Two early 2000's Fords upcoming OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to add also that I will probably eventually switch to a longer OCI, at least on the Focus if everything looks nice and clean under the valve cover. Because the car is still new to me I'd like to get under and all around it more often for right now until I know the ins and outs of this car better.

Ifix,

I understand your delima as I too have a 96 Ford Taurus with 63K and a 2007 Chev Impala with 34K that I inherited from my aunt in 2014. The Ford Taurus currently has Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage 5w-30 and the Impala I just changed using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Both cars have the Fram Ultra Filter. I too am doing 5K OCI and so my choices in oil and filter for many here are overkill and a financial waste. That being said I took advantage of a few sales and rebates which helped. The Filter choice I am willing to over spend as the Napa Gold/Wix and the Fram Ultra are pretty much priced around $8 in my area both are excellent.
I could buy an oil filter for maybe $3 or $4 less but I can live with the decision to splurge. In terms of oil the ones that have been mentioned are all excellent. I like either a full synthetic or at least a blend. Since you live in much colder weather I would probably stay with the 5W-20 or 0W-20. What I have found to be most important is that it is just not about the oil change for older vehicles, each month since I got these cars I have made sure to address maintance. Started with replacing all the fluids, then replaced hoses and belts, waterpumps, new spark plugs, fuel filter, ball joints, tie rods, end links,...ect. Not all were needed right at the time but each one needed to be addressed and by doing at least one each month I did not overwhelm myself and a few months I just chose to do nothing just to give myself a break. Good Luck

I'm wondering if using a top-tier '10k' filter over two conventional oil OCI's is not a bad idea? I have no problem spending $8 on a filter that will last me 10k miles as long as it's not counterproductive to do so.

I have a 1996 Contour with the Zetec engine. I've stuck with the then factory recommended 5W-30 oils. I've done up to ~8,800 OCI with PP 5W-30 with a sterling UOA that said I could go further on the same oil and filter. I did not need to add any make up oil during the OCI. The oil was barely below the full mark at 8,800 miles. Yes the oil filter on this engine is a difficult mess unless you "hang" the suspension. I jack the front passenger site of the car, remove the tire then easily and cleanly remove the oil filter. This is why using a long life filter with a silicon ADBV is necessary such as a Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 for multiple oil changes. It makes every other oil change less messy. My wife has a 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 and at 175,000 miles using oil filters with silicon ADBV and MC 5W-20 oil and other synthetic 0/5W-20 it is quiet in starting and operating. Plus using up to 9,000 mile OCI's she uses no real measurable oil per OCI.

Whimsey

Ok, thanks for all the replies. Unless a mood strikes me I will probably go with Ms5k and a Motorcraft fl400s for this OCI.

Now, being that I'm going to replace my valve cover gasket at the same time, what's the best sequence to do so in? Drain oil, r&r gasket, then refill? Obviously trying to minimize the introduction of foreign matter into the crankcase, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back