Turn Signal Problem

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've been getting an intermittent indication (fast flasher indicator) that my left turn signal isn't working. Example: pulled out of space, turned the signal on, flasher was rapid. Drove a bit, turned the signal on, flasher was normal. At various times I checked the signals using the reflection from the car in front of me. The light does work intermittently.

Now, since the bulb does work, what other issues should I look for? Loose bulb? I'd like to do as much as I can by myself before considering a shop.

Thanks!

Determine if it is the front or rear bulb. Replace that bulb. Bulbs become intermittent. Any time something involving an incandescent bulb doesn't light up, consider that it is the bulb before troubleshooting further.

Determine if it is the front or rear bulb. Replace that bulb. Bulbs become intermittent. Any time something involving an incandescent bulb doesn't light up, consider that it is the bulb before troubleshooting further.
So, even though I don't see the light from the front bulb, it could actually be the rear bulb that's causing the problem, yes?

The bulb filament can intermittently make contact when it's going bad. I'd replacethe bulb, but use gloves. Oils from your hands will shorten bulb life when you handle incandescent bulbs bare handed.

I was riding with my friend who hails from Winchester, UK. Someone failed to "indicate". His window rolled down and a huge amount of colorful British insults filled the air. 😧

Check the ground for that side blinker circuit. I've had intermittent blinker operation on my 98 Chevy K3500 truck due to a bad ground at the rear of the truck.

The other day I noticed that my right side blinker on my 92 Cavalier was blinking very slow while the left side was normal. I checked outside the car and all blinkers were working. The next day the right side quit blinking at all and the right front blinker bulb had burned out.

Check the ground for that side blinker circuit. I've had intermittent blinker operation on my 98 Chevy K3500 truck due to a bad ground at the rear of the truck.

The other day I noticed that my right side blinker on my 92 Cavalier was blinking very slow while the left side was normal. I checked outside the car and all blinkers were working. The next day the right side quit blinking at all and the right front blinker bulb had burned out.
I wouldn't know how to check the ground. Is some scanner or tool needed, or do I just look for a loose wire?

I wouldn't know how to check the ground. Is some scanner or tool needed, or do I just look for a loose wire?
You really need a wiring diagram to look at the blinker circuit on the side you are having problems with so you can see where the ground wire attaches. A test light and a multimeter would also be helpful to have in trying to track this down. Alldata DIY is a paid website that can give you access to wiring diagrams and other info. You can pay for a day, a few days or a year.

You really need a wiring diagram to look at the blinker circuit on the side you are having problems with so you can see where the ground wire attaches. A test light and a multimeter would also be helpful to have in trying to track this down. Alldata DIY is a paid website that can give you access to wiring diagrams and other info. You can pay for a day, a few days or a year.
Thank you so very much. I'll look into these things when I return from my trip north. (y) (y)

Reactions: wtd
I've been getting an intermittent indication (fast flasher indicator) that my left turn signal isn't working. Example: pulled out of space, turned the signal on, flasher was rapid. Drove a bit, turned the signal on, flasher was normal. At various times I checked the signals using the reflection from the car in front of me. The light does work intermittently.

Now, since the bulb does work, what other issues should I look for? Loose bulb? I'd like to do as much as I can by myself before considering a shop.

Thanks!
Change the bulbs front/back(or specific bulb) is easiest solution and most likely culprit. It could be intermittent failure .

Getting into wiring is barking up wrong tree at this point especially if replacing bulbs is under 1 hr DIY fix.

Last edited:
Could be bulb. If not, I would think likely ground.

You didn't mention vehicle - I presume the turn signal is handled by something like a BCM, not an old school flasher - correct?

Change the bulbs front/back(or specific bulb) is easiest solution and most likely culprit. It could be intermittent failure .

Getting into wiring is barking up wrong tree at this point especially if replacing bulbs is under 1 hr DIY fix.
All I'm trying to do is understand the possible causes and options to fix the problem. Whenever I do repairs, I always start with the simplest possibility first, so of course I'll change the bulb before doing anything else.

Back