TV and 2-year contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

OK, so if you have satellite TV you probably know what I'm talking about.

You sign a contract, and get satellite TV (Dish, or Directv) for the first year at a "pretty good" price, and then the second year it jumps up to a barely tolerable amount.

I'm with Direct, and have liked the service. But I'm now more than two years in, my bill keeps creeping up... I just called them and I'm shocked that they don't want to work with me.

I could go to the competitor and cut my bill nearly in half. But with Direct, the equipment is all paid off... I don't want their new receiver that will allow my to record 5 or 6 shows at once (get a life!) and it seems to me that they could keep me if they would drop the price at this point... until someday when I wanted new equipment.

It's as if once you've been a customer for two years, they have no interest in trying to keep you. Why is this?

Up here the 2 main cable carriers Verizon and Comcast do the exact same thing. So there's really nowhere to go. They have recently upped the leasing prices on equipment so perhaps that's an incentive to stay where you are.

They have internally decided it's more marketable to their Board of Directors or shareholders that they've "captured" new market share.

When one sets a metric, they get intended and unintended consequences.

Cut them off then sign back up in a month.

In my opinion DirecTV is very busy making applications that will allow you to watch TV on an iPad, or other device.

That said, from threads I've read on slickdeals, you have to speak to retentions. The normal person you call will not negotiate a lower price. You can hit slickdeals to find out what techniques get you a lower bill.

I'd go back to Dish right away, but the one channel I want is Velocity, which exists on Direct at the price point I want. On Dish it exists but I can't find it in the packages they publish...

I boycott paid for tv, because you still have to watch commercials. Paying for DVR and whatnot just adds to cost and their profit.

No way. We have far better things to do with our time than pay these ripoffs.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I boycott paid for tv, because you still have to watch commercials. Paying for DVR and whatnot just adds to cost and their profit.

Like post on BITOG
wink.gif
That sort of logic could apply to any leisure activity you choose not to participate in.

As to TV contracts. I think they don't offer current subscribers "renewal" deals because they know most subscribers, if generally happy, aren't going to switch to another provider (it's a PITA) just to get some short term deal from them too. I'm in exactly this boat, have the basic DirecTV service (HD, no DVR, no extra packages) and am happy with it. Mainly use it for various sports throughout the year which cannot be replaced by lower cost options. They have not raised the price much at all over the last 10 years. I've thought about switching to Fios in order to get the higher speed internet (currently have DSL), but once you get comparable packages and look at what you'll be paying after the promotions run out, it's not that attractive.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp

Like post on BITOG
wink.gif
That sort of logic could apply to any leisure activity you choose not to participate in.

As to TV contracts. I think they don't offer current subscribers "renewal" deals because they know most subscribers, if generally happy, aren't going to switch to another provider (it's a PITA) just to get some short term deal from them too. I'm in exactly this boat, have the basic DirecTV service (HD, no DVR, no extra packages) and am happy with it. Mainly use it for various sports throughout the year which cannot be replaced by lower cost options. They have not raised the price much at all over the last 10 years. I've thought about switching to Fios in order to get the higher speed internet (currently have DSL), but once you get comparable packages and look at what you'll be paying after the promotions run out, it's not that attractive.

jeff

Pretty much. Working for the company I do, that's definitely the case. Most people will never call in about their bill, they are pretty happy with what they have and don't want to go through the hassle of switching. And at least for Time Warner, we don't have contracts. Can't speak for any other providers.

I forgot that companies making money is a grave sin punishable by death
grin.gif

Here's the skinny. At least for TWC, over 40c of every dollar you pay us goes directly to the content providers and broadcasters. The rest goes to pay employee salaries (all 45,000+ of us), as well as maintain the Fiber optic/Coax infrastructure that gets the service to your house.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
And at least for Time Warner, we don't have contracts.

Nick, I'm in a contract with Time Warner right now; two years fixed price for cable/modem/phone.

You must be talking about a different kind of contract? Or maybe you are talking about "forced contracts", as in the only plan offered is a contract?

I live in a place where one can't get DSL OR FIOS, it ain't the sticks and it ain't a "low income" zip code. Apparently we don't sit in front of the boob tube "enough" to justify expansion by Verizon.

