Two year check in - Dewalt 20 V String Trimmer

I just sold my Poulan Pro two cycle string trimmer. I purchased a Dewalt 20 V string trimmer almost two years ago, so I am entering my third season of trimming. It has a 20 V 5 AHr battery. It still works great and provides the same amount of power and time as two years ago. Here is the site of the original review. Enjoy.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...02069/all/Dewalt_20_V_Battery_Weed_Wacke

You can now get a 6 AHr battery for it. Two batteries for $170 US on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Batte...battery&qid=1590930708&sprefix=d

Last edited:
Nice!

I have the same one. Was tired of messing with gas trimmers. No regrets at all, and I love small engines!

I love the battery system too. I have several Dewalt LED light wands, a small impact, the large 1/2 impact (which is awesome) and the drill.

Now you tell me!
wink.gif
I just bought a Ryobi 2 Cycle gas trimmer a week or so ago. I hesitated over battery vs Gas (and 2 cycle vs 4 cycle) but settled on a gas model just because. I do admit I'm not fond of the trimmer string advance mechanism as the "bump" portion isn't totally reliable but then again I also tangled the reload so think it's more my technique of loading.

My daughter uses the Dewalt trimmer at our place while her brother and I use 2-cycles. (We have a lot of ground to cover.) Keeps her busy for 20 minutes or so until my only 5 AHr battery gives out. How long does a charge normally last you? Maybe my battery is weak.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
gas 2 cycle are too loud

Agree big time, but electrics just aren't practical for me, so I usually combine foam ear plugs plus muffs when running saws and trimmers.

It is a good trimmer. Have one and a nice Kawasaki 2 cycle. I rarely grab the gas and it's more for the novelty of revving it up.

Once you go electric, you won't go back to gas.

I'm on my second season with an battery trimmer and blower too. Not DeWalt, but 36V Makita. Like you, I love electric.

I haven't used my Stihl gas trimmer since I got the electric. I do use my gas blower for vacuuming up leaves though, the Makita won't do that.

Originally Posted by ripcord
My daughter uses the Dewalt trimmer at our place while her brother and I use 2-cycles. (We have a lot of ground to cover.) Keeps her busy for 20 minutes or so until my only 5 AHr battery gives out. How long does a charge normally last you? Maybe my battery is weak.

20 min sounds right on high and using full power not feathering the throttle.

on low I usually get 35+

I dont really care much because its always more than enough and I have 3 batteries if needed.

about once a month I break out the gas and edge with it.. but the dewalt is 95% of what I need as Joe homeowner.

I'll hold off my thoughts till the 10 year review but many look promising and for light homeowner use seem great. I won't be giving up my Tanaka that gets abused commercially and all I do is put gas in it for the last 13 years and runs and starts like the day it was new.

I can't see it for a leaf blower or shredder vac, but I can see it's benefit for a low use weedwacker.

I'm interested in their pole saw.

My dewalt 20v batteries still work great too!

Originally Posted by twoheeldrive
Once you go electric, you won't go back to gas.

My 20V Dewalt is nowhere near the power of the Echo 2620 PAS. Doing my large rural fenceline requires 3 batteries and 1.5 hours with the Dewalt. The Echo about 20 minutes. A larger electric with more battery power would be needed.

I went with B&D 40v string trimmer now going into it's fifth year and sweeper going into it's third year. Both use the original battery from the trimmer and it shows no signs of slowing down as far as run time, I keep it in the house when not in use. For residential use it's the only way to go, so much better than messing with 100' cords or mixing fuel.

Last edited:
Ran a 20V 5AHr Dewalt set to low power just to see how long I would get trimming and keeping it on while walking in between spots to trim. I did not shut it off at all except to change hands to get a better position. It lasted 32 minutes. Normally I would let go of the lever while walking from one trim location to another.

Just did another test. This time with the Dewalt 20 V 5 AHr set to "High" cruised through my neighbours rocky slope full of foot high crabgrass. It last 20 minutes with it set to " High" the entire time.

Back