Grease for spicer u-joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
My driveline guy uses synthetic grease that is blue.

I don't know what it is, but it's awesome and withstands water contamination 100 times better than any moly grease I have come across.

Old low geared Toyota 4x4s required moly in their u joints as per Toyota.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
My driveline guy uses synthetic grease that is blue.

I don't know what it is, but it's awesome and withstands water contamination 100 times better than any moly grease I have come across.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
DemoFly,

Could the blue grease be for bicycles?

Or even possibly marine?

If it's a very vivid, true blue, then it's probably Kendall Super Blue.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I believe it's more important that they have grease vs the type of grease. I use moly grease in everything including ujoints

As long as they have grease, they will be happy.

If they get any intrusion of water or dirt ... they become not happy.

When I installed spicer u-joints in my last truck I looked into this in depth. Its been a couple years but IIRC spicer actually named a cetain grease as recommended, though basically said any lb-cg #2 would be appropriate. IIRC it was either a chevron or delo version they named but I can't find that info.

I also use Synpower. It does have moly but only about 1% so I don't worry too much about it with bearings (unless they changed the formula recently). Valvoline does specifically list u-joints as an application, so I really doubt there would be any issues.

UPDATE: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3299-2-DSSP.PDF Looks like they name Chevron Ultra-Duty EP2.

Last edited:
I've read that moly can indeed cause premature wear of the rollers in u joints. I'll have to see if I can find the article that convinced me.

The evidence was strong enough that I changed out the grease cartridge in my grease gun to Mobil1 red non moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back