Two-cycle vs. Four-cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have been thinking about purchasing a backpack leaf blower and I am coming across models with two-cycle and four-cycle engines. Can anybody please help explain what the difference between them is?

2 cycle revs higher and requires you to mix gas and oil. They stink a little more but I've found it not to be that bad with modern oils.

True 4 cycle you put regular gas into it and change the oil just like on your car. They rev less but make more torque and can be heavy. I had one on a weedwacker and hated it. Worst of both worlds and it didn't seem to have much power.

New 4-Mix or hybrid 4 cycles have torque and decent power. But you need to use a gas/oil mix so there is no oil to change. I've got one on a Stihl KM-130R and love it. Revs well, has tons of power, relatively lightweight, and no oil to change.

itguy hit it right on the nose. My experiences have been similar in that with real small engines twostroke is usually the better choice.

two stroke all day....
But use a good low smoke oil and dont
mix anything stronger than recomended.

RPM is everything when it comes to blowers, and 2 cycles have it all over the 4 strokers. The added benefit is lighter weight. I've had an Echo and now have a Husqvarna 150BT and am very happy with it.

Also: 2-stroke have a power stroke EVEY down stroke of the piston. 4 cycle only every other downstroke. So, more torque at XX RPM for specific weight of unit and less moving parts - no valvetrain on the 2.

I hope this is for pro use and not home use if you have neighbors. Noise pollution.

Last edited:
Two cycles engines are:

Comparatively light
More powerful
Mechanically simple, very reliable and require minimal maintenance.

The downside is mixing fuel, slightly more fuel consumption, a bit noisier and slightly more emissions when cold. Once warmed up and running at speed, they're virtually smokeless.

Two strokes all the way!

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Two cycles engines are:

Comparatively light
More powerful
Mechanically simple, very reliable and require minimal maintenance.

The downside is mixing fuel, slightly more fuel consumption, a bit noisier and slightly more emissions when cold. Once warmed up and running at speed, they're virtually smokeless.

Two strokes all the way!

Yes sir. 2 strokes have better power delivery, mechanical reliability but worse efficiency/emissions, which are all 4T has going for it IMO vs 2T and those are not worth giving up the benefits of 2T

Originally Posted By: bchannell
RPM is everything when it comes to blowers, and 2 cycles have it all over the 4 strokers. The added benefit is lighter weight. I've had an Echo and now have a Husqvarna 150BT and am very happy with it.

Not necessarily. Fan/blower design is everything. You can move the same or more air with lower RPM if the fan is designed better.

At this point of development and for this type of equipment, no contest, 2-stroke for the win.

I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
At this point of development and for this type of equipment, no contest, 2-stroke for the win.

I dono, I'd take a Stihl BR600 Magnum over just about anything and that's a 4-Mix engine. And if you get a KM-130R (4-Mix) and throw the blower attachment on, I hear that's a formidable combo as well. That's my next attachment.

I have had both 2 stroke and 4 stroke as backpack blowers, both entry level.

the troy-built 4-stroke backpack I have now starts every time on the 2nd-3rd pull, requires no make-up oil, sips fuel, and gets an oil change once per year. It is zero fuss. It delivers slightly less oomph than the 2-stroke backpack I used to have. It also consumes maybe 1/2 the fuel.

The 2-stroke... came from HD but I don't recall the brand. It had more power... maybe 20%? but could be a pain to start, especially after sitting more than 2 weeks. It was a touch lighter, but was a backpack so it didn't really matter to me. It ran at a higher rpm and did make a little more noise but it wasn't bad. the exh dumped into the blower.

If I could choose again, I would still take the 4-stroke. if everything else makes it even, I stink less after an hour of blowing.

I have had both 2 stroke and 4 stroke as backpack blowers, both entry level.

the troy-built 4-stroke backpack I have now starts every time on the 2nd-3rd pull, requires no make-up oil, sips fuel, and gets an oil change once per year. It is zero fuss. It delivers slightly less oomph than the 2-stroke backpack I used to have. It also consumes maybe 1/2 the fuel.

The 2-stroke... came from HD but I don't recall the brand. It had more power... maybe 20%? but could be a pain to start, especially after sitting more than 2 weeks. It was a touch lighter, but was a backpack so it didn't really matter to me. It ran at a higher rpm and did make a little more noise but it wasn't bad. the exh dumped into the blower.

If I could choose again, I would still take the 4-stroke. if everything else makes it even, I stink less after an hour of blowing.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning.

Like this?

DSCN1427_zps8d560dbf.jpg

Four strokes can make more power?

I guess that would be correct if you increase displacement. However cc to cc, a two cycle engine will produce more power than a four cycle engine of equivalent displacement.

Originally Posted By: yardpro
Two-cycle engines require a mixture of gas and oil in the tank, and are lighter and easier to maintain than four-cycle engines. Four-cycle engines are more fuel efficient and can produce more power, but are usually heavier than two-cycle engines. This article might help explain it a little better.

http://www.leafblowersdirect.com/stories/245-How-To-Pick-The-Perfect-Backpack-Leaf-Blower.html

I have always been a fan of the two-cycle models myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back