ULSD vs Heating Oil

Legalities aside, are there any consequences to the longevity of a 6.7 L power stroke if it runs on heating. Hypothetically, the DPF and EGR no longer function and the engine is tuned as such. Alaska doesn't dye heating oil/off road diesel and sells #1 and#2 heating oil for above/below ground fuel storage that has additives for the winter temps up here.

Depends upon the sulfur content. If the heating oil,isn’t desulfurized to the same level it could damage any sensors or emissions systems it contacts over time. That doesn’t mean that it will… and you assumed that stuff had all failed already.

Ask yourself, how much does a complete fuel system replacement cost and how long it would take to pay that cost back by running cheaper fuel.

The number one cause of common rail fuel system wear is contamination. Without contaminants the stuff would last almost forever.

I understand that road diesel burns at higher temperatures than home heating fuel. Basically it is to get you by in a pinch if you need to top off empty home heating oil tank till fillup however not recommended for extended usage.

Conversely using home heating oil in a vehicle designed for diesel (higher temps) potentially has adverse effects based on design of motor expects them.

Legalities aside, are there any consequences to the longevity of a 6.7 L power stroke if it runs on heating. Hypothetically, the DPF and EGR no longer function and the engine is tuned as such. Alaska doesn't dye heating oil/off road diesel and sells #1 and#2 heating oil for above/below ground fuel storage that has additives for the winter temps up here.
MY concern would be that it may be possible that the No 2 heating oil does not contain the same lubricity and detergent package. If true then you're having to dose the fuel with extra additives which will wipe out any savings from dodging the federal/state tax. I'd ask a tanker driver.

You obviously don't want to use No 1 heating oil (Kerosene) as it should damage your fuel/injection system due to the lack of lubricity. "Winter diesel" is typically No 2 blended with some No 1.

Last edited:
I understand that road diesel burns at higher temperatures than home heating fuel. Basically it is to get you by in a pinch if you need to top off empty home heating oil tank till fillup however not recommended for extended usage.

Conversely using home heating oil in a vehicle designed for diesel (higher temps) potentially has adverse effects based on design of motor expects them.
I ran highway diesel all winter in my furnace. Have a good friend who does HVAC and says it's okay. Apart from one incident where the line froze when it was -7 with a windchill of -26, never had any issues. I suspect even that was caused by moisture in the tank from before. I pulled the filter and checked the fuel and it wasn't gelled or even cloudy

We ended up in a really weird price situation this winter where it was cheaper for me to buy highway diesel than have anything delivered. So all winter I ran treated highway diesel in my outside tank.

Last edited:
I ran highway diesel all winter in my furnace. Have a good friend who does HVAC and says it's okay. Apart from one incident where the line froze when it was -7 with a windchill of -26, never had any issues. I suspect even that was caused by moisture in the tank from before. I pulled the filter and checked the fuel and it wasn't gelled or even cloudy

We ended up in a really weird price situation this winter where it was cheaper for me to buy highway diesel than have anything delivered. So all winter I ran treated highway diesel in my outside tank.

Yup, we have plenty of places to get offroad diesel in my area, which is dyed red just like heating oil. I fill mine up 15-20 gallons at a time during the summer. My tank is in the basement though, so if it freezes up in there, I got big problems... :oops:

Had a problem with #2 and the antijell additive at -25F once. Took the line off at the filter inside and blew air through the line. Fixed it. That was the only time though. Even with the tank 30 ft from the house outside.

#2 is number 2, heating or off road is dyed, that's the only difference. Winterized on road may a some anti jell in it.
Outside tanks even with a bottle of ''heat'' in it can jell up at the bottom tank connection/elbow at near zero temps. Most heating installations only use 3/8'' line. Cold zones should have at least 1/2'' line into the house. I had to box my D in L's outside tank and in cold windy weather a flood light on a thermo cube is the cure for her even with heating anti jell in the tank. I'm not chiseling out the 3/8 from the foundation to go bigger.
My oil bill receipts used to say #2 dyed diesel on them, they changed it to saying just heating oil not for on road use to keep the uniformed in the dark.

if you have good filtration I think you will be fine. You might want to add extra filters to your truck or change the OEM one more frequently.

Just my $0.02

Its only red to signify thats its NOT taxed for road use. Red or green its all the same .Its all green until they pour in the dye.

Back