Type of Tran Filter and Fluid for Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tranny fluid flushed once at 60k, I am now at 160k and going to drop the pan and change the fluid and install new filter...with a friend.

Do I just go to any car store and ask for a tranny filter for a Taurus? Is there a specific brand I should ask for?

And, what time of fluid should I buy?

Any other advice?

Thanks.

You didn't say what year your vehicle was (that should help us all help you) but ATF tranny fluid should be MerconV.

1995 is the year. How much should I buy?

And what do I ask for at the store for a filter? Is it a kit? Are there different types?

The '95 Taurus is spec'd for Mercon (usually sold as Dexron III/Mercon)...do NOT use Mercon V in that year transaxle, or you may have seal problems. You'll need about 7 quarts for a pan-drop and filter change. The correct filter is a Motorcraft FT-129 or equivalent.

See if it states on the transmission pan whether it's equipped with a re-usable gasket (the later years were...not sure about '95)...if so, just reuse the original...if not, then use the cork gasket that is supplied with the filter, being sure to completely clean the gasket surfaces on the pan and the transmission case, and DO NOT over-tighten the bolts when installing...10 ft/lbs is plenty.

Have you considered changing ALL the fluid? It's not that difficult to do. With 100K on the fluid, it may be a good idea to exchange all of it.

RF...you are fixing me up with lots of great info...

Should I Auto-Rx the tranny as well?

Thanks again.

My father and my sister both own a Taurus, and being the family wrench, I HAD to learn about them...
wink.gif

As far as doing an Auto-Rx, if the ATF has only been changed once in 160,000 miles (as you mentioned above), then I don't know if that's a good idea...I don't have any experience with ARx in a transmission, especially not one with that many miles on it. I'm sure there are others here who will chime in.

The Taurus is a great car...it really has only 2 problems: Head gaskets in the 3.8L and the transaxle in all of them...normally, I recommend changing the ATF every 25,000 miles at most...more often if you tow or haul heavy stuff around, or if you drive in a "spirited" fashion.

Kestas suggest doing a complete fluid exchange; it the ATF is red and clear, then that's an excellent idea. However, if it's brown and smelly, you should start saving for a rebuild. Changing the the fluid slowly, by doing a pan-drop and filter now, then doing a pan-drop again after a couple of thousand miles, then perhaps a third pan-drop after a couple thousand more, may help extend the life of your transaxle.

My wife spent summers at her grandfather's house on 2nd Ave in Scituate...if you'd like, I could come by and give you a hand...send me a PM with your address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back