Turn Signals?????????

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
For some unknown reason aging creates a need to use your turn signals less and less.. lol
Now nothing worse than a bozo not using their turn signals in a required situation or a fool riding around
all day with one on.

But at times I think age is catching up with me because situations like being in a dedicated turn lane where
you are smack in the middle of 12 cars with a red light I don't leave mine on.
When the light turns green and I start moving again I put them on.

Like driving a remote interstate at night when no other cars are around why do I need them to change lanes???
I see others use them while they are "turning out of" their own private lanes. Why?

When I need them to be safe or when other cars are around me I use them all the time.
How about you?

I've thought the same about using them when no one is around, but at a certain point it seems to be more work to consciously not use them in certain situations (rather than using them "automatically"), kind of like people who only wear seatbelts on longer trips - deciding not to seems to be more work than just doing it always. I pretty much use turn signals no matter what, as it seems simpler to not have to think about it (and it seems to be safer than having ambiguity about when they need to be used).

Driving properly with some courtesy has almost vanished.
I see so many in a rush for no reason and causing accidents . Along with signals people making left turns and drifting across lanes drives me nuts . Just one of many poor driving habits you see now.

Driving properly with some courtesy has almost vanished.
I see so many in a rush for no reason and causing accidents . Along with signals people making left turns and drifting across lanes drives me nuts . Just one of many poor driving habits you see now.
Yep … once again today there is nobody behind me when a jerk pulls out in front of me …

Just my observation but the people going to the local Chik-Fil-A do not use their turn signals. They just stop and I'm left to guess what they're doing while they get in the line for the drive through to get their fast food.

Just my observation but the people going to the local Chik-Fil-A do not use their turn signals. They just stop and I'm left to guess what they're doing while they get in the line for the drive through to get their fast food.
Yes and they wait inline for 15 minutes and when it is time to order they start figuring out what they want.
I hate that.......... Uh...Uh..... Duh!

Using my turn signal is so second nature I can’t imagine not using it.

I had coworker try to convince me years ago that turn signals were not needed. She tried explaining that if you see a car wanting to switch lanes or move over then we should be smart enough to realize that.

She was crazy, I don’t know where she is now.

I'm not sure why people use them and some times they don't.

When I'm in a left turn only lane, why do I need one? There's only one way I can (legally) go.

I don't understand why people use them going out of their own driveway either....

For some unknown reason aging creates a need to use your turn signals less and less.. lol
Now nothing worse than a bozo not using their turn signals in a required situation or a fool riding around
all day with one on.

But at times I think age is catching up with me because situations like being in a dedicated turn lane where
you are smack in the middle of 12 cars with a red light I don't leave mine on.
When the light turns green and I start moving again I put them on.

Like driving a remote interstate at night when no other cars are around why do I need them to change lanes???
I see others use them while they are "turning out of" their own private lanes. Why?

When I need them to be safe or when other cars are around me I use them all the time.
How about you?

You use the turn signals out of habit, like it's second nature. It also helps avoid the tickets.

Agree, sometimes,.people don't know what turn signals are.

Its the times when you turn the wheel very very slightly (so the turn stalk does not automatically disengage) OR when you have like 5 turns in a row that it takes the most discipline to use, sometimes coming off a ramp, it is like "well there is nobody there"... and its tempting..

Continue to use the signals!

When I'm in a left turn only lane, why do I need one? There's only one way I can (legally) go.

I don't understand why people use them going out of their own driveway either....

This is like my thread about those that ALWAYS make WIDE turns (when you're supposed to always turn to the lane closest to you.)

If people do so out of their own driveway, that to me says.. choice. About the Turn Only lane.. yes I see your point.

Put it on if police are there, I would say. You'd be surprised.

I tend to think the same way.

But I can see why it makes sense: how many times have you seen someone in the wrong lane--yet they don't don't seem to know it? Turn-only yet they power through, oblivious, or perhaps they make eye contact with you, hoping to recover from getting stuck in the wrong lane? A turn signal should make explicit what one is going to do.

Of course, driving defensively means trying to read what others are doing, no getting around that.

But I can see why it makes sense: how many times have you seen someone in the wrong lane--yet they don't don't seem to know it? Turn-only yet they power through, oblivious, or perhaps they make eye contact with you, hoping to recover from getting stuck in the wrong lane? A turn signal should make explicit what one is going to do.

Of course, driving defensively means trying to read what others are doing, no getting around that.

When I'm in a turn lane behind many cars I leave them off until the line starts to go. Then I turn them on
As across the intersection the cars turning need to know you are actually turning left instead of doing a bone head maneuver and going straight.
I just don't want my signals on for 10 minutes at a light especially when I am not the lead car.

Like many have said, it's a habit, or maybe call it a practice. Signaling every intended turn means I don't have to waste mental energy thinking about exceptions. I also put on my seatbelt every time, even when I don't plan on getting into a wreck.

I've thought about this most recently as a pedestrian. Many times while walking or running, I'm about to cross a street when a car with no signal turns instead of going straight. You don't always know who is around and watching for your signal.

But I can see why it makes sense: how many times have you seen someone in the wrong lane--yet they don't don't seem to know it?
Just about the same amount of times I've seen someone with a turn signal on not turning.

Turn-only yet they power through, oblivious, or perhaps they make eye contact with you, hoping to recover from getting stuck in the wrong lane? A turn signal should make explicit what one is going to do.

Yes. That comes with experience. I'm getting better.

Back