TV Antenna Signal Amplifier

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I installed a HDTV antenna in the attic and get a ton of channels, but a couple of the main channels are sometimes coming in weak and cuts out once and awhile (like when air planes fly over or the weather isn't ideal). I've tried pointing the antenna every way possible and still have a few weak channels that just won't come in solid all the time.

I was looking at getting an antenna signal booster like the ones shown below that have an adjustable gain control. I would mount this inside close to the antenna and before the "1 into 2" signal splitter. Was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience using a signal booster like these. I'm assuming if the amplification is turned up too much it will over-boost the signal and I could lose some channels - ??.

Anyone have any experience with any of the following models?

I have a large 1996 vintage antenna in my attic that allows me to view around 60ish channels. I tried using the signal amp I had up there - that DID help back in the analog TV days - but it did not improve the channels with weak signals or allow me to view channels that didn't have adequate signal strength in the first place. What I have is an RCA model VH121, which is a 25dB amp. The video above jibes with my experience as I only have a single TV connected to the antenna and the cable run isn't very long.

How far are you from the broadcast towers ?
Farthest one is probably 45-50 miles. Almost all of the 79 channels I get are strong and clear. Just a few that cut-out sometimes.

Take a listen to the "Antenna Man" he's very knowledgable.

The one main channel I can't get well on the attic antenna will come in OK on a small 1ft x 1ft indoor wall antenna (with is way lower in elevation than the attic antenna) if I monkey around with it ... go figure. The attic antenna is picking them up ... I just have a feeling I'm losing too much signal on the weak channels through the splitter and coax cable length to the wall outlets in the house. If that's the case, then a signal amplifier like the Skywalker may work in my case. I might buy one and try it out ... only way to know I guess. Maybe just a small amplification gain (like 7-10 dB) would be enough to make the weak channels stable and not clobber the strong channels.

The one main channel I can't get well on the attic antenna will come in OK on a small 1ft x 1ft indoor wall antenna (with is way lower in elevation than the attic antenna) if I monkey around with it ... go figure.
Maybe your house is at the drop off point for the signal. I think the signal is like a bullet.....it only goes so far then drops to the ground. idk

Those 1ftX1ft antennas aren't very expensive, and they usually come with their own digital amplifier. You can also get better ones rated up to about 60 miles of range. You could just put those in the attic, maybe more than one, do away with the splitter and get some attic space back.

Maybe your house is at the drop off point for the signal. I think the signal is like a bullet.....it only goes so far then drops to the ground. idk
Maybe ... but the weak channels will come in and stay good most of the time. The 1 into 2 splitter cuts the signal in half, and there is some loss in all the cable length. From what I understand, if the issue is signal loss from the cable length and splitter, then an amplifier like the Skywalker should help out. But if it's more due to the antenna itself, then amplifying the signal probably isn't going to help.

Farthest one is probably 45-50 miles.
Okay, was just wondering if you were possibly close already (less than ~20 miles) and if so, you probably want to avoid any amplification or you can overdrive the TV tuner (which results in poor signal).

Try an amplifier in this case (sorry, no experience as I've never needed ones for my distances).

Is your antenna pointing through wood and shingles, vinyl siding, or metal siding ? If you remove the splitter, how do those weaker channels appear ?

Is your antenna pointing through wood and shingles, vinyl siding, or metal siding ?
Wood and shingles ... no metal siding. The attic antenna brought in way more channels than the indoor wall 1 ft x 1 ft antenna did. But just a couple channels not quite strong enough to be stable. When I had the TV do an auto-scan after hooking up the attic antenna it found 79 channels. The indoor wall antenna only had 49 channels. So I was actually surprised one of the main area channels didn't come in well with the attic antenna when I could get it with a lowly inside wall antenna. But with the attic antenna there is a 1 into 2 splitter and way more coax cable length involved (signal killer).

Maybe I'll get a coax coupler and bypass the splitter as a test to see if the signal is better (should be twice as strong without the splitter). If so, then I'm losing too much signal after the antenna, and if so then an amp like the Skywalker may be the fix.

