U.S. Gov't investigates GM truck brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, GM and brakes... They should include every 00-06 model truck/suburban/tahoe/yukons.

Also, someone mentioned the Chevy Shake. On my Cadillac forum it has been discussed, someone who is higher up at GM said they know the cause but it is cheaper to not acknowledge the flaw. Before that it was beam shake, my brothers 05 has that issue.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
The lowest grade of trim would be fine for me....I'd be happy.
frown.gif
Why can't they figure it out????

Me too!

Originally Posted by Garak
The lowest grade of trim would be fine for me....I'd be happy.
frown.gif

Me too!

They have figured it out.
They make tons more money the way the truck trims are offered now.

Last edited:
I'm betting GM shake is a driveshaft issue. Making a long driveshaft is a dark art, especially with a numerically high axle ratio. GM has battled this issue many a time. Whether it was a driveshaft that vibrates, or rings, or goes "whoo-whoo-whooooo".

Many big body GM cars pretty much require an aftermarket super balanced driveshaft when dropping the rear axle ratio from stock.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I'm betting GM shake is a driveshaft issue. Making a long driveshaft is a dark art, especially with a numerically high axle ratio. GM has battled this issue many a time. Whether it was a driveshaft that vibrates, or rings, or goes "whoo-whoo-whooooo".

Many big body GM cars pretty much require an aftermarket super balanced driveshaft when dropping the rear axle ratio from stock.

I battled a vibration in my 84 Cutlass after installing an 8.5" rear with 3.73 gears. Took a few years to figure it out, we finally swapped the internals with a 2.93 posi out of an 86 Caprice parts car I had. Found a trashed bearing in the old unit. The vibration/drone is almost completely gone now but is still noticeable above 65mph. I already put in adjustable upper rear control arms to adjust the pinion angle before we finally swapped the gears, etc.

Maybe I will have to eventually get one of those aftermarket driveshafts to make it perfect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by dblshock
tell me why, for a generation now every GM product has one or more lights out on the front grill?

Those are DRL's, I have to replace mine every 3-4 years.....People are lazy & working DRL's are not enforced in the U.S. (That I know of?) I hope this question wasn't posed just to give you a chance to praise Toyota? You already do enough of that!!

There was actually a TSB on that issue. The double filament bulbs would create heat and could melt the socket. If that happened, replace the bulb socket and use plenty of silicone dielectric grease to act as a heat sink. This solves the problem, but most of the time you can just replace the bulb and grease it w/o having to replace the socket.

Last edited:
This GM crowd is a tough crowd, lot of haters....beautiful cars and trucks for sure but the problems..good lord, no wonder the dispositions.

I think the problems are correlated to the amount of foreign parts that are now used by GM. It really sucks that 2006 had a 90% parts content and now it's around 40 something.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by clinebarger
tell me why, for a generation now every GM product has one or more lights out on the front grill?

Those are DRL's, I have to replace mine every 3-4 years.....People are lazy & working DRL's are not enforced in the U.S. (That I know of?) I hope this question wasn't posed just to give you a chance to praise Toyota? You already do enough of that!!

There was actually a TSB on that issue. The double filament bulbs would create heat and could melt the socket. If that happened, replace the bulb socket and use plenty of silicone dielectric grease to act as a heat sink. This solves the problem, but most of the time you can just replace the bulb and grease it w/o having to replace the socket.

Or as I did with my 2004 Silverado I had, was I replaced the DRL's with LED's. Never replaced another DRL after that.

We had to replace one drl on our one work truck, a 2005 Silverado with almost 200k miles on it. I think that was a year ago. But I do see a lot of them burned out. I think it's because most owners don't bother to replace them.

111 complaints? In the Hyundai fire thread there were over 220 and everyone said it was a non issue.

It should be looked at, but 111 out of 2.7 million?

Because mine was burnt out for 2 years. DRLs, didn't feel like replacing it. Has no affect on vehicle performance.

Originally Posted by Danno
They have figured it out.
They make tons more money the way the truck trims are offered now.

As kind of alluded to here already, most of the truck models, even supposed luxury trucks, just don't do the fit and finish - the execution I guess - of the luxury brands. I haven't seen any trucks, despite having a load of features, have the actual fit and finish of my 1990 Town Car, much less the old Audi. My dad's last GM, around a 1996 or 7 model, looked to be pretty darn close, but he never kept it long enough to find out, and the ones that came out subsequently sure didn't do it.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I'm 'kinda a GM person when it comes to trucks. I would love to get a '14 - '18 Silverado Crew Cab, shortest-box, possibly 4X2, 4.3 litre V6... or mebe 4X4 V6, and if a 4X2 I would ensure I was happy with the rear-gear... being numerically high enough, and being some kind of a limited slip arrangement. I would then also disable the Active Fuel Management. The lowest grade of trim would be fine for me....I'd be happy.
frown.gif

while I want a real truck, single cab, 8 foot bed, manual transmission, 2 wheel drive with limited slip. small v8, PS,PB,AC,sliding rear window, radio. Rubber mat on floor and wind wings. Remember them?

Rod

Yeah they are terrible. If you want one go back 15 years.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

I battled a vibration in my 84 Cutlass after installing an 8.5" rear with 3.73 gears. Took a few years to figure it out, we finally swapped the internals with a 2.93 posi out of an 86 Caprice parts car I had. Found a trashed bearing in the old unit. The vibration/drone is almost completely gone now but is still noticeable above 65mph. I already put in adjustable upper rear control arms to adjust the pinion angle before we finally swapped the gears, etc.

Maybe I will have to eventually get one of those aftermarket driveshafts to make it perfect.

I put Chevy SSR driveshafts in my B-Body wagons. At 130mph, they are smooth as silk. They are not even that great. The reason I was able to get those shafts is because SSR guys drop them for Mark Williams shafts that are even better. A balanced aftermarket shaft will be super.

Everyone with a long wheelbase 3500 van with 3.73's needs to know where the local driveshaft guy is. Mine takes 1/2 a day and a couple hundred bucks to balance and blueprint one with new u-joints, etc. Well worth it for perfectly smooth operation just like new for just about as long as you'll ever keep it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back