Originally Posted By: crw

You sign a contract, and get satellite TV (Dish, or Directv) for the first year at a "pretty good" price, and then the second year it jumps up to a barely tolerable amount.

I'm with Direct, and have liked the service. But I'm now more than two years in, my bill keeps creeping up... I just called them and I'm shocked that they don't want to work with me.

I could go to the competitor and cut my bill nearly in half. But with Direct, the equipment is all paid off... I don't want their new receiver that will allow my to record 5 or 6 shows at once (get a life!) and it seems to me that they could keep me if they would drop the price at this point... until someday when I wanted new equipment.

It's as if once you've been a customer for two years, they have no interest in trying to keep you. Why is this?

You need to learn how to work the system. We've had Directv for 5 years now. No complaints. But every year I call and say this:

Me: Hi, I would like to cancel my tv service at this time. Wife took a pay cut (she really did this year), and we are cutting back on our monthly bills.

DTV: Oh, sorry to hear that sir, let me transfer you to the "other" department and they will help you out.

Then I say the same thing to the next guy. But this "other" department is always very eager to help me out. Right away I get offers of $25-30 off each bill for a year, all the movie channels, upgrade to HD DVR for free. Not all together every year, but usually 2. Last time I called to cancel I got $30 off monthly bill for a year and all the extra movie channels free for a year.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
And at least for Time Warner, we don't have contracts.

Nick, I'm in a contract with Time Warner right now; two years fixed price for cable/modem/phone.

You must be talking about a different kind of contract? Or maybe you are talking about "forced contracts", as in the only plan offered is a contract?

Yes, exactly. We don't do contracts by default. What you have is called a Price Lock Garuntee, or PLG. They are completely voluntary. You have to specifically ask for it, and there are only a few reps (all of them in Customer Care) who can actually set one up. Normal Sales Reps can't do them.

This is different from Directv/Dish whom the only option is a 2 year contract.

Originally Posted By: stranger706

You need to learn how to work the system. We've had Directv for 5 years now. No complaints. But every year I call and say this:

Me: Hi, I would like to cancel my tv service at this time. Wife took a pay cut (she really did this year), and we are cutting back on our monthly bills.

DTV: Oh, sorry to hear that sir, let me transfer you to the "other" department and they will help you out.

Then I say the same thing to the next guy. But this "other" department is always very eager to help me out. Right away I get offers of $25-30 off each bill for a year, all the movie channels, upgrade to HD DVR for free. Not all together every year, but usually 2. Last time I called to cancel I got $30 off monthly bill for a year and all the extra movie channels free for a year.

Yep. Most providers have one of these departments.

Originally Posted By: stranger706

Yep. Most providers have one of these departments.

Yeah, I'm going to try that tomorrow. I was surprised when they didn't send me there immediately, but I'll give them one more chance.

We've had Dish since they came out and have been very pleased. The past 5 or 6 years our bill has been $59 and some change. I don't need a DVR anyways.
smile.gif

With the amount of [censored] on TV... why would I pay money to watch 200+ of trash programming ?

Been a while but There are no equipment costs any more for satellite. It's all leased and you have to send it back when you are done. So it may be cheaper to switch.

I evaluate my options every couple of years as we're not loyal to anyone. All I really need is good Internet. This time around FIOS was the best deal.

I do the same with Cellphones - the only reason I'm "loyal" to Verizon Wireless is that I get a 19% discount from my employer. I've had them all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
With the amount of [censored] on TV... why would I pay money to watch 200+ of trash programming ?

You wouldn't, of course. You may however decide that you like watching college basketball or Game of Thrones or Law and Order reruns or UFC or CNN etc. Then you decide what monthly price you're willing to pay to get those things you do want. If there's not enough that you want to watch to justify the price you'd need to pay, well then you skip on it.

Sorry I just find the tone of the "I'm not gonna pay for that garbage!!" posts to be sorta funny, in a Grandpa Simpson/Pop Rivit sorta of way. Everyone has leisure activities that other people would find stupid or wasteful, watching TV isn't any different.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back