Two XG3387A C/P

Two filters from the last 1.5 years. Both look to be missing the wire backing and also not the expected thicker synthetic media from days past. One started to collapse and get wavy.

20231220_103506_HDR - Copy.jpg

20231220_103528_HDR - Copy.jpg

20231220_103612_HDR - Copy.jpg

20231220_103635_HDR - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Two filters from the last 1.5 years. Both look to be missing the wire backing and also not the expected thicker synthetic media from days past. One started to collapse and get wavy.

View attachment 193962

View attachment 193963

View attachment 193964

View attachment 193965
Yeah, the Synthetic Endurance FE3387A that I use in the Buick now has the wire mesh, and it's a fairly new "FRAM". (Clone of Amsoil/Royal Purple)

I'd go load up before they figure out they can save a nickel and think nobody will notice.

In fact, I already did. It seems maybe if they remove some features from the Ultra they can promote their Endurance line that's $4 more at Walmart. Or the Titanium at Advance (I think?)

Just a theory.

What the heck is going on with the baseplate on the shorter looking one? It looks like it is shoved down over the center tube (guessing that's the extremely wavy one)?? I think Fram would be getting a call on that, that is NOT normal... OP, you may have discovered yet another issue with the non-wire backed "Ultras"!

What the heck is going on with the baseplate on the shorter looking one? It looks like it is shoved down over the center tube (guessing that's the extremely wavy one)?? I think Fram would be getting a call on that, that is NOT normal... OP, you may have discovered yet another issue with the non-wire backed "Ultras"!
You mean the end cap? They both have a lip that goes over the center tube end.

The one on the left looks ok. The one on the right, horrible (pleating).

Got a guesstimate on the miles interval for the filters?

Thanks for c&p.

I
Is Wix good again? I stopped using them in 2022 because people here were experiencing cans that leaked...
Great question, I'm not sure about those other leaking experiences. I've only used Purolator's & I'd personally go with a Purolator over a Wix but there's word on here that there's a shifting & more WIX's are now essentially a Purolator. Just go check a couple out like the One & Boss line to see what you think. They're great because they're giving out the actual efficiencies for those filters. No other company is really doing that. Otherwise, There are other excellent quality filters like the Premium Guard made ones & if you have an Oreilly's near you they're the same as their Microgards. You preferably want their extended line but I've see a few great looking standard one's too. Go to your local parts store & ask if you can look at some part numbers for you application. I've done that several times & everytime the guys or gal are super cool about it. What brands do you like?

I

Great question, I'm not sure about those other leaking experiences. I've only used Purolator's & I'd personally go with a Purolator over a Wix but there's word on here that there's a shifting & more WIX's are now essentially a Purolator. Just go check a couple out like the One & Boss line to see what you think. They're great because they're giving out the actual efficiencies for those filters. No other company is really doing that. Otherwise, There are other excellent quality filters like the Premium Guard made ones & if you have an Oreilly's near you they're the same as their Microgards. You preferably want their extended line but I've see a few great looking standard one's too. Go to your local parts store & ask if you can look at some part numbers for you application. I've done that several times & everytime the guys or gal are super cool about it. What brands do you like?
Wix and Purolator are the same filters now just with different branding. They were both taken over by Mann+Hummel.

I think I'm going to go with the O'Reilly option.

Back