TV Antennas

It’s kind of cool seeing this thread come back to life, call me crazy but it seems people desire to cut the cord has grown so much that so many streaming packages are coming out they are getting close to extracting close to the same amount of money from some people as before they cut the cable!

We are still good with our mid level Netflex, low level Hulu and Apple TV plus all majors networks and sub channels 30 channels in all from our OTA (over the air attic antenna)
We also have 6 Roku players.
We have way to much TV to watch.

We also share our Netflex with our out of state daughter and she shares her HBO/Paramount with us, this was just a perk and not needed at all. In fact confuses us because we have way too much stuff to watch. Our daughter switches around her stuff to whatever she subscribes too in any given year and she shares but again need to stress it’s a perk, not used often except for a movie once in a great while.

Ps, as of this year we have TMobile 55+ Cell plan and they pay about 50% of our Netflex subscription. T-Mobile pays the basic Netflex package and we pay the additional dollars for the midlevel package.

Our total monthly TV bill is under $20 a month now that TMobile pays for basic Netflex.
From time to time we also rent movies from Redbox $2 or one of the streaming services $6.
This is normally maybe two maybe three times a month it’s our weekend after going out to dinner movie.🙃

Last edited:
It’s kind of cool seeing this thread come back to life, call me crazy but it seems people desire to cut the cord has grown so much that so many streaming packages are coming out they are getting close to extracting close to the same amount of money from some people as before they cut the cable!
Agreed on the cost. We had Netflix and FuboTV for the last few years and it was approaching $100 per month for both. I have had a PLEX server running for years, but until recently we mainly used that for movies. I decided to upgrade the hard drive and buy a network tuner to use with our OTA antenna. Now we use the PLEX server as a DVR, and can watch live or recorded OTA content on any TV via a Roku device. Roku also has quite a bit of content on their own channel. I canceled Netflix and FuboTV two months ago and no one has complained. Yesterday I took it a step farther and cancelled our Amazon Prime subscription.

I expect there will be some griping once the NHL season starts (we like to watch hockey), but I can at least get some of the games via CTV out of Montreal.

Agreed on the cost. We had Netflix and FuboTV for the last few years and it was approaching $100 per month for both. I have had a PLEX server running for years, but until recently we mainly used that for movies. I decided to upgrade the hard drive and buy a network tuner to use with our OTA antenna. Now we use the PLEX server as a DVR, and can watch live or recorded OTA content on any TV via a Roku device. Roku also has quite a bit of content on their own channel. I canceled Netflix and FuboTV two months ago and no one has complained. Yesterday I took it a step farther and cancelled our Amazon Prime subscription.

I expect there will be some griping once the NHL season starts (we like to watch hockey), but I can at least get some of the games via CTV out of Montreal.
Good Point about the recording capability you hooked up. I dont understand exactly what you did and can look up "PLEX SERVER" later today.
On one of the 5 TVs that the antenna serves (there is a 6th TV but only Roku player, no antenna connection)
We did buy a DVR with two built in tuners for OTA and external hard drive from Channel Master some years back. Its really cool how it works and no subscription fee. It works EXACTLY like any pay TV box. Has the full TV schedule for all the channels that you receive, you can click and record, multiple recording schedules, including options to only record new episodes. Of course the basics like pause and live pause, fast forward rewind.
We have had one of these for over a decade but at some point in-between one of them stopped working, the newer model that Channel Master sold was even better and still working perfectly. Channel Master no longer sells it but they do sell a version of it now with the TiVo company. I do wish they still sold the one that I have non TIVO as it is so reliable for years and years now. I bought my son and daughter in law a TIVO unit a couple years back since again, Channel Master didnt sell the one I had anymore. I recently heard for them its not working (sounds like maybe the built in hard drive) I cant, until I see it say anything more or if maybe they were just one of the unlucky ones.
Me personally would not hesitate to buy the TIVO if I had to.

You know, sometimes the public hesitates to spend money to save money. I tell this to my wife all the time. They take all these so called "free" packages from pay TV companies that are not even close to free. Same goes for "free cell phones" That is why when I get into something like the OTA antenna which I posted photos before this post and buying all needed equipment to make my life the same as it was when I paid for TV at the monthly cost up to $80 a month less.
So I just hit my calculator over the last 12 years of not paying for TV and only paying for streaming and renting DVDs ect. Using a conservative number of saving $70 a month times 12 years = $10,080.00 of AFTER TAX income I have saved. Throw in a couple thousand more savings before taxes which is actual earned money. There is so much waste in our society for those whom complain, they need to look at where their paycheck is going. For others no big deal at all, we all spend money on things worth it to us. I figured all the money I saved on my TV costs, telephone costs, insurance costs by getting new quotes one or two times a year paid for my new at the time 2014 Harley Road King. :)
This is my "thing" everyone else has their own but if someone is complaining about the cost of something, they need to do something about it and reward themselves or save the money. (I have the habit of rewarding myself *LOL*) Darn it, another long post of mine because my gym called and canceled our class/sesson just now.

Last edited:
Back