Uhaul Sport Trailer - still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U-Haul used to rent a sport trailer, intended for people that go camping and outdoorsey stuff. I can't find it under their reservation system, so I guess they don't rent them anymore-- but a google search pulls up info on it on their website. Anyone seen these around or know of something available for rent that's similar?

I am going on a trip to CO in a couple weeks, need more room to haul camping supplies, guns, clothes and the whole nine yards, just don't have enough room in any of my vehicles to fit this amount of stuff. I have a family of 6, so just taking clothes with us pretty much eats up all the available space. A 4x8 enclosed trailer is massive overkill, but one of these sport trailers would be ideal. Suppose I'll call them tomorrow to find out for sure, just curious what other options might be out there. I'd even consider buying a small trailer if one were available at decent price and large enough to haul the things I need. Suggestions / thoughts?

I took my harbor freight 40x48 inch trailer camping. I used one of their cargo nets over the top to hold the stuff in. The car's luggage compartment had the valuables so the trailer had the tent, sleeping bags, cooler, etc.

I got it for ~$160 plus $11 for a license plate from my state. Plus some super sturdy 3/4" plywood that was left over from a kitchen remodel.

Said trailer rolled like it wasn't even there behind a chevy HHR. As a downside it was so small and the car had such bad visibility, backing it up was a trial.

I'll just confirm that I too can locate it on the website, but when I actually try to reserve it it disappears so I would guess they either no longer rent them or there are none near. (giving it additional lead time doesn't seem to help.)

I'll just comment that if you haven't used them lately they have made renting and returning them fairly painless if you have a smart phone, are willing to use their app and give it permission to use location and camera at least temporarily. The MC trailer I rented was in nice shape too....

I haven't seen one in a long time.

Find a cool little trailer online and buy it. After your trip sell it for as much as you paid for it.

I've rented UHaul trailers. I've rented enclosed 4X8's, 5X8's and a few open trailers to haul motorcycles. The 4X8 enclosed trailer tows really well. Much more stable than the 5X8.

I own a 4X8 folding trailer I got at Harbor Freight now however.

You could spend the money on a rooftop cargo bag or carrier.
If you had a hitch, you could add a hitch mounted carrier.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Nick1994

Find a cool little trailer online and buy it. After your trip sell it for as much as you paid for it.

That's really the best idea

I first had considered a cargo carrier, but the issue with that is the hitch on the tow vehicle (07 Pacifica) sits much too low without some sort of riser. I would be concerned about clearance going over bumps, plus the installed height of the carrier would place it directly in front of the exhaust pipes. A carrier might just fit the amount of stuff we're taking, so I'm still considering it, and maybe throw a couple bags on the roof rack if necessary. But I would have to modify the cargo carrier such that it sits about 6" higher. Still scratching my head on that one.

Eons ago I did put a 1.25" to 2" adapter onto my Jetta, and ran a bike rack. And yeah, that thing would drag on speed bumps if I wasn't careful about going dead slow. But it did push my bikes way out of the way. But I wouldn't want to put much weight onto though.

I like the idea of a small trailer but they can be bouncy too.

Sport trailer was pretty handy.

With any enclosed trailer, the one that is no taller than the tow vehicle will give best road performance. Don't load the tow vehicle heavy. Put the weight (properly) in the trailer.

As to UHaul, I always used to take a siphon pump and approved fluid per their online maintenance PDF and change out most in the surge brake system.

A very strong flashlight to examine suspension.

Don't expect tires to be to proper pressure. Examine full tread (move trailer).

And securing chains plus trailer electrical cord is worth your while. 1' zip ties.

With all that to stay ahead of a hurried tech, I've been pleased with UHaul.

And stay below Interstate truck traffic speed. 62-64/mph works VERY well. (I drive for a living). The "speed" one travels had little to do with actual travel time. Trip time includes all stops.

We live now in The World of Stupid. There is NEVER a good reason to be within 300' of another vehicle (it's minimum). Or, that in allowing one's self to be boxed in front, rear and sides is sincere proof of stupidity. Own it.

As trailering pretty well doubles the risk per mile of a loss of control accident:

The Interstate has but one lane of travel. That lane is the ONLY one with right-of-way. All other rules depend from this.

Entering traffic MUST yield ROW (those that run out ahead of you when you have under 300' of clear space ahead have committed a moving traffic violation).

Passing lane has no ROW. There is no legal travel in the passing lane. Ever. Only a short fast pass is allowable. ONE MAY NOT BLICK ACCESS TO THE PASSING LANE otherwise. Ever.

Faster traffic has NEVER had ROW.

The right hand lane is THE MEASURE of all else. The regulator.

Etc

It's not ever true that "I'm traveling at XX-mph" That's only a cruise control set speed.

Traffic volume (along with weather, etc) dictates top speed. SPACING is never negotiable.

I have an Aluma AE58. Aluminum 5x8 enclosed. Probably the best purchase I've ever made. But...

It is overkill sometimes. I really want an Aluma AE46. Aluminum 4' x 6' x 21" tall enclosed. Similar in theory to the Uhaul Sport trailer.

199AFC5F-DEB9-45F6-82EA-19BB11D154AB.jpeg

I towed one from Virginia to utah and it went well,the trailer was very old and leaked water on to my stuff when it rained but other than it was great,had brand new tires on it,I dropped it off in moab,so it may still be over there lol

20170327_105325.jpg

20170327_105331.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back