Which type F?

Hello all. I'm planning to do a service on my 1959 Edsel with the Mile O matic automatic trans. It calls for type f now aday. At my local napa they are charging 11.99 for a quart of f. I know stuff isnt cheap but that's absurd. Walmart SUPERTECH is only like 5.49. Is the Walmart stuff just as good? I've heard its Warren Lube? I know oil is oil but wondering if it would work ok with decent daily-ish driving. Also what about their 80w90 for my diff? Thanks for any input.

Supertech is easy to find and is probably as good as any of the other Type F fluids on the market. That's what I use in the PS pump in my 88 E-150 and it has been problem free since new.

I would use the supertech Type F. If it meets spec, then it should be fine?. I am sure that spec isn't hard to achieve.

I wouldn't use anything other than type F.

Pics or it didn't happen. My dad had an Edsel - 1960 I think. He got it cheap because no one wanted them back then, but by the end all the bugs were fixed. He said it was a great car.

I would use the supertech Type F. If it meets spec, then it should be fine?. I am sure that spec isn't hard to achieve.

I wouldn't use anything other than type F.

Pics or it didn't happen. My dad had an Edsel - 1960 I think. He got it cheap because no one wanted them back then, but by the end all the bugs were fixed. He said it was a great car.
Thanks. Yes the 59s and 60s were amazing cars. The 58 not so good. The teletouch transmission was very picky a little too humid or it wouldnt shift... That car originally took Type A later being Ford replaced with type f. Thanks much!

I would use the Super Tech. I’ve had good results with their ATF+4, Mercon V, and just bought some Type F for my ‘74 Lincoln Mark IV. I also got some Providence (Rural King) Type F fluid (if I didn’t buy enough ST). Oh… it has a bit of a nasty fish smell right out of the bottle (I’ve done top-offs with it already).

I upgrade whenever possible.

Pay a little more and use ATI, Lucas, RedLine, Amsoil, B&M ....

Don't forget to adjust the bands.

I upgrade whenever possible.

Pay a little more and use ATI, Lucas, RedLine, Amsoil, B&M ....

Don't forget to adjust the bands.
Please link their type F.. also lucas sucks I wouldnt put it in anything. Their gear oil failed corrosion testing and their oil stabalizer is bright stock snake oil.
the only thing ok is their grease.

I've used supertech F in the deere 316's for almost 20 years no issues.

Last edited:
Please link their type F.. also lucas sucks I wouldnt put it in anything. Their gear oil failed corrosion testing and their oil stabalizer is bright stock snake oil.

Thanks. I dont find Lucas impressive either. Use the type f in my 140 and my previous 318 as well! Take care

Lucas doesn't suck. Their Type-F ATF has worked great for me. I could care less about ancient gear oil data out there.

Google will help you find the brands Type-F that were listed.

A lot of the boutique Type F fluids are marketed to drag racing applications. i.e. Powerglides behind thousand horse engines. Are those fluids going to be good in street applications? I don't know, just wondering.

They are not all the same. You are implying that group 1, 2, 2+, 3, PAO, and ester base oils are all the same.
The high/low temperature, wear protection, and degradation in performance with TypeF, can be greatly improved.

They are not all the same. You are implying that group 1, 2, 2+, 3, PAO, and ester base oils are all the same.
The high/low temperature, wear protection, and degradation in performance with TypeF, can be greatly improved.
Point me to a group 3 and Pao type f. For a spec as old as that almost no one is blending it beyond what it needs to be.

Back