U.S. ARMY Selects SIG SAUER Ammo

1) The lowest bidder.
2) They paid the most lobby money.
3) the only company that produced what the military wanted.

This is exactly it. A lot of enthusiasts in the firearms world really seem to think the Sun rises and sets on the term, "Mil-Spec". As if it's based on, "the best obtainable". We always hear, about how the military selects this or that weapon and ammo. And the whole term, "Mil-Spec" is often tossed around, as if it's some type of automatic quality guarantee, that stretches above and beyond.

Much like these "Energy Star" ratings on TV's and washing machines. Most all of this involves price, people, and plenty of politics thrown in for good measure. With a lot of strings attached. I remember the whole Beretta M-9 deal back in the 80's.

Part of that deal, (which came with a lot of lobbying and palm pressing), was that Beretta agreed to produce it here. And agreed to staff it with X number of employees. They already had the Accokeek, Maryland plant up and running, (since 1977 I believe).

But it was expanded, and a lot of new equipment added, and personnel hired, to bring up production levels that satisfied the military, along with the political representatives of that district.

All so they looked good to their constituents come election time. Not because the Beretta M-9 / 92 pistol was the very best pistol obtainable. Same with the Sig 320.

Manufacturers automatically know that if their weapon is selected, tons of civilian sales will be sure to follow. Based on that, and that alone. Much like back in the day when ARFCOM was taken over by mall ninja's. And if you didn't shoot a Colt AR, it was garbage not worthy of ownership.

You have a lot of Benelli M-4 shooters who are like that today. If that weapon wasn't selected by the military, it would have far fewer civilian owners. It's a good gun, and like most military weapons, it was put through rigorous testing. But it's nothing spectacular. Certainly not for $2K a copy, for a parts bin produced, plastic stocked autoloader.

I'm not saying the military buys junk. They don't. However there is A LOT to be taken into consideration other than the issue of quality.

Back