U-Joint Grease for 4WD Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tacoma has 5 or 6 zerks on the U-joints. What is a good grease to use on these? From reading, it sounds like I want to use a lithium base, without moly.

Can someone mention a good brand? I looked at Valvoline, and it said it was moly-fortified.

I was looking at this , but $20 seems like a lot for a tube of grease.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Considering that most people dont ever grease them or even know they exist, anything will be more than fine
grin.gif
I use whatever I have on hand. Usually a red grease. Not that color matters.

Mobil 1 synthetic (red) works great. The drive shaft shop i use told me it is either the same or very similar to what is used in the maintenance free joints.
When i had the caps of some Brute Force joints it sure looked the same with similar consistency (smooth not stringy) like green grease brand.

I like Amazon for some things, depending on the item, sometimes it can be a good price, but not in this case.
I buy the Mobil 1 from our local AutoZone for $8.99 a tube. Our dad has a 2006 Tundra, and I use the Mobil 1 grease on the U-joints, it seems to be working well.

My favorites are valvoline synpower, crc new generation and mystic jt-6 hi temp. You can find Mystic at your local Wal-mart, the other 2 are at available at Napa.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
My Tacoma has 5 or 6 zerks on the U-joints. What is a good grease to use on these? From reading, it sounds like I want to use a lithium base, without moly.

Can someone mention a good brand? I looked at Valvoline, and it said it was moly-fortified.

I was looking at this , but $20 seems like a lot for a tube of grease.

Shell Gadus S3 (red)

Im assuming this is for an earlier model Tacoma? If so, I believe the manual calls for an extreme pressure grease for the slip yoke, in which case you might want a moly-based grease.

In my 4Runner I just use EP Lucas Red n Tacky grease for all the grease points.

Originally Posted By: nobb
Im assuming this is for an earlier model Tacoma? If so, I believe the manual calls for an extreme pressure grease for the slip yoke, in which case you might want a moly-based grease.

In my 4Runner I just use EP Lucas Red n Tacky grease for all the grease points.

It is a 2nd Generation 2011 with 5-speed manual.

We use Delo EP #2 on all chassis and drive line as well as Wheel bearings with great results over many years

Last edited:
Spicer makes the Tacoma MY 2005 & newer universal joints, so I follow the Spicer grease requirements, which not too many OTC greases meet. Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. grease meets the Spicer specs. Of all the brands mentioned thus far, you would be very well served by (1) the aforementioned JT-6, (2)Chevron Delo #2, or (3) Mobil-1. All are Lithium Complex, NLGI #2 EP grease without Moly, and all meet the GC-LB requirements. I also grease the 4 u-joints (2008 regular-cab 4x4) at every oil change and these Spicer joints are designed to be purged, so you'll want to see either red or Delo blue grease coming from each cross to be certain the contaminated grease is removed.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
Spicer makes the Tacoma MY 2005 & newer universal joints, so I follow the Spicer grease requirements, which not too many OTC greases meet. Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. grease meets the Spicer specs. Of all the brands mentioned thus far, you would be very well served by (1) the aforementioned JT-6, (2)Chevron Delo #2, or (3) Mobil-1. All are Lithium Complex, NLGI #2 EP grease without Moly, and all meet the GC-LB requirements. I also grease the 4 u-joints (2008 regular-cab 4x4) at every oil change and these Spicer joints are designed to be purged, so you'll want to see either red or Delo blue grease coming from each cross to be certain the contaminated grease is removed.

Great info. Using the Mobil-1 Syn grease.

Quote:
My Tacoma has 5 or 6 zerks on the U-joints.
How many in total?

My older Tundra has eight--two on the front, three on the main driveshaft double-cardan joint, one on the slip joint, and two on regular u-joints.

Toyota called for moly grease only on the double-cardan joint. I don't know why, especially when moly works so well on the splined slip joint. I've used Schaeffer aluminum complex base 3% moly grease on all eight zerks for the last 120,000 miles with excellent results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back