type f replacement

Let me preface this with... I'm not a ford guy... but in a power steering system circa 1992 that calls for type F fluid what is an ok replacement. Maybe type F is still around, just don't remember seeing it on the shelfs lately. I've seen some older JD tractors that originally called for type F as hydrailic fluid and now JD has their own low viscosity oil that replaces it. I'm pretty sure I have some of that around would it suffice?

I use Type F ATF for my 1996 Ford Contour power steering, factory fluid spec'd. I've been getting it at the major auto parts stores and Walmart. I don't believe it's been "orphaned" yet.

My nearest Walmart bought quart bottles of MerconV by the 6 pack.
The same could happen with any fluid at any store; not orphaned, but frequently absent.

Let me preface this with... I'm not a ford guy... but in a power steering system circa 1992 that calls for type F fluid what is an ok replacement. Maybe type F is still around, just don't remember seeing it on the shelfs lately. I've seen some older JD tractors that originally called for type F as hydrailic fluid and now JD has their own low viscosity oil that replaces it. I'm pretty sure I have some of that around would it suffice?
The low viscosity hyguard would work just fine. Just a simple hydraulic system.

I don’t know what technically superseded type f.

I haven’t seen it at Walmart. Haven’t seen it at any of the chain stores on the shelf but walked into OReillys today and asked about it and they did find a few quarts shoved behind something else so it will get me by for now.

You can get Type F ATF at Walmart. WMT Type F ATF
@mbaker And as good as any Type F, even the Advance Auto house brand is ok.

I still have a Type F additive package here and I can tell you from a detailed analysis it is nothing earth shattering in terms of chemical compounds. Type F is one of the most basic hydraulic fluids out there.

I recently replaced a power steering gearbox on an 88 F-250 and flushed and filled and filled the system with plain jane Dexron III fluid. It worked perfectly.

When I was a kid, I was told, "Type F has some texture to it."
Is there any comparative truth to that statement?
@ripcord I assume by texture you mean some kind of feeling when rubbed between the fingers.

It is the base oils in my view which determine the 'feel' of any ATF.

Contrary to popular lore, Type F does have friction modifiers but they are a different chemistry type and at a very low percentage, compared to the Dexron and Mercon series of ATFs.

When you look at an ATF elemental analysis, you will see Boron, Calcium, and Magnesium in a cheap analysis; they also act as secondary friction modifiers. What you won't see are organic ATF friction modifiers for wet clutches which are derived from the chemical family called non-hydroxyl fatty tetiary amines and specialized esters of various molecular structure.

That ATF chemistry works like this. The base oil, with Boron, Calcium, and Magnesium, has a bulk friction coefficient as tested on various friction machines. In order to provide the proper dynamic friction coefficient for the wet clutches, those tertiary amines of various types or families, are added in specific amounts to modify the dynamic friction coefficient, which is the Mu(v). The Mu(v) results from testing of the fluid/clutch system, i.e., the friction Mu found at various rotating velocities (v) of the clutch pressure plate and clutch disks. The clutch disks are made of porous materials which of course entrains the fluid before engagement and then some of the fluid is squeezed out during clutch engagement.

So, this Mu(v) is the result of the fluid's chemistry and its surface interaction with the clutch surfaces and is plotted on graphs.

Last edited:
@ripcord I assume by texture you mean some kind of feeling when rubbed between the fingers.

It is the base oils in my view which determine the 'feel' of any ATF.

Contrary to popular lore, Type F does have friction modifiers but they are a different chemistry type and at a very low percentage, compared to the Dexron and Mercon series of ATFs.

When you look at an ATF elemental analysis, you will see Boron, Calcium, and Magnesium in a cheap analysis; these are also secondarily act as friction modifiers. What you won't see are ATF friction modifiers for wet clutches which are derived from the chemistry family called non-hydroxyl fatty tetiary amines and specialized esters of various molecular structure..

That ATF chemistry works like this. The base oil, with Boron, Calcium, and Magnesium, has a bulk friction coefficient as tested on various friction machines. In order to provide the proper dynamic friction coefficient for the wet clutches, those tertiary amines of various types or families, are added in specific amounts to modify the dynamic friction coefficient, which is the Mu(v). The Mu(v) results from testing of the fluid/clutch system, i.e., the friction Mu found at various rotating velocities (v) of the clutch pressure plate and clutch disks. The clutch disks are made of porous materials which of course entrains the fluid before engagement and then the fluid some of the fluid is squeezed out during clutch engagement.

So, this Mu(v) is the result of the fluid's chemistry and its surface interaction with the clutches surfaces and is plotted on graphs.
Thanks!!! This is the kind of stuff that I like to read about

Although to the subject, there are very few p/s systems in the era OP mentions that care. Hydraulic fluid is hydraulic fluid here. You've got a basic pump and basic gearbox or rack.

There are no clutches or solenoids or anything complex, really.

Ford spec'd F in the steering because it was "their" fluid at the time. Same as Chrysler loved to call for +4 in 2nd Gen Rams and XJs: a Saginaw pump and recirculating ball cares not about the add pack.

Later on this becomes significant, like with the electric-over pumps Chrysler (or Stellantis et al) is VERY specific that it can't use the same fluid as engine-driven pumps.

You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to mix 'em......er however the song goes??

I just used Dex/Merc in '87-96 Ford trucks with perfect results (both original crappy C2 pumps and Sag swaps from vans of the era)

Back