Trying to Fix Finish on 1991 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied Kit Scratch Out to it after washing it, then applied a coat of Turtle Wax, but the rain doesn't bead up on it when it rains. The finish feels kind of rough. The car has never been garaged that I know of. It's my neighbor's car.

Any suggestions?

Sounds to me like fallout from airborne contaminants (acid rain, etc.)

I would wash the car, leave it wet, and get one of the clay kits found in the detail aisle of the auto parts store.

Clay the car using the supplied lubricant until you see no more dirt (maybe twice.) Then rewash it, and wax it. you should be good to go.

Or, the paint could just be shot....

Last edited:
OK thanks.

Maybe I'll try the clay bar on it one of these days and if that doesn't help I'll apply the clay bar to my own car.

Both our cars are white but the finish on mine is much better, but mine has been garaged.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
I applied Kit Scratch Out to it after washing it, then applied a coat of Turtle Wax, but the rain doesn't bead up on it when it rains. The finish feels kind of rough. The car has never been garaged that I know of. It's my neighbor's car.

Any suggestions?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1561242#Post1561242

Couple of thoughts.

1. If the car is left outside in the spring time, water often won't bead on it, if there is a layer of pollen/dust on it. These things foul the waxed surface causing it to attract water.

2. What turtle wax product did you use?

3. If the surface is rough, you want to figure out if that is due to the paint surface being worn, or if its due to stuck on contamination.

Usually with older cars its a combination of both.

Kit scratch out is very mild polishing compound, so in some cases with older cars you may need something stronger, or an extra followup round of kit scratch out.

The Corolla is single stage paint, no clear coat. A rotary buffer with a wool pad and hard core polish/compound is the first step after the clay. The clay may or may not do anything on paint that old, do a trial spot first.

I did a white 2003 Corolla and the clay did absolutely nothing, had to go straight to the big guns. Rubbing over the counter products on the paint is a lesson in futility.

If you need something with more cut than KIT scratch out, the TW Premium rubbing/polishing compounds should do a good job. Meguire's "Ultimate compound" is also highly spoken of.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
The Corolla is single stage paint, no clear coat.

That might explain why their paint starts to look so bad before they are even ten years old. I'll have to look closer next time, I have a friend with a 1999 and another with a 2001.

My 1991 Accord had clear coat, but around 12 years of age it started peeling on the hood and roof. I am sure my 1994 Civic had clear coat too, no peeling when I sold it in late 2008.

Hi,

I used plain Turtle Wax on top of Kit Scratch Out. Maybe I'll try another round of KSO and TW one of these days. If that doesn't work I don't know if the owner would want to invest money into getting it pro finished.

Thanks.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back