Two early 2000's Fords upcoming OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've been lurking here a while and I think I'm afflicted with the sickness. This occurred to me the other day as I was mowing/mulching what is hopefully the last of the season's fallen leaves and daydreaming about my upcoming OCI on my Briggs-powered lawnmower and the switch to something new and exciting such as Rotella 15w-40.

Anyway, my dilemma is this. I have a 2001 Ford Focus 2.0 'Zetec' DOHC with about 140k miles. Doesn't seem to consume any perceptible amount of oil so far. It will be hitting the 5k mark in the next couple hundred miles. Currently running MC 5w-20 blend with no issues whatsoever. I do short-trip the car a few times a week but I drive a 17-mile trip to work 5 - 6 nights a week so I'm hoping that will negate the few short-trips... maybe? I just purchased this car from its original owner in NC back in July. He informed me that the car's always been fed a 5w-20 synthetic blend. He didn't specify a brand, but being that he worked at a Ford dealership I can surmise that it was more than likely MC. I can't see any reason to try a different oil on the next OCI but there's that itch to try something new... I missed out on a couple of KMart Smitty's deals and I missed out on the Napa Synthetic deal. I was going to try 0w-20 but didn't really want to extend OCI's as I really enjoy the oil change ritual; again, that sickness. And, being that I need to change the valve cover gasket soon, which I had planned to coincide with this upcoming OCI, I really don't want to wait for a chance and the good Autozone clearance deals. With this one, I will likely get the same MC 5w-20 syn blend unless someone else has any better suggestions?

My second upcoming OCI is not as upcoming. Earlier in the year I purchased a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 with about 120k miles on it. My wife short-trips it maybe once or twice a week, more highway runs with it. Running the same MC 5w-20 blend as the Focus. Per the OLM it's about 65% (3200ish miles assuming it's mileage-only) through the OCI. I know with the full 6 quarts of a fresh change it doesn't hit 'Max' but I was a bit alarmed the other day as the level on dipstick is sitting about 1/32" above 'Min'. I have an extra 1/2 quart left from the focus that I will probably top it off with. Since the previous owner didn't even know what oil was in it, I have no clue as to the maintenance history, but it appears that it wasn't as babied as the Focus was, though it's newer and has less miles. The oil filter, when I changed it, felt as though it was put on with an impact wrench, and the drain plug didn't thread in and out super smoothly as I was expecting. There are no visible leaks on the engine but I do have some doubts about the PCV valve, so I may take a look at that. My rational side says to just run another OCI of MC blend 5w-20 and see if the consumption levels off. Then I have these BITOGer voices in my head telling me that maybe PHM 5w-30 would slow consumption... maybe just 5w-20... then it all goes to a blur.

Both vehicles are running the prescribed Motorcraft filters and unless I find something of equal or better quality I will probably continue with MC filters.

I'm not going to ask because I already know, yes, I'm overthinking it but I think I'm in good company here. Anyone have any directions to point me in?

Although the Motorcrafts are made by Purolater they seem to still be ok other then the lack of threads on the 820's ....What filter was on there when you bought it?

Motorcraft oil is good just overpriced and they can change oil companies anytime making it hard to know what is in the jug.. I believe its still Conoco but who knows when they may change.... Another good choice that is priced ok is the 5w20 QSUD if you like synthetic or just the Pennzoil yellow bottle which is a great proven Dino

If it was me, I'd switch to Maxlife 5W-30 about now. See if they are nice an quiet and happy. If so, run on
smile.gif

I'd switch to Napa Gold (WIX) for the filter
smile.gif

Last edited:
yup you can't go wrong with a Wix either but as for the oil i prefer the Pennzoil High Mileage because it has worked very well for me and a number of my customers in the past.
Im not saying there is anything wrong with the max life im just saying the PHM is great stuff.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Although the Motorcrafts are made by Purolater they seem to still be ok other then the lack of threads on the 820's ....What filter was on there when you bought it?

Motorcraft oil is good just overpriced and they can change oil companies anytime making it hard to know what is in the jug.. I believe its still Conoco but who knows when they may change.... Another good choice that is priced ok is the 5w20 QSUD if you like synthetic or just the Pennzoil yellow bottle which is a great proven Dino

Can't remember what filter was on either vehicle but neither was a 'major' brand. I did forget to mention that the Mountaineer has what I believe to be some timing chain/tensioner/guide rattle noise for the first second or two of cold startup. I had strongly considered the 0w-20 for that reason, also.

