay now i have seen it all. this is clearly the opposite end of some of the extremist here. there are folks who change their oil, and leave the bolt off over night so the last drop drip of the used oil get out, now you see ppl thinking about using that used oil. and who knows what else get into that used oil berrel at the recycle oil place. i know the oil dont just go straight from the oil pant to the oil container then to the recycler. i know that my oil catcher/container is so dirty. it has dirt and water in it. there are so many possible ways that used oil got dirtier from the engine oil pant to the recycler place.

If you really like the idea of using used oil, you may want to track down somebody that changes his oil every 3000 miles with synthetic oil, and offer to take it off his hands. Then rig up a makeshift filter to pass the oil through a roll of toilet paper. That should clean it up enough to use it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it but if you are going to use someone else's waste oil, you may as well use the best.

I'm with slalom44. If you want to be cheap and use used oil, get it from a known source.

I will, on occasion, recycle oil but it's oil which is very clean and I keep it clean from drain to pan to storage. Sometimes I even filter it and I never use every drop.

From 1.5 quarts drained out of our Honda ATC, Tractor or a generator, I'll pour it into a clean gallon jug, seal it, let it sit for at least a week to settle. Then I'll pour just 1 quart of that into a clean 1 quart jug, sometimes filtering it through a clean piece of cloth. The dirtiest oil stays in the large container for return to the collection center.

The 1 quart of clean, used motor oil is used for topping off insatiable oil burners (we currently have none of those) or cars just a few weeks away from an oil change ... as long as they're not going to have a sample analyzed by a gas chromatograph.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Reading this post just made my day. It is amazing what one will do as well as (myself) sit down and read interesting stuff like this for hours.

Happy New Year everyone.
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back