Ubuntu complaining about drive not ready...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I frequently connect different USB drives to the device, and wanted them mounted automatically during bootup so that all users could access them, so I edited Fstab as per the instructions given here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions

However, now if any one of these drives happens to not be connected at boot time, Ubuntu throws the following message and waits for input:

DSC_6765_600.jpg

This is problematic as it prevents the system from rebooting on its own. I typically only have remote access to this device, so when I ask it to reboot, it gets stuck on this screen and won't boot to desktop until I connect a keyboard to it and press 'S'. Is there any way to get around it so that it would just ignore these missing drives and continue booting?

Thanks!

I had s similar problem with a second HDD I installed in a Linux Mint computer I use. It drove me nuts, I drove people nuts trying to get help. I punted, I now manually mount the drive/drives when I want to access then, and no longer see that PITA message.

In Mint I was able to right click on the task bar, then click add to panel. There is an icon there called Disk Mounter, I use that to mount drives I want to use. I know there are a series of commands to get them to auto mount, but if the drive isn't there you will get the message you're complaining about. Hopefully one of our resident experts can help you.

That is my only complaint, otherwise I love the OS and will continue to use and recommend it. Good luck I will be following this thread.

Thanks. Got some help on one of the ubuntuforums. I had to add 'nobootwait' parameter to Fstab. It seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back