I've also thought quite a bit about PYB as I'm sticking to 5k OCI's, not to mention that I did notice a lot of sludgy buildup inside the oil cap. Again, though the oil cap is mounted on a tube a few inches up away from the cam/valve cover.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
If it was me, I'd switch to Maxlife 5W-30 about now. See if they are nice an quiet and happy. If so, run on
smile.gif

I'd switch to Napa Gold (WIX) for the filter
smile.gif

I'm pretty open to going up one grade to 5w-30 as long as my mileage doesn't suffer. From what I've read on here, though, it probably won't. It's more of a factor on the Focus, anyway. I'm lucky to get 16mpg on the Mountaineer as it's full-time AWD so economy is rather a lost cause there, plus with the questionable maintenance history I'd rather run 'safe' on that one.

I've always heard good things about Wix (Napa Gold) filters and they seem to be a favorite here, but am I wasting money for a 5k OCI? I could justify buying those, I think if I can get into a cheaper oil such as PYB, etc. Looking at what's in stock at my local WM, I see Mobil Super HM is also at a bit lower price point.

Last edited:
If you listen carefully most of the 4.6 engines make that noise if we are talking about the same sound.. It could also be a belt tensioner noise you are hearing.
I hear that noise on most 4.6 engines including my own. Most people don't hear that because they don't listen for it. Those engines on average are very long lasting anyway.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
If you listen carefully most of the 4.6 engines make that noise if we are talking about the same sound.. It could also be a belt tensioner noise you are hearing.
I hear that noise on most 4.6 engines including my own. Most people don't hear that because they don't listen for it. Those engines on average are very long lasting anyway.

In perusing this board and an Explorer forum I'd found that the noise seemed to be commonplace. It does also sound like it could be a rattling belt-drive accessory. My greater concern is the drop in oil level. I'm guessing, that it might be within 'acceptable' limits anyway, but I'd still like to remedy it. Especially considering the Focus holds the oil level pretty well.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
If you are only going 5000 I'd keep using the Motorcraft or any conventional, really.

+1 Yeah, both those units have some age on them. At 5k OCI, you'd be fine with Supertech 5W-20 or 30.

Ok, so being that my 5k OCI will allow virtually any oil, I think I will run another OCI of Motorcraft in the Mountaineer and see if the consumption levels off.

In the Focus which is 'due' sooner, I will likely try something new... because BITOG-ism. I will probably run a conventional and see what jumps out at me among the WM shelves. Maybe some MS5K or PYB, we'll see. Of course, barring any good Advance, etc oil change specials, which I doubt will be able to beat WM prices.

Any other recommendations on filters besides the Napa Gold in place of the Motorcraft? Maybe a better question is what to avoid? I know certain Purloators have a bad reputation.

I have 2 Focus Ztecs. The 2001 with 225k miles and has been well cared for, is really quiet with Maxlife 5w-20 and uses 1/2 a quart in 5000 miles. The 2002 with 190k and has had a rough life, sounds like a sewing machine with it and uses no oil. Both seem to run really well with it and Both started easily at -35f, and get good fuel economy.

I get similar results with Motorcraft 5w-20, but both use a quart or more in 5000 miles and it costs more than Maxlife.

With Defy 5w-20 Both are quiet, don't use any oil but don't get as good of mileage.

With QSUD 5w-20 the 2002 Got good mileage and ran well, but it was noisy and used 2 quarts in 8000 miles. I never tried it with the 2001.

I had a couple of bad Motorcraft filters so I stopped using them. With the FL-400s I had a slight start up rattle, and a loud start up rattle after sitting over a week with both cars. The XG3600 I only tried on the 2002 and it made less noise than the Motorcraft and it only made noise after sitting a day or more. The Wix 51315 on both cars, only had a slight start up rattle after sitting for a few weeks. I currently have a Mobil 1 M1-211 on the 2002 and it is quiet at start up so far, but it has not sat for more than a day or two yet.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
I have 2 Focus Ztecs. The 2001 with 225k miles and has been well cared for, is really quiet with Maxlife 5w-20 and uses 1/2 a quart in 5000 miles. The 2002 with 190k and has had a rough life, sounds like a sewing machine with it and uses no oil. Both seem to run really well with it and Both started easily at -35f, and get good fuel economy.

