Types of ATF fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by stanlee
Those multi spec transmission fluids work with older spec transmissions but most newer transmissions are very specific with the specification requirements. You do not want to put a multi spec Dextron/Mercon or "ATF" fluid in a transmission that requires Mercon V or Dextron IV. Manual transmissions are much more forgiving/less particular with fluid.

There is no such thing as Dexron IV.

What are the friction specification requirements among the various OEMs and how do they differ?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
You see Type F everywhere still on the shelves
But does anybody really need it that much anymore except for old stuff 🤔

I wonder that all the time. Is there really a demand for all this ford type f? If so those transmissions gotta be doing something right.

The power steering in my 1996 Ford Contour uses Type F ATF
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey

grin2.gif

Whimsey

Someone used it for their Corvette and I still do not understand the logic of using Type F in a Corvette auto.

grin2.gif

I believe the Town Car did as well, and my F-150 does, and so did the LTD. Ford didn't want to let go of that spec, did they?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
grin2.gif

I believe the Town Car did as well, and my F-150 does, and so did the LTD. Ford didn't want to let go of that spec, did they?
wink.gif

And the irony is that the automatic transmission for the Contour uses Mercon. You'd think they would have just used Mercon in the ps also. I still use the Type F for the power steering, so far so good for 23+ years
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Absolutely. The other irony is that the G37 calls for Dexron-VI, and the previous versions just called for the previous version of Dexron. They also stated you could use Nissan PSF or Matic D, J, or S as the case may be by year.

You have Dual Clutch Transmissions, Continuously Variable Transmissions, Automatic Transmissions and Manual Transmissions.

- Dual clutch transmissions (DCTs) are the fastest growing passenger car segment in the world, with a forecasted growth of 200% by 2017, especially in Europe, North America and China. There are two types of DCTs: wet and dry clutch. Unlike the dry variant, wet clutch DCTs are immersed in a lubricant. A wet DCT fluid must provide wear and synchronizer friction performance similar to a manual transmission fluid, as well as frictional properties similar to an automatic transmission fluid. Because of these unique requirements, neither a traditional MTF or ATF will suffice; a dedicated wet DCT fluid is needed.
- Continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) offer enhanced fuel efficiency over traditional automatic transmissions, making them increasingly popular choices for both passenger cars and in off-highway applications in Japan, China and the U.S. There are two main types of CVTs, belt or chain type, with similar lubrication needs. Since they both generate high metal-to-metal friction performance, they require unique metal friction performance, making them very different from a traditional stepped automatic transmission.
- Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is the most complex of all lubricating fluids. Not only does it have to reduce friction to prevent wear like all lubricants, but it also has to allow a certain level of friction so clutch materials can engage. Since most OEMs use proprietary frictional materials, virtually every ATF is OEM-specific. In some cases, they're transmission-specific. To improve fuel economy, transmission components are lighter, despite increased engine horsepower. And new fuel-efficient transmissions exhibit higher torque and higher operating temperatures. All these factors are stressing the ATF severely. Problems such as transmission shudder, poor shift feel and accelerated wear are becoming more common as drain intervals are increased.
- There are two main types of manual transmissions (MTs): synchronized and non-synchronized. Non-synchronized transmissions are more common in North America heavy duty vehicle applications. The focus on driver comfort has improved the designs of today's transmissions, especially in terms of shift feel and durability. The drive for improved fuel economy has also led to advancements in design and the use of a wide range of synchronizer materials. These changes in transmission design have led to advancements in transmission lubricant additive technology highlighting the importance of using a dedicated manual transmission fluid (MTF) that is matched to the frictional properties of these more complex materials.

Please stick to manufacturer's recommendation of specification to be used.

Originally Posted by vsssarma
You have Dual Clutch Transmissions, Continuously Variable Transmissions, Automatic Transmissions and Manual Transmissions.

- Dual clutch transmissions (DCTs) are the fastest growing passenger car segment in the world, with a forecasted growth of 200% by 2017, especially in Europe, North America and China. There are two types of DCTs: wet and dry clutch. Unlike the dry variant, wet clutch DCTs are immersed in a lubricant. A wet DCT fluid must provide wear and synchronizer friction performance similar to a manual transmission fluid, as well as frictional properties similar to an automatic transmission fluid. Because of these unique requirements, neither a traditional MTF or ATF will suffice; a dedicated wet DCT fluid is needed.
- Continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) offer enhanced fuel efficiency over traditional automatic transmissions, making them increasingly popular choices for both passenger cars and in off-highway applications in Japan, China and the U.S. There are two main types of CVTs, belt or chain type, with similar lubrication needs. Since they both generate high metal-to-metal friction performance, they require unique metal friction performance, making them very different from a traditional stepped automatic transmission.
- Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is the most complex of all lubricating fluids. Not only does it have to reduce friction to prevent wear like all lubricants, but it also has to allow a certain level of friction so clutch materials can engage. Since most OEMs use proprietary frictional materials, virtually every ATF is OEM-specific. In some cases, they're transmission-specific. To improve fuel economy, transmission components are lighter, despite increased engine horsepower. And new fuel-efficient transmissions exhibit higher torque and higher operating temperatures. All these factors are stressing the ATF severely. Problems such as transmission shudder, poor shift feel and accelerated wear are becoming more common as drain intervals are increased.
- There are two main types of manual transmissions (MTs): synchronized and non-synchronized. Non-synchronized transmissions are more common in North America heavy duty vehicle applications. The focus on driver comfort has improved the designs of today's transmissions, especially in terms of shift feel and durability. The drive for improved fuel economy has also led to advancements in design and the use of a wide range of synchronizer materials. These changes in transmission design have led to advancements in transmission lubricant additive technology highlighting the importance of using a dedicated manual transmission fluid (MTF) that is matched to the frictional properties of these more complex materials.

Please stick to manufacturer's recommendation of specification to be used.

There is one more type that can be added to the CVTs. The Toyota Hybrids uses a CVT that uses a planetary gearset. No belt or chain. Because of that, they only spec there WS ATF for that transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back