Twin Tubro Stealth oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 91 Stealth R/T TT and it is now time to change the oil. Oil capacity is 4.5 quarts, I was planning on 1 quart mobil 1 15w-50, and 3.5 quarts of 10w-30. The reason for the 15w-50 is to thicken up the 10w-30 which I believe is just a little to thin for a high horsepower turbocharged car.

I also noticed mobil 1 5w-40 which I had not heard of until yesterday. Should I stick with my orginal plan of mixing 15w-50 & 10w-30, or try 5w-40?

Yeah, I read that article. I'm just wondering if mixing the two grades is just as good as the 5w-40, and vice-versa

Personally, if your going to do a reasonable oci, I wouldn't hesitate to use the M1 10W-30 straight, even. It'll help the turbo spool faster.

Cole. There is no problem mixing
the two grades of Mobil 1. I will
be doing just that with my BMW
just to get a higher viscosity.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cole:
Yeah, I read that article. I'm just wondering if mixing the two grades is just as good as the 5w-40, and vice-versa

Due to comments that people who are smarter than me have said, the mix probably won't be as good as straight M1 SUV (however, both will be fine). Mobil states that you can mix your oils, but sources here say that M1 SUV 5w-40 uses better base stocks than the normal M1 oils.

there is another thread recently on a mitsubishi 3000gt twin turbo on which oil to use. The dodge stealth twin turbo and mitsubishi twin turbo have the same internals
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies. I read the 3000GT article and it confirms what I already thought about needing a little thicker oil than 10w-30 provides for out cars. I picked up a 5 quart jug of 10w30 and 1 quart of 15w-50 at walmart yesterday, and that was the first I had seen the 5w-40. Not being familiar with it, I decided to see what people here had to say about it. I'll probably just run the mix and then try the 5w-40 and see if I notice any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back