trying to narrow down which tire dressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've never been a big user of tire dressings. My non-daily driver is my 2006 F250 Diesel. I just put 20" Harley Davidson Ford wheels on it and some Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65/20 tires on it.

I would like to do my best at keeping the tires looking good. A few nights ago I tried some of the Meguiar's Hot Shine Gel with an applicator pad and it was a real pain to cover the large wheels. I had a hard time applying it as it was my first experience with a wipe on gel. I really want to get it off and go with a water based dressing.

I have been doing quite a bit of reading and research on who likes what and there are many options out there. I've narrowed it down to two options: Water based silicone and solvent based silicone dressings
LOL.gif
J/J. That really narrows it down.

I've read good reports on Zaino Z-16, Adams VRT, Aerospace 303 protectant, Meg's Hot Shine, Black Magic Matte Finish, etc. I priced the 303 at my local West Marine and its $22.00 for 32oz of the stuff. Pretty pricey in my mind.

I'm leaning towards an all purpose water based dressing that can be used on the interior as well. I'm trying not to be OCD about this.

Opinions?

Megs have some spray shine aerosol nice shine a bit sticky give it a try ...

Stoners products +1 I don't know about tire shine but Windows Cleaners

The solvent based dressings will last longer than the water based ones, but they can cause their own issues like slinging onto paint and browning of tires.

Zaino Z16 actually holds up well over a couple weeks, weather permitting. It's probably the best water based dressing out there in terms of durability. It's been 3 weeks since I washed my truck and the tires still look good with Z16.

303 is good stuff but kind of overkill at that price. On tires its no better than most any other water based dressing.

Best thing to do is try a few and see what you like. I must have near 10 products on hand that can be used on tires, and I pretty much stick to Zaino Z16.

EDIT

I was close, 9 tire dressings on hand.

303, Zaino Z16, Vinylex, Prima Nero, Armor All Tire Foam, Eagle One Concours (old skool), and three from Mothers, Reflections, FX and Preserves.

Drag your truck on over and you can try any one you want.

I'm partial to Meg's Endurance tire gel. Different than the Hot Shine you used. Sprays leave overspray marks on my blacktop, YMMV. Try a grout sponge as an applicator for the bigger tires.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
The solvent based dressings will last longer than the water based ones, but they can cause their own issues like slinging onto paint and browning of tires.

Zaino Z16 actually holds up well over a couple weeks, weather permitting. It's probably the best water based dressing out there in terms of durability. It's been 3 weeks since I washed my truck and the tires still look good with Z16.

303 is good stuff but kind of overkill at that price. On tires its no better than most any other water based dressing.

Best thing to do is try a few and see what you like. I must have near 10 products on hand that can be used on tires, and I pretty much stick to Zaino Z16.

EDIT

303, Zaino Z16, Vinylex, Prima Nero, Armor All Tire Foam, Eagle One Concours (old skool), and three from Mothers, Reflections, FX and Preserves.

If you lived closer, I sure would! The 303 and Zaino surely have me curious.
How do you apply your Zaino and where do you get it from?

I use 303 protectant, its hard to beat and goes a long way for the price, I also use it on all rubber and plastic.

Meguiares ENDURANCE is good, I hate applying it, because my hands feel like they're siliconized afterwords, and the Grape smell makes me want candy.

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
I'm partial to Meg's Endurance tire gel. Different than the Hot Shine you used. Sprays leave overspray marks on my blacktop, YMMV. Try a grout sponge as an applicator for the bigger tires.

I agree, this is what I use. It does last weeks !

If you want something cheaper, water based, and enough to last you some time, check out Meguiar's D171 Water Based Dressing. It is in the Detailer line, can be diluted 1:1 (makes 2 gallons to use), and can be used inside and out. The gallon is on sale for $23 at Auto Detailing Solutions.

So, 256oz. of dressing that can be used in and out for $23 vs. 32oz. of tire dressing alone for $6.

Spray it on before you dry the paint and wheels, then any overspray will be wiped off when you dry.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Originally Posted By: bretfraz

EDIT

If you lived closer, I sure would! The 303 and Zaino surely have me curious.
How do you apply your Zaino and where do you get it from?

You can get Zaino products from http://www.zainostore.com

I apply Z16 to a foam tire swipe, then paint onto the tires. Unlike solvent-based dressings, Z16 will dry so you can apply a second coat for more shine, or use the tire swipe damp to create a satin look.

I like more of a "clean, matte" finish. Here are my favorites:

- Black Magic Titanium Matte Tire Finish

- No Touch Original Tire Care (SATIN) - Wal-Mart used to carry this for $2.xx/can. Can't seem to find it there anymore. Costco only has the extreme shiny stuff. I use this on fender wells & tires.

- Stoner More Shine - Apply only 1 coat for a "dull satin finish".

I use 303 on interior and some exterior trim, but can't really see spending that much for tire care.

I don't like the gel-like dressings.

I have only used megs natural shine and hot shine. I have the gold class endurance tire gel i have not used yet.

I did apply megs hyper dressing (think 2:1) and they looked great for about a week, even in rain

I attempted to wash off the Hot Shine Gel last night with some simple green and I think the Meg's Hot Shine gel won the fight. It may take some time for it to wear off.

I've got three to try as of now. I think I may add some 303 Aerospace protectant since I can get it locally. I don't really feel like ordering online and paying for shipping.
Stoner's from O'reilly's and the other two are from a local bulk distribution company. They carry Auto Magic and also make some of their own home brew. The white one is water based silicone and the blue is solvent based silicone. I'm not really familiar with Auto Magic, but what the heck.

tiredressings.jpg

Auto Wax Inc, parent company to Auto Magic is a huge company that focuses on pro detailers, car washes, auctions, etc. They're were recently sold to Illinois Tool Works (ITW) so you can now buy their stock if you want.

Auto Magic is also the parent co to Clay Magic, and they hold the US patent to paint detailing clay.

While maybe not boutique quality, most of AM's stuff is very good. They're not interested in the mass retailer business and they test all their products in the field before selling them to detailers. Check out their website; they have some good educational videos there.

Good choice on their stuff, esp if the price is right.

I like the Meg's Natural Shine for my tires. I suppose its actually intended for interior use but it gives the perfect shine for my tires. I like for the tire to look brand new rather than shiny and greasy. Thats just my preference and the Natural Shine is perfect for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back