Last edited:
I have my antenna with a rotator on my roof and pick up a lot of channels, rotating the antenna will help you pick up stations out of your area, late night will really bring in channels. ;)

You can't boost a signal you are not getting.
See Post #12. I'm pretty sure the "weak stations" are being picked up by the attic antenna if a measly flat 1 ft x 1 ft wall antenna will get the same channels stable. The splitter bypass test will tell if this is the case or not. If the weak channels come in way better without the splitter than an amp between the antenna and splitter could help.

Do you know what real channel the problem station is on. UHF or Hi-VHF. I think your idea of bypassing the splitter is a good one. Also keep in mind not all splitters are created equal. Ideal is -3.5dB but a poor one will drop more. If you determine that the 3 or 4 db gain is all you need you might try a Walmart ONN outdoor amp. I bought one after my Winegard died after only 18 mo because it was cheap and available. It has been fine for a year and Walmart has a very liberal return policy if it does not help. I also notice you are in the PNW, do you have strong LTE there, an outdoor antenna can sometimes amplify LTE interference.

Do you know what real channel the problem station is on. UHF or Hi-VHF. I think your idea of bypassing the splitter is a good one. Also keep in mind not all splitters are created equal. Ideal is -3.5dB but a poor one will drop more. If you determine that the 3 or 4 db gain is all you need you might try a Walmart ONN outdoor amp. I bought one after my Winegard died after only 18 mo because it was cheap and available. It has been fine for a year and Walmart has a very liberal return policy if it does not help.
The 1 into 2 splitter I'm using says it is a -3.5 dB loss on each output. One of the problem channels is digital channel 30 (virtual channel 4, KOMO/ABC). They broadcast in 720, not even 1080. Maybe it's a low power transmitter compared to other transmitters in the same general area.

RF Ch 30 is 569 MHz (UHF)

I also notice you are in the PNW, do you have strong LTE there, an outdoor antenna can sometimes amplify LTE interference.
There probably is LTE here if I had to bet. Thing is, the inside wall antenna picks up Ch 4 without issues. The attic antenna is pulling more stations and stronger signal than the wall antenna ever did. That's why I'm thinking the signal is fine, but the coax cable loss is what's causing a weak signal at the TV.

A have two other HD TVs up stairs using the same model flat wall antenna and they both pull in channels pretty good (KOMO 4 comes in OK on them). I was planning on putting one of those TVs on the splitter too, but if I bypass the splitter and it fixes the weak signal on the down stairs TV then I'll just run that TV on the attic antenna and keep the other TVs on the inside wall antennas.

Last edited:
Ch 30 is getting pretty close to LTE freqs. LTE is taking over what used to be the High UHF and OTA is being squeezed into the lower UHF and Hi-VHF range. The outdoor antennas tuned for UHF are normally tuned to the middle of the 14-67 channel old UHF range and can amplify LTE enough to step on your tv signal. The indoor antenna does not provide any gain (think modern rabbit ears) and may drop off rapidly at higher freq (defacto LTE filter) where your attic antenna might have 7-12 db gain depending on design.
If its just the slight reduction in signal from the splitter, a preamp at the antenna might let you run a 3 or 4 way splitter to all your sets.

Last edited:
Ch 30 is getting pretty close to LTE freqs. LTE is taking over what used to be the High UHF and OTA is being squeezed into the lower UHF and Hi-VHF range. The outdoor antennas tuned for UHF are normally tuned to the middle of the 14-67 channel old UHF range and can amplify LTE enough to step on your tv signal. The indoor antenna does not provide any gain (think modern rabbit ears) and may drop off rapidly at higher freq (defacto LTE filter) where your attic antenna might have 7-12 db gain depending on design.
If its just the slight reduction in signal from the splitter, a preamp at the antenna might let you run a 3 or 4 way splitter to all your sets.
Here's the Seattle area digital OTA channels (link below). I'm getting the other digital channels 28 through 33 (like virtual/display channels 16 and 22) with a strong signal. If LTE is tromping Ch 30 (KOMO 4) then it's probably coming in a bit weaker from the broadcast tower than the others to start with, and/or the added attenuation by the splitter and coax cable length doesn't help. I'll update after I do the splitter by-pass test.

Last edited:
Back