Ubuntu 7.04 released today

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

Go to http://www.ubuntu.com

I've been using the Long Term Support release Ubuntu 6.06 and it's a fantastic work in progress. I've configured a dual boot system with Win 98 and I rarely have to boot into Windows any longer.

Very anxious to get this; I heard brown is out, purple is in... I wish those Europeans would go to sleep so I can use their download servers....

For the unconvinced, Ubuntu makes owning a desktop enjoyable.... (again)

Last edited:
If I can locate a spare hard drive, I might install it on older older Dell PIII/933 w/ 512meg. I think it would run OK.

In 7.04, I understand there's much better support for dual boot configs and recognizing Win settings (wallpaper, bookmarks etc).

Why, for instance, did I have to manual config access to my 2nd Win drive in 6.06?? That should be automatically done. It's hard to criticize considering this project is only 3yrs off the ground. As well I am using older hardware and it's unrealistic to expect full support for 9yr old hardware. But I like supporting the use of free, open-source software that will take advantage of older hardware (IE keep them out of the landfill).

Linux is superb. Period.

Ultra-stable. One could probably forget where the reset button is with Linux; no way with Window$.

If I weren't running Fedora 6 on my machine I'd go ahead and try Ubuntu or Kubuntu out. Looks great.

For everybody wild about Linux, tell me how many photo printers are compatible with Linux-fully compatible? I don't mean just printing out a simple letter with OpenOffice. I mean printing out a high quality photograph. Also, tell me how many scanners are compatible. Can you use the Epson V700/V750? How about an Epson 1400 photo printer? I know there is software that makes it possible to run Photoshop and Microsoft Office in Linux, but how many versions of Photoshop and Microsoft Office are compatible?

I would like to see a list of the FULLY compatible photo printers (for printing out photographs-not just simple letters), and I would like to see a list of the FULLY supported scanners.

Is Microsoft Office 2007 supported? How about Photoshop CS3?

Quote:

how many photo printers are compatible with Linux-fully compatible?

How many do you need; I need only ONE.

LOL, I love the "thousands of pieces of hardware" are supported with Windows.... argument. How many NIC cards do you need supported? I need only one.

I research my hardware before I buy it; not support=not purchased. Boo hoo to the vendor who manufactures unsupported hardware; it doesn't get my dollar; NVIDIA gets all my vid card purchases; they support Linux.

It is paramount to purchasing a Motorcraft FL1A filter and complaining that it doesn't fit my Toyota.

In regards to Office or PS, I don't need Office or PS. I don't need tools to accomplished things I don't do.

Ubuntu is a perfect fit for me. Since it riles you is just an added benefit

Please review the first line of Crashboxen's post above.

-Thomas.

Last edited:
That's all well and good when one is starting from scratch, but how about those folks who want to convert from windows to some form of unix? If our attached hdwr isn't supported are we to just throw it away and buy new that is??

Do I detect a slight note of elitism here?
crazy.gif
hornets_nest.gif

Exactly Oldmoparguy1. If you were going to switch to Linux on your computer you would have to make sure every single hardware component on that computer was compatible. And if you do more with your computer than just word processing (OpenOffice), exploring the internet and email, you would have to find compatible photo printers and scanners for photography. Assuming you would be actually able to find a compatible photo printer and a compatible scanner, you would be okay. Go on the internet and search and try to find how many printers and scanners are actually Linux compatible, and I mean fully compatible, not so-so.

For anybody who does more with a computer than just basic stuff Linux is not the answer. It certainly is not the answer for intensive computer graphics where a person needs a good photo printer and a good scanner. And Photoshop is THE software of choice for working on photographs. The professionals scarely use any other program (for working on photographs). It is possible to get software so that some versions of Photoshop will work on a computer with Linux, but the key word is SOME. Version CS3 probably is not supported.

It is always next year with Linux. In the computer world anything next year is vaporware. And now that there are serious security concerns with various Linux operating systems I would not use Linux even for a server. OpenBSD would be far more secure. Recently according to Secunia a lot of potential security holes were found in, for example, Red Hat Linux.

For anybody who wants to actually use their computer for more than just basic stuff the only answers are Windows and the Mac. Apple recently changed their name from 'Apple Computer' to 'Apple Inc.' I don't know what that means but the safe bet is Windows. Everybody and their sister will develop software for Microsoft's operating systems. Why? Because Windows is about 90% of the desktop operating systems in existence. Hate Microsoft if you want and call them the evil empire or whatever, but it is highly likely Microsoft is going to be around for at least another 5 years or so. Microsoft could start dying tomorrow and they would still be the major player for at least a few more years. I don't know if Apple will even be on the playing field in a few more years. Apple could turn into the iPod and iPhone people. Let us go to the iPod Store so we can get a new iPod.

Want a secure server computer? Get an OpenBSD setup on a computer.

Want a desktop operating system that will be around for a while? Windows is the ticket. Microsoft is about 90% of the desktop computing world. Hate Microsoft if you want but don't shoot yourself in the foot. If Microsoft were to decline in market share at a rate of 10% a year Microsoft would still be 50% of the market 4 years from now. And I don't see any signs of Microsoft declining in market share. So Microsoft is the safe bet. Don't like Microsoft? Go undercover and use a Windows machine.

In comparison Apple is something like 6% of the USA market (desktop computers) and something like 2% of the market worldwide (desktop computers).

