U.S. Soccer

Al

Instead of discussing this in World Cup Forum. I decided to make a thread on why I feel that soccer in the U.S. has not gained traction on a professional level in the U .S.

I freely admit that it is very popular in Pre HS, College and even as young as 3 or 4 years old. Put besides that, I don't hear discussions about post college teams. And of course I know there are some in the U.S.

Also as supporting evidence: I listen to a lot of sports talk at night in bed with my earplugs in. Done it for decades. And of course we are hearing about it now and always do during the World Cups as usual. I personally have no interest in the sport-just me.

But its interesting (not surprising to me)...I have heard zero talk about world soccer or U.S. soccer when world cups are not going on. The conclusions are obvious and even one announcer has said they talk limited hockey because they would lose listeners. So when I hear zero talk about soccer it tells me "sports fans" in general do not give a rip about the sport.

So again to clarify: I see zero evidence that soccer has evolved from the days when kids of all ages played it (say 40 years ago) to a sport similar to our Football, baseball, baseball, basketball, and somewhat hockey .

I played soccer at Lighthouse Field in Philly and realize that the skills needed to play well are not easily recognized to those not familiar with the game. Having said that, I rarely watch matches. I do enjoy watching college football and college basketball and professional football if the Eagles are playing. My favorite sport to watch is hockey at all levels. I think in a past life I was born in Canada. :p
Hockey players are truly the toughest athletes out there for many reasons. I do wish sports radio covered hockey more though. I usually search on TSN for my hockey news.

Another large part of the sport’s success in the US is the fact that we have a plethora of soccer available on TV. Everything from our domestic men’s and women’s pro leagues and college soccer, to just about every league from anywhere on the planet can be found across US TV and streaming services. In 2021, there were only six days where a soccer game was not broadcast on TV in the US, over 4,600 individual matches.

Based on a Gallup sports poll, the report asserts that, as of 2019, 52% more adults consider themselves a soccer fan compared to 2012. This growth outpaces the other four “major” American sports, with ice hockey (+42%), basketball (+27%), and baseball (+8%) all behind soccer, and American football (-7%) actually losing fans.

Importantly for the future of the sport in the USA, the game is quickly becoming a “first choice” sport for young people. High school soccer participation grew 32% from 2002 to 2019, far and away the the biggest growth – beating out baseball (6%), hockey (7%) and basketball (-6%) and football (-2%) where participation dropped off. Additionally, participation was nearly even between girls and boys, with girls not far behind the total number of boys playing in high school.

the four most popular sports according to Americans were football, basketball, baseball, and hockey. As of 2021, the conversation is changing, with soccer earning the fourth spot behind baseball surpassing hockey, according to Gallup. This development can be attributed to the increased globalization of American culture leading to the expansion of the U.S major league soccer teams.

The sport is growing at such a rapid rate it is predicted to surpass baseball in popularity within the next few years. No longer will baseball be thought of as “America’s favorite pastime” or football be used to refer to the ball with pigskin.

Plus, a Gallup poll shows that because of Milliennials’ love of the sport, soccer’s popularity has tripled in the last decade and currently ranks fourth among all sports. In addition, Major League Soccer, the top domestic league, has seen a 21% boost in interest since 2012.

The Bottom Line: While soccer is still relatively new as a mainstream American sport, the excitement generated during World Cups is far from being seen outside of those events. But the fact that so many Millennials play the sport indicates that it will be a bigger part of American culture as it grows with them.

...and on and on...

IMHO the main reason Soccer is not as popular in the USA is it is hard to have commercials. The games don't stop, and there is no way for hours of commercials between plays/innings/stoppages. That means you don't have strong advertising $$$ behind the games, and jamming it down the throats of average armchair quarterback Joe who just wants to mindlessly be entertained on the weekend while drinking a beer on a commercial they saw while watching the game.

I played soccer at Lighthouse Field in Philly and realize that the skills needed to play well are not easily recognized to those not familiar with the game. Having said that, I rarely watch matches. I do enjoy watching college football and college basketball and professional football if the Eagles are playing. My favorite sport to watch is hockey at all levels. I think in a past life I was born in Canada. :p
Hockey players are truly the toughest athletes out there for many reasons. I do wish sports radio covered hockey more though. I usually search on TSN for my hockey news.

This I will agree with...I played soccer, football, and hockey. Hockey is my favorite to watch in person, and soccer was my favorite to play. Football is my favorite Sunday afternoon TV sport to watch.

I go to several local games of all three sports every year.
ISU cyclone football & Iowa Barnstormers Indoor Football
Iowa Wild Hockey
Des Moines Menace Soccer

My family enjoys attending 3-5 games each every year.

I see zero evidence that soccer has evolved from the days when kids of all ages played it
From the time you reference to today, there's a major league for professional soccer (MLS) with almost 30 teams. Sure, it hasn't evolved at all.... 🙄 Today, the US men's team played level with one of the top 3-4 teams in the world, England. Sure, it hasn't evolved.... Those guys just got lucky. The US women's team were world champions in '99, 2015, and 2019 (and runner-up in 2011. Sure, it hasn't evolved....

USA is improving-if you had told me in World Cups past that the USA could work a DRAW with mighty England, basically home of the Premier League, I would have said it was not possible. Our MLS team here in Cincinnati (FC Cincinnati) outdraws the oldest team in MLB, the Reds, by at least 60-75% consistently on game days where they go head-to-head.

My theory. Son played all the way up to HS. Was more interested in baseball&basketball. Played both all the way through HS. Daughter was varsity swimmer. Grandkids are young and play soccer.

1. Soccer is promoted at young age primarily by middle and upper class families. Soccer leagues here have large groups of both boy and girl players. Travelling teams. Players don't move on to become soccer afficianados later. I go to many of the games and my observations are consistant over time.

2. Most kids that are minimally athletic can play soccer. It requires few of the hand eye coordinations that are central to baseball and basketball.

3. Football is a male sport and requires multipe skills that exceed most other sport;. Is prone to injury.

4. Hockey is male, expensive. Rabid, huge northern following. Requires skill and intrepidness exceeding soccer.

5. There is a suburban, cultural bias towards soccer which both encourages and also stymies its national following. I Acknowledge that the influx of foreign born people may change that.

While I enjoy watching soccer it is low scoring and at times tedious. There are no national stars the sports media is going to tout and for most it is a not an attraction. Football, baseball and basketball will always be the most American sports. The quadrenial interest in the world cup is not soccer fandom but a mild transitory form of jingoism.

🏈⚾🏀

Last edited:
2. Most kids that are minimally athletic can play soccer.
False. If you mean a 4 year old can play and play up to 9-10, sure, but after that, a "minimally athletic" kid will be weeded out based on skill, techniques, etc.

3. Football is a male sport and requires multipe skills that exceed most other sport;. Is prone to injury.
Multiple skills ? Nope.... In football, in most cases, a player only plays one position and doesn't need multiple skills. They do need skill at the 1-2 primary tasks they are responsible for though. An offensive lineman can't switch to playing free safety or a linebacker can't kick a field goal or punt if called on to do that. Are there players that play more than one position ? Yes, but they are the exception and as you go higher (i.e. college, professional), they are even rarer.

When you mention injuries in football, that is becoming a stickler for a lot of people. A lot of sporting families will rule out playing football because of the risks, with the worst being head injuries or brain injuries with concussions.

I appreciate the athleticism, skill and endurance of soccer players and I’ve watched 3 (mostly) of the games the USA has played, one a scoreless tie, one a 1 to 1 tie and one a 1 to O win. I only watch soccer if the USA is in the World Cup and then I record them so I can fast forward. Bored spitless…

Reactions: pbm
Pro soccer is growing in the USA. Teams are added to MLS and cities drool to get a team!

Seattle is just one example, and maybe a top example. Fans are as rabid as many English clubs, sans the hooliganism.

I think the weakness are your input sources. You aren't going to hear much on BITOG. Sports radio stifles soccer talk, because for years Jim Rome and the like make a joke of it. BUT - how bad do you think Baseball, football, basketball want for competition for the almighty dollar? THIS is who controls those airwaves. Yet despite this, MLS grows. Most people who love sport seek it out. You don't love it, fine - no need to seek it.

You see no evidence because your evidence is a radio show.

The MLS is growing and is very successful.

The US team doing well at the world cup.

The US will host the next world cup in 2026.

The US is also becoming more diverse. As this happens the popularity of soccer will also increase.

Club soccer in the United States is typically very expensive if you plan on going to any tournaments that actually give exposure. To climb the ladder it can be prohibitively expensive weeding out a ton of talent or leaving it undiscovered. If you want to be good (professional level) you have to start young and without a "culture of football" like other nations foster, these clubs are pretty much the only way these kids train. Its growing though and there are more prominent Americans on the world stage than ever.

In highschool soccer at least in my part of the country you have to be phenomenal or happen to be on a team that goes to state (1 of 4 teams that do so) to get many looks out of that.

The reason professional soccer in the USA is not on the same scale as professional football is simple.

Professional football is entertainment first and foremost- that utilizes a sports premise. Professional football has much more in common with professional wresting than it has in common with professional soccer.

Professional soccer on the other hand is a sport first, and any entertainment value is a secondhand result- not a value of its core tenant.

Professional football was designed around the end-state to sell advertising. Professional soccer was designed to be a sport most anyone could participate in- not to sell advertising.

Bling of football beats the sport of soccer in the USA.

The reason professional soccer in the USA is not on the same scale as professional football is simple.

Professional football is entertainment first and foremost- that utilizes a sports premise. Professional football has much more in common with professional wresting than it has in common with professional soccer.

Professional soccer on the other hand is a sport first, and any entertainment value is a secondhand result- not a value of its core tenant.
I agree soccer is boring and entertainment is not its core tenant.

Professional football has much more in common with professional wresting
NFL players aren't allowed to strut or taunt on the field, and in before or after game interviews they seldom do it either The overwhelming vibe is a sense of dread that next week could be the one where they get hurt. They're out there for a paycheck like anyone else.

Back