I get similar results with Motorcraft 5w-20, but both use a quart or more in 5000 miles and it costs more than Maxlife.

With Defy 5w-20 Both are quiet, don't use any oil but don't get as good of mileage.

With QSUD 5w-20 the 2002 Got good mileage and ran well, but it was noisy and used 2 quarts in 8000 miles. I never tried it with the 2001.

I had a couple of bad Motorcraft filters so I stopped using them. With the FL-400s I had a slight start up rattle, and a loud start up rattle after sitting over a week with both cars. The XG3600 I only tried on the 2002 and it made less noise than the Motorcraft and it only made noise after sitting a day or more. The Wix 51315 on both cars, only had a slight start up rattle after sitting for a few weeks. I currently have a Mobil 1 M1-211 on the 2002 and it is quiet at start up so far, but it has not sat for more than a day or two yet.

This is making me re-think now, lots of 'votes' for MaxLife. I think I'll decide not to decide just yet, but I'm leaning, at least for now, toward trying MaxLife in both vehicles. My goal is to find something that works well in both while curtailing the consumption I'm seeing in the Mountaineer.

Let me ask you, is there a secret to getting the oil filter off the Zetec engine without dumping it everywhere?

Keep the suggestions and anecdotal evidence coming, I'm still not completely bewildered yet
grin.gif

Nothing wrong with Motorcraft, but for 5k, any SN dino will do, if it can be had cheaper than MC.

If you're going to Autozone and don't already have a stash of filters, get the STP S8316. That filter is very well-made for a jobber filter. It even has a silicone ADBV and is NOT an Ecore like most cheap Champs are (like most of the blue STP line).

There's also the Napa Silver 31315 on sale until the end of December.

Walmart has their Magnatec for $18-something for a 5qt jug. Comparable in price to MC, but the Magnatec is a full synthetic in 0w20 and 5w20.

Try something new, then.
The Focus must be a Zetec, like our '01.
Since you live in OH, there must be a Meijer or Rural King near you, maybe one of each.
Buy some Meijer Auto Quest synthetic 5W-20 for both, or some of Rural King's house brand, also available in 0W-20 if you dare (why not?).
You could also use the 5W-30 grade of either oil in both vehicles.
No harm either way.
Meijer has their house brand syn on sale for $14.39/jug, with a five dollar off coupon on auto dept purchases of thirty bucks or more also available, while Rural King has their house brand syn on sale for $2.79/qt.
For shorter drains, I'd use either and have used Meijer syn in our Focus.
I have a sample of Meijer syn 5W-20 from a 5K+ run in the Focus.
I need to send it off to Polaris.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Any other recommendations on filters besides the Napa Gold in place of the Motorcraft? Maybe a better question is what to avoid? I know certain Purloators have a bad reputation.

One of the best filters in it's price class imo with a high efficiency rating. Keeps the oil a nice honey color thru the oci. Unlike the oem Toyota filters on the Toyota Matrix.

Where in NE Ohio are you?

Since your a MC Syn-Blend user, are you aware that MC Syn-Blend now has a.....0w20?

Not sold at Walmart, so the only place you can get it is a Ford Dealership.

Since your mind-set is for 5K OCI's.....a Full-Syn would just be overkill. A good conventional might be your best bet. Either PYB of QSAD would be a good choice IMO.

Continue to stay with MC filters,,,,since thay have a good reputation.

I have neither a Rural King nor a Meijer nearby enough to oil shop there.

I'm about 20-ish miles south of Youngstown in a town called Salem. Satin, are you talking about the Motorcraft being best in class?

I've heard of the MC 0w-20 but, as it isn't sold at WM, haven't been motivated enough to go to the dealer to get it. I find it interesting that it's a blend but also a 0w.

I'm still heavily leaning toward a quality conventional for the Focus and probably some HM flavor for the Mutineer. By and large most HM varieties are also blends at the very least, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back