When it comes to desktop computers I don't know if Linux is even on the radar. Talk about stealth! Linux has the radar cross section of a hummingbird. Is Linux even 1%?

Now understand I wish things were different. We would all be better off if three or four operating systems each had 30% or 25% of the market share. There would be competition and probably better security.

But the reality is that Microsoft operating systems of one type or another (Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, etc.) dominate the DESKTOP computer market. It is a different story with servers but Microsoft still controls a considerable part of that market also.

I have seen predictions in the past on the internet where people were claiming that Microsoft would be only about 58% of the market in 2007. Well, 2007 is here and Microsoft is still not dying.

It is fashionable to dislike Microsoft but the fact remains Microsoft OWNS the desktop computer market. The vast majority of all software and hardware is developed to be compatible with Windows operating systems because of the dominance of the Microsoft operating systems.

Apple is a force in the USA with 6% of the market (not as much worldwide) but still a very small player compared to Microsoft. I can't find any accurate figures for Linux. The Linux nuts make all kinds of claims but 1% to 3% of the market seems reasonable.

According to the best information I have been able to find Mac OS X is being used by some 22 million people. In comparison Microsoft is selling about 20 million copies of Vista every MONTH. Mac OS X has been sold for about 6 years now. Anybody can do the math. And Mac OS X is probably at least 2 times more than all the Linux desktop computer operating systems in use today.

People want to do a lot more today with a computer than just write letters, go on the internet and use email. Lots of people work on photos with their computers, print out photos, work with video, etc. The people who love Linux better figure out how to make more printers, scanners, and other hardware compatible with their operating systems. Otherwise they are just paddling and not going anywhere in the middle of the stream.

Unless there is some massive change in the very near future Microsoft has already won the game. The stadium lights are being turned off. It is all over.

Apple has 6% of the desktop market? Wow! I had no idea Apple sold THAT many Macs of late. They were down at 2-3% for the longest time. In '07, there's lots more computers sold than 10 years ago...that means that 3-4% jump in market share for Apple translates to a LOT of computers.

Mystic, IBM turned the stadium lights off and you saw what happened to them. Companies as big as MS are ripe for the picking, just like IBM was too big for it's proverbial britches. Microsoft has shown signs for years that it's resting on it's laurels and not innovating. Cutting off development of IE6? Snobby. Windows 2003 server is nice, but are there really THAT many differences between 2000 and 2003? Sure, better iSCSI support is good, but truly I can't tell if there's a difference in quality and performance as they all have to be rebooted every 3-4months due to patches. That's sad...real sad.

The game isn't over, it's turned into a different game. Microsoft is so far behind in their web service offerings, that they are a speck in the rear-view mirror of Google and Yahoo. Windows Live is dead. Even top integrators have no idea what Microsoft's offerings in this space truly are (can't find the link right now to the article I read). The bottom line is that Google, Yahoo, Apple, and Ubuntu-like communities are pushing things forward and Microsoft is playing catchup, like usual, to bring forth things that consumers will use. Then, when they do (Windows Live), it's obvious it's two years behind everyone else in fit, finish and functionality. THAT'S what I have a hard time with--> paying $$$ for software that's behind the curve.

Luckily Windows Live is free. But, it's a half-baked offering. It's amazing to me that once a person walks out of the Microsoft world of thinking (I've worked in two large places where Microsoft apologists exist at the top) that there's a world of possibilities out there. Not so with MS products on the whole.

It will be interesting to see if Apple can put more market share in it's corner and if the Ubuntu-ites can put a dent in the desktop market...at even 0.5%, that's a lot of computers.

Let the games begin!
smile.gif

ToyotaNSaturn they had 6% of the market in the USA. Worldwide Apple is supposed to be only about 2% of the market. At their lowest point I think they were something like 3% of the market. When I bought my first Apple computer they were at something like 13%. There are some people who claim that Apple is actually about 10% of the market but people who buy Apple computers do not buy as often and therefore the true size of the Apple market stays under the radar so to speak.

I have never been able to get decent information about Linux operating systems. I remember a Linux fan site where they claimed that Microsoft this year (2007) would be down to 58% of the market. Well, that has not happened. The best information I can obtain indicates that Microsoft controls about 90% of the DESKTOP computer market. It is a different story with servers. I think Microsoft is something like 30% of the server market.

The best anybody seems to be able to say about Linux is that Linux is probably about 1% to 4% of the market. It is probably higher in countries other than the USA and lower in the USA. Some developing countries are trying to go the Linux way (because of cost).

There are a few additional types of operating systems that are too limited to brother counting. For one thing, DOS is still in use in some places, especially in poorer countries. There are still a lot of people still using Classic Mac operating systems. I know of a photographer near me who still uses Mac computers running Classic operating systems.

Windows is just too easy to use. Its great for the technically braindead. I love going on windows service calls. Typical consumers are just dumb.

Thanks for the heads up on the ubuntu. I've used various versions of Linux, BSD, Beos,..... Every OS has issues. Linux has come a long way. I always like playing with the newer Linux versions since I run several systems.

Download complete while typing this. Now I need a harddrive to try it on. The old 4gig in the Libretto 100CT just died. That 64mb/166mhz machine is begging for a good linux install. Time to go harddrive shopping.

i need only 1 video card supported by linux, and it isnt. ill be ****ed if im going to buy a new dual head video card to replace my current one that i paid good money for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back