U.S. Gov't investigates GM truck brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that ChevyShake appears NOT to be curable (and apparently it occurs in maybe 20% of the vehicles.....???), with all of the engineering and vehicle science capabilities that GM has, is crazy. If there were a fix that GM does not want to employ due to cost - I would have thought that it would have leaked-out to the enthusiast community by now!

I suspect the bean counters at work again.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
The fact that ChevyShake appears NOT to be curable (and apparently it occurs in maybe 20% of the vehicles.....???), with all of the engineering and vehicle science capabilities that GM has, is crazy. If there were a fix that GM does not want to employ due to cost - I would have thought that it would have leaked-out to the enthusiast community by now!

Ridiculous that they can't figure out what it is.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Interesting.

This plus the driveline vibration and other quality issues makes me wonder if these trucks are even worth buying.

I have had three- a 2011 Silverado-2012 Sierra-and now a 2018 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab. Had a small issue with the 2012 (the dealer fixed) and it was a "certified vehicle."The 2018 Listed at $54,000.00. Of course, I paid much less than that.

I have a habit of DECLINING TO PURCHASE THINGS that are not worth buying.

Just FYI.

Ford and RAM have a had slew of (safety) recalls of their trucks-ALSO.

There is as much worthless speculation on this thread that there is on "what oil should I use threads".

Last edited:
I'm 'kinda a GM person when it comes to trucks. I would love to get a '14 - '18 Silverado Crew Cab, shortest-box, possibly 4X2, 4.3 litre V6... or mebe 4X4 V6, and if a 4X2 I would ensure I was happy with the rear-gear... being numerically high enough, and being some kind of a limited slip arrangement. I would then also disable the Active Fuel Management. The lowest grade of trim would be fine for me....I'd be happy.
frown.gif
Why can't they figure it out????

tell me why, for a generation now every GM product has one or more lights out on the front grill?

The Ram truck would be good, too, with Pentastar and the new A/T... but truly I would be worried about rust and the Ram trucks. I have seen so many even here in Vancouver with rotted-out fenders, in the rear. Incredible. I had a Reliant that had nary a rust spot on the body-proper.... 'Cmon! (Sorry to hijack thread).

Last edited:
Sometimes I miss manual brakes, which actually worked extremely well on many cars. I haven't seen a brake booster in NASCAR, or any other 200+mph race car.
Probably necessary now with the dumb automatic braking systems designed to stop you while on your phone.

Originally Posted by dblshock
tell me why, for a generation now every GM product has one or more lights out on the front grill?

Those are DRL's, I have to replace mine every 3-4 years.....People are lazy & working DRL's are not enforced in the U.S. (That I know of?) I hope this question wasn't posed just to give you a chance to praise Toyota? You already do enough of that!!

As I have posted before it is so amazing how the Car manufacturers take $300,000.00 worth of parts and turn therm into a $40,000.00 piece of junk.

I'm 'kinda a GM person when it comes to trucks. I would love to get a '14 - '18 Silverado Crew Cab, shortest-box, possibly 4X2, 4.3 litre V6... or mebe 4X4 V6, and if a 4X2 I would ensure I was happy with the rear-gear... being numerically high enough, and being some kind of a limited slip arrangement. I would then also disable the Active Fuel Management. The lowest grade of trim would be fine for me....I'd be happy.
frown.gif

while I want a real truck, single cab, 8 foot bed, manual transmission, 2 wheel drive with limited slip. small v8, PS,PB,AC,sliding rear window, radio. Rubber mat on floor and wind wings. Remember them?

Rod

GM is not the first make to employ the use of a Vacuum Pump for the brake booster, Dodge & Ford used them in the early-mid 90's on their Diesel trucks. And when they failed....Your braking power is reduced!
It's not a "forever" component no matter the badge on the grille. Ford being the worst one as it was self contained where the one on the Dodge (Cummins) was lubed by engine oil. The GM one is also lubed by engine oil.....But they haven't accrued the time/mileage for me to say they're any better than the old Ford pumps., Maybe worse for all we know.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
frown.gif

while I want a real truck, single cab, 8 foot bed, manual transmission, 2 wheel drive with limited slip. small v8, PS,PB,AC,sliding rear window, radio. Rubber mat on floor and wind wings. Remember them?

Rod

Yup, I remember them. Dad had a '72 F250 Ranger XLT 131" wb regular cab 4X2, 16.5" split rims and all. Yeah, I know. What I want is a commodious 4 door sedan with body-on-frame construction and a 'wee bit of utility out back. I think I'd fit a sliding bed tray, and go for a tri-fold hard-top toneau cover. H*ll, my '79 VW panel van would have more payload capacity than such a truck... i.e. about 2200# payload for the VW Kombi LOL. And, BTW, seeing as four out of five of my vehicles have manuals - well, I'm OK with an A/T that has downshift rev matching + tow/haul (call it "Sport") mode, and only 6 speeds. Rubber mats - yup... bottom trim line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger

Those are DRL's, I have to replace mine every 3-4 years.....People are lazy & working DRL's are not enforced in the U.S. (That I know of?) I hope this question wasn't posed just to give you a chance to praise Toyota? You already do enough of that!!

Was arranging work to be done on my GF's son's car other day and the woman in front of me
paid $68 for one bulb (Buick Enclave)....gezzz

furthermore if GM has this grill light bulb problem for 30yrs. running maybe their culture
should be questioned...why would anyone invest in transportation with systemic
issues from bumper to bumper. Here I thought the Asians taught them to learn from
errors.

furthermore if GM has this grill light bulb problem for 30yrs. running maybe their culture
should be questioned...why would anyone invest in transportation with systemic
issues from bumper to bumper. Here I thought the Asians taught them to learn from
errors.

Grills don't light up and when is Toyota going to build a vehicle that doesn't have a cheap plastic interior and a driving experience that puts me to sleep while driving? I've never driven such garbage vehicles with zero brake or